[BUILD] OV560 (Neumann OV60 in API500 format)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[silent:arts] said:
how many dBs?

I guess it's not really Gain I'm missing, both pictures in my previous post were with the same setting, but they show me that I've got some kind of band-pass going on somewhere.

[silent:arts] said:
no real fun, but if you have cool desoldering skills cross-change the output PCB.

I'll see if we can find the desoldering wire somewhere..

EDIT: Traced it back to an error of my own!!
I misplaced two WIMA's...!! dumb stupid mistake...
Maybe one for the error log: switching C4 with C7 and visa versa will result in loss of lows and highs!!

All is well now...!!

I thought I'd show you guys how the OV560 sound, you'll have to use you imagination...

Schermafbeelding%202013-04-19%20om%2008.20.27.jpg

Flat

Schermafbeelding%202013-04-19%20om%2008.20.57.jpg

80Hz Low-cut

Schermafbeelding%202013-04-19%20om%2008.21.24.jpg

140Hz Low-cut

Eliani said:
EDIT: Traced it back to an error of my own!!
I misplaced two WIMA's...!! dumb stupid mistake...
Maybe one for the error log: switching C4 with C7 and visa versa will result in loss of lows and highs!!

Ups - I missed the edit - and already wanted to ask how it was going.
Congrats!

Finished my build... The mic input works great, phantom power works too, but get nothing when i plug my guitar into the HIz input... Switched to a pikatron hiz-plugin and the same... Nothing... HiZ led turns on but nothing seems to be getting in...

Anywayz, more tests tomorrow... Here are some of my pics D:

Congrats first!

Can't be anything major with the HiZ.
So, with a Mic connected, does the sound disappear completely when switched to HiZ?
If yes great - the relay is working.

Now nothing more left, if it doesn't work with either HiZ plug-in, since the pikatron is passive ...

Well, i didnt touch anything but now evereything seems to work so i guess tiny elves came at night and fixed it... (either that or i had my guitar volume pot at 0, it was late :D )

I love it when everything's ok and u can safely and confidently put a new piece of gear in your rack :D:D:D

what are you guys using your ov's for these days?

…maybe this helps others in the future.

If it's wrong, i will find out later ;)

Cheers, Sven

Attachments

• BLUECAPS-CHECK.jpg
    BLUECAPS-CHECK.jpg
    767 KB · Views: 94
…it wasn't wrong ;)

What a great sounding and easy to build kit!

Thanks, Sven

Attachments

• OV560_done.jpg
    OV560_done.jpg
    589.2 KB · Views: 87
Marc Duchesne said:
Is r23 ajusted for 0 vdc... Can't find info's ?

From the schematic, it seems like a offset compensation.
Would make sense as it is placed between both supply rails.

Didn't take too much care about it when building mine...

Best,
Carsten

culteousness1 said:
Marc Duchesne said:
Is r23 ajusted for 0 vdc... Can't find info's ?

From the schematic, it seems like a offset compensation.
Would make sense as it is placed between both plus rails.

Didn't take too much care about it when building mine...

Best,
Carsten

yes, it is an offset compensation, R23 should be set for 0v at IC2 pin 6.
The matter is that is needed there an high impedance, so there is R23 to avoid the (not so low) offset voltage that's given mainly by the (not so low) input bias current of IC2.

In all OV560 I have build R23 just needed little adjustments, the trimmer is nearly perfect as delivered (middle position).
I do the calibration like with NEVE units, adjusting for equal clipping at the output.
(easier than measuring 0V exactly)

Marc Duchesne said:
Now, I do have a low frequency oscillation when the DI input is selected. With and without signal input.
Anyone had that happening...

Thanks again ...

which are the gain positions that do oscillations?

just to understand, please disconnect the hiz plugin and try without it.

Hi guys, I had the PC board mounting screws loose (did not make much difference though). I also had an 1176 plug patched and cranked up on the input of my UA Apollo, stupid me.
Although the signal is much lower now and I can use it this way, there is still a little hum of oscillations on the DI in if I crank up the pre gain.
I might leave it this way though since it does not bother me too much...

This pre is very good and different from my other pre's, I like it very much. Smooth and rich mid-range with just enough high gives me different color combinations specially for female vocals. :)

Thanks !!

Volker,

I have a pair of your kits completed and I'm trying to calibrate them, but it seems that the trimmer resistor isn't affecting anything. Is it possible that I have bad resistors? They pass audio and sound pretty awesome on bass, but I'd like to make sure they are properly set up.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back