Building a U47 using SCT-700 body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rixsta

Hey all

I have a T-bone SCT700 mic that I think can be used as a body to convert to U47

It currently has a Thiersch blue line capsule in and a couple of modded caps and a JJ valve in which sounds a lot better that's to help from members here!
I originally intended to convert to a U47 then looking back a few years later I now see group buys have changed and things have changed.

I'm finally ready to convert this to U47 FET or valve not sure yet which.

Was just wondering if
A: anyone has any boards, components etc which may be useful hey may sell? Or where to find the parts online.. What are people building here? I'm in the UK 🇬🇧 

B: which circuit etc is recommended which will fit this typical U47 style?  body that I have the SCT700 microphone.

C: I had a chance last night to buy a Rode K2 mic cheap and put my capsule in it (something stopped me hitting the buy it button lol

I heard it's not made for this type of M7 capsule although someone on gearslutz seemed to put one in.. and also I felt that why go for second best when a couple of years ago when I looked into it all and listened to many samples on the internet it was the U47 that had that sound I felt most called to!

Thankyou

Kind of confused. You want a U47FET or a U47 tube style microphone? Why are you dead set on using the body of this mic? Does it not make you happy? It sounds like you did some mods to it and I don't see why it shouldn't be as good as any other mic. If you want to build a U47FET you can do it pretty cheap. Go to the whitelist page and look at bodies by Chunger and Boards by poctop. If you're deadset on using the body and capsule you already have you can find out the dimension of that body and see if they're compatible with any of the Poctop boards.

Ryan

I would forget the whole PCB and build something new.
The problem with the SCT-700 is that there is not very much space inside.
I would prefer a "real" U47-style body when I had to create something new.
As far as I remember, the SCT-700 transformer wasn't bad, so you can use it in a new design.

I have had very good results with a K47 capsule, an EF806 tube and a 10:1 transformer.
Simple circuit, sounds great!

FarisElek said:
Kind of confused. You want a U47FET or a U47 tube style microphone? Why are you dead set on using the body of this mic? Does it not make you happy? It sounds like you did some mods to it and I don't see why it shouldn't be as good as any other mic. If you want to build a U47FET you can do it pretty cheap. Go to the whitelist page and look at bodies by Chunger and Boards by poctop. If you're deadset on using the body and capsule you already have you can find out the dimension of that body and see if they're compatible with any of the Poctop boards.

Ryan

Thanks, Not sure yet if to build the Fet U47 or Valve
Im just set on using the body of this mic as when I looked into it a few years ago people were using this body for one of the U47 clones.
I am not sure if this modded microphone can really compare to the classic U47 circuit ? not sure if this is a "class-a" circuit which I tend to prefer the sound of.

Thanks for the info there, I've never gone to the White Market page :)
Ill have a look!

RuudNL said:
I would forget the whole PCB and build something new.
The problem with the SCT-700 is that there is not very much space inside.
I would prefer a "real" U47-style body when I had to create something new.
As far as I remember, the SCT-700 transformer wasn't bad, so you can use it in a new design.

I have had very good results with a K47 capsule, an EF806 tube and a 10:1 transformer.
Simple circuit, sounds great!
Hmm yes
Maybe I should buy one of those bodies from here on group DIY and start a build, keep this current microphone functional.
It's more money but that way I would have two very different microphones.

My heart is definitely set on the U47 sound but I guess next I should find out if its the FET or Valve that calls me.

I also had thought that my SCT700 body was similar to the Alctron GT-2B which has been used to create a U47 Valve

Rixsta, if you’re interested, I have an in-progress U47 build that I have been too busy to finish for the last several months—I’m thinking about selling the parts to someone who wants to build their own. The wiring needs to be finished but the PCBs are finished. All top quality parts (Thiersch, AMI, etc). If you’re interested, let me know.

Latest posts

Back