Bus Source Impedance (w / opamps)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5v333 said:
Transformers you say... Have to take a look at that. Any old desks using such methods?
Incredibly impractical as you increase the number of channels. Requirements on parasitics (leakage capacitance) too stringent. Resulting increase in impedance also needs attention.

As said, with good control of impedance and grounding, you can get "lossless" mixing.

Well actually half the power of a single source is absorbed by the other sources, not the load.

The parasitics eat you up for more than a small number of sources.

And what the heck is the problem?? We are Audio Techs! The thing that separates us from plain Telephone Workers is that we work directly with Amplifiers. We are usually over-supplied with amplification.

Attachments

• Series-Mix-1934.gif
    Series-Mix-1934.gif
    30.2 KB · Views: 21
5v333 said:
I get that the summing resistors presents voltage dividers among them. Just wanted to know if this method is universal law.

Jr that would be cool to have a look at!
I described it in a magazine article back in 1980, and I'm sure I have cut and pasted a schematic block here at least once, maybe more. It was used in production in an AMR console series back in the '90s...

Transformers you say... Have to take a look at that. Any old desks using such methods?

Im studying summing in digital domain and its funny all this came up.
Summing more stems  in the digital domain actually gives you more signal or more resolution depending on how you crunch it. Even my lossless current source summing had a cumulative noise build up from the active synthesized current sources adding incoherently, but it was respectable for analog technology a few decades ago.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
One more time around the block... Back in the 80s I developed a bus structure using synthesized current sources so I could sum any number of stem with no insertion loss or noise gain build up... 

but yawn... digital summing is arbitrarily perfect.

JR

The bruise on your forehead must be quite sore by now JR.

Cheers

Ian

abbey road d enfer said:
Incredibly impractical as you increase the number of channels. Requirements on parasitics (leakage capacitance) too stringent. Resulting increase in impedance also needs attention.

Yes - it's hardly practical in implementation.
Still interesting in concept though :)

ruffrecords said:
The bruise on your forehead must be quite sore by now JR.

Cheers

Ian
It had almost healed but there are always newbies who haven't heard my old stories.

Coincidentally last weekend I got a PM (on another forum) from a guy in Portugal with questions about how to put back together an old  AMR 32x16 Production Series basket case he got from a friend for $0..  Still getting service calls 25 years later, but that's what I get for admitting I designed it on the WWW...  ::)

JR

JohnRoberts said:
It had almost healed but there are always newbies who haven't heard my old stories.

Coincidentally last weekend I got a PM (on another forum) from a guy in Portugal with questions about how to put back together an old  AMR 32x16 Production Series basket case he got from a friend for $0..  Still getting service calls 25 years later, but that's what I get for admitting I designed it on the WWW...  ::)

JR

Dont worry i just thought it sounded inovative and interesting. Not looking for a design to build just been thinking alot latly about the summing concept in analogue/digital.

5v333 said:
Dont worry i just thought it sounded inovative and interesting. Not looking for a design to build just been thinking alot latly about the summing concept in analogue/digital.
I spent decades thinking about the difficult parts of console design.

Almost on topic for this thread is that a passive summer with make up gain will pretty much require the same amount of gain as the noise gain of virtual earth sum amp with the same number of stems.  My current source approach overcame that  Nx noise gain, but I repeat at this point it is academic, or moot.

JR

Latest posts

Back