C12 with Moby's V2545

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapfoot

I might be first-past-the-post with this one.

I designed the power supply myself. It's regulated DC heaters similar to Matador's supply, but the B+ side incorporates a 20H choke and a lot of filtering. Back-biasing similar to C12 to achieve the negative bias supply.

FLEA body
Campbell CT12
GE five-star 6072; triple mica variety
@Moby V2545
Philips RN65 resistors, Ohmite Mini-Mox high-value resistors
Sprague Vitamin Q (CP04) output coupling cap
Philips polystyrene capacitors

I have lots of build progress pics if anyone is interested, but I'll just post a few close to the end. No "glamour shots" yet; maybe later once I get the second mic completed

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2046.jpgIMG_2043.jpgIMG_2050.jpgIMG_2052.jpg

The attached audio file is just a quick test with acoustic guitar (you may be able to hear my soldering station clicking away in the background!)

I wasn't really intending this to be a "demo" (more like "proof of life"), so I'm not sure the mic placement is optimal (it's addressing the neck-body joint and a bit too close; if making an actual recording I might back it off a bit and address the body a little more). There's also obviously no processing of any kind... just the mic into a Seventh Circle N72 into a Lynx converter

I'm pretty well pleased so far. Gotta spend some more time with it.

View attachment Audio 1-Norm_23-01.wav

I might be first-past-the-post with this one.
Perhaps I came in second place half a day after you. Your recording sounds really good. Well played. Our microphones are almost identical but you guitar skills are way better :). Did you struggle to find 6072 with low noise? I've tried a lot of them and generally I find them noisy, especially RCA.

Last edited:
Perhaps I came in second place half a day after you. Your recording sounds really good. Well played. Our microphones are almost identical but you guitar skills are way better :). Did you struggle to find 6073 with low noise? I've tried a lot of them and generally I find them noisy, especially RCA.
Thanks so much!

I paid a fairly large amount for some well-tested NOS GE five-star 6072 (the triple-mica spacer version).

I didn't have any issues with noise, but I certainly paid for the privilege

A few more photos of these mic systems now that they're complete.

I received a couple of nice wooden boxes in the mail from FLEA today. They were kind enough to make me some without any logo.

I'd still love a bit of engraving on the body tubes (just to make clear at a glance which side was the front), but I'm pretty happy with how they came outIMG_2153.jpgIMG_2152.jpgIMG_2141.jpgIMG_2135.jpgIMG_2139.jpg

Awesome builds! Makes me want to build a second one even more :D
Did you try different output caps? I do have some Russian PIO caps laying around but I used a new film cap instead.

I did a lot of measuring and I had a lot of different paper-in-oil and metallized paper caps

Ultimately this vitamin Q fit perfectly and measured great, so I just went with it without auditioning others

I suspect many different caps could sound good

Latest posts

Back