L251 Capsule - anyone use one? Also CK12 options in general.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering this because I regularly receive expensive microphones for repair from people who record themselves in a bedroom. (They probably think: if it doesn't sound good, at least it's not the microphone :) ...)
It's never the microphone. Unless you are Lady Gaga.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230813_183111.jpg
    Screenshot_20230813_183111.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 2
Did you ever hear the saying ,
'You cant polish a turd'
:D

Sometimes even the very best equipment can sound bad in the hands of an inexperienced engineer ,
while even medochre gear can sound amazing when its used properly and the artist has the talent .

Im not sure how the rest of you feel about Lady Gaga , but I personally cant hear what all the fuss is about ,
Pop music to me died many years ago .

Last edited:
Sometimes even the very best equipment can sound bad in the hands of an inexperienced engineer ,
while even medochre gear can sound amazing when its used properly and the artist has the talent .
I have heard many examples of this!
There was an old sound engineer who could create a perfect sound with limited equipment.
I once entered the control room he was working in and looked for a playing record or CD.
But he was recording the musicians at that very moment!
On the contrary, we had a big music studio (36 channel Neve desk, Studer A80 multitrack, all channels Dolby A etc.) where a young engineer was working. It sounded like nothing!
(Later they named him jokingly: 'the concrete mixer'. :) )
Experience and knowing your equipment is the key!

Last edited:
I was involved as junior engineer recording an album here years back ,
all top class musicians ,
For a little diversionary time from the job at hand musicians started up a jazz improv live in studio ,
I made sure the dat tape was running capturing the monitor mix ,
Even though I was in the control room , watching what was happening in the studio with my own eyes , I still couldnt believe the quality of what my ears were hearing ,

I get the impression in the modern age of music recording many are lazy , mic and mic placement doesnt get much priority , what does is endless screen gawping and fiddling with computers .
Meanwhile the musicians are basically watching paint dry for hours and hours .
For me engagement of the visual senses is more of a distraction and a hindrance to listening .

I was wondering this because I regularly receive expensive microphones for repair from people who record themselves in a bedroom. (They probably think: if it doesn't sound good, at least it's not the microphone :) ...)
There are many "bedroom" producers around the world with top quality equipments some of them prepare world class recordings even in their small places (and if the singer is good too:)

I always wonder what all those people with their microphones built from super A+++ components are actually going to do with their DIY microphone(s)..
With a bit of luck and skill, the best thing would be to produce an international #1 hit soon, 15 gold and 4 platinum records, a Grammy... Ah yeah, and some nice chikkas, dancing around.... Joke 🍻😂👌 Cheers Ruud

I have :) There is a reason they chose mine.
can you elaborate why they chose yours @Tim Campbell ? are they still making the FK12 (maybe for Wunder CM12 or is it Haun? or yours again)? and BTW I've seen some of your original design capsules prototypes at RGO forum, I would love also to see original business mic model/s fully manufactured in Denmark and with a Campbell Transmitter emblem on it, that would be so cool to witness. :cool:

Last edited:
Flea stopped production of the F12 as soon as they started using mine. They just felt that mine was superior. The CK12 is complicated to build and by buying mine it saved them all those headaches. I believe it has been about 15 years or more that they have been using mine.

Did you ever hear the saying ,
'You cant polish a turd'
:D

Im not sure how the rest of you feel about Lady Gaga , but I personally cant hear what all the fuss is about ,
Pop music to me died many years ago .
You can definitely polish a turd…you just have to freeze it first😊

Flea stopped production of the F12 as soon as they started using mine. They just felt that mine was superior. The CK12 is complicated to build and by buying mine it saved them all those headaches. I believe it has been about 15 years or more that they have been using mine.
Hi Tim--What is the process for purchasing your CT12 capsules? I just completed an ELA M251 build and now I'm in search for a premium capsule to install. Thanks!

Hi Tim--What is the process for purchasing your CT12 capsules? I just completed an ELA M251 build and now I'm in search for a premium capsule to install. Thanks!
As I have mentioned a few times recently all my production for the time being is sold well in advance to OEM manufacturers

Latest posts

Back