Confirmation Bias

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

Quite recently someone posted a video here where a guy demonstrated saying " bah bah bah" synced to a video of a guy mouthing the same. This was followed by the same audio track but the guy was mouthing "fah, fah, fah" and that is what you heard even though you knew it was " bah, bah, bah" because you can hear it if you close your eyes.

Anyway I am waffling on for too long. Thing is a cannot find the video. Can someone point me to it?

Cheers

Ian

Sometimes we hear what we want to hear , thats a very old saying ,
AI and the internet hooks into our subconcious mind ,
attempts to hijack it ,
reminds me of that Captain Beefheart tune ,
'how does it feel , to be driven away by your own steering wheel'

I found myself limiting news intake of late , I switched the TV off around 20 years ago , I take a limited amount of internet print media and radio news , but of late radio is set to mute on the hour , religiously
I'm not a holocaust denier ,
but I wont take front row seats to witness it either ,

Thank you so much for the video Ian and JMan,
really nice experiment.

It's a great video to show to my students and exemplify when I teach them that we Listen with our Brain and not with our Ears
I chanced across another example where the audio a repeated line (I cannot rememeber if it was spoken or sung). The video showed the supposed text of the spoken/sung line and every few repeats the on screen text was changed. The effect is startling. Whenever the text changes what you hear changes to the new text but you can close our eyes and verify that the audio is is the same all the way though the video.

The bain is an amazing thing. Years ago I saw another video where a group of people were asked to watch a video of two football teams and the watchers were asked to count how many people were in one of the teams. At the end of the video they gave their answers. Then they were shown the video again but told just to watch it and not to count anything. They were all astonished to see a man in a gorilla suit wandering among the players. Not one of them had noticed him when they were concentrating on counting.

Cheers

Ian

When I was recording/mixing for record companies in the past, I aways had a fader half open without any sound under it. Then I was waiting for someone to say: "I think this or that could be a bit louder (or softer)".
Then I moved the 'fader without sound' in the corresponding direction, and usually the reaction was: "Yes, this is MUCH better!" :) At that moment I always thought: who is fooling who?...

I know a sound engineer who had a "producer encoder" on his control surface.

When the director / producer wanted something tiny bit more, he'd telle them he mapped it on this encoder so he could set the volume himself. Of course the encoder was mapped to nothing...

And i've stop counting the number of time a talent asks me for something in their monitor while i'm working on something else, then i hear: "Thanks! That's perfect!" And i'm thinking "what did he ask for again?".

Thomas

That's like the button for pedestrians on red lights. In most cases, these do absolutely nothing. It seems they reduce the number of accidents, though.

And i've stop counting the number of time a talent asks me for something in their monitor while i'm working on something else, then i hear: "Thanks! That's perfect!"....

Thomas

I chuckled when I read that, because I've had the same thing happen a thousand times when I changed something by maybe 1dB or else moved a completely unrelated fader. It long ago became my default technique when some chronic monitor jockey on the stage starts screaming, "More monitor, more monitor!," when it's already so stupid loud I can hear it over the FOH mains 20 meters away. Move an unrelated blank fader up a few dB or twist some knob while they're looking at you, and just about 100% of the time you get a nod or gesture of approval.

When I was recording/mixing for record companies in the past, I aways had a fader half open without any sound under it. Then I was waiting for someone to say: "I think this or that could be a bit louder (or softer)".
Then I moved the 'fader without sound' in the corresponding direction, and usually the reaction was: "Yes, this is MUCH better!" :) At that moment I always thought: who is fooling who?...
I know that trick too, it really works! 😅 The power of suggestion is strong. But I have to admit that it also works very well for me. How often have I "successfully" processed a signal with the EQ only to realize that I was on the wrong channel. Nothing has changed. A bit embarrassing!😬

Auditory hallucinations are some of the easiest to induce by suggestive means.

This how hifi is sold.

Even if slightly related, the essence of this is neither comparable to placebo nor to want-to-believe in cognitive-consonance perspective. It has much more character of fully fledged actual reality, which is why hifi discussions often tends to get so heated: After all it is a rather serious attack when someone questions the basis of your perception.

/Jakob E.

Menschen hören das, was sie zu hören erwarten

I would like to add the note that this whole suggestibility works the other way too.

If you are convinced that mains cables absolutely cannot make an difference in sound and someone claims to change different mains cables in a DB Test, of course you hear that they all sound the same.

If this person then reveals that what they ACTUALLY DID was to invert the polarity of one of the two channels and the mains cable was never changed and demonstrates sighted the effect of doing that, well...

Thor

Back