Cult DIY project: need your input

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jensenmann said:
How about a PDM compressor. There´s only a few around at all but they sound incredible. Crane Song STC8, Studer group/buss compressors or EMT156 are examples for commercial products. But it surely doesn´t have to be a clone. That´s boring. Since the technology behind this scheme is very advanced it could be interesting for Igor to get it up and running and for us a development-blog-kind-of-thing could provide us with a steep learning curve (if he wants to do all that typing).

Second this.

>  K+H UE100 clone for mastering....

+1 

That EQ would be a challenge, even for Igor!

the ue100 is an eq and one of the best ever, the charme of a digital controlled ue100 would be fast A/B possibility with complicated settings, you could use an ardouino board to switch the relays and build a plugin for Mac and PC with MAX/MSP Pluggo. I admit this is not a vintage design, I'd be fine with a black box behind my desk or under my studer. In practice this could be an incredible tool, I'm sure I'd use it every day !

nicholas

Already on the cards... Slenderchap already has a working prototype, it looks VERY cool!

Nadege said:
I would love a box like Audio&design's vocal stressor !

;D

Igor,

I've been thinking about a 'classic', yes I know... not very original, but how many of us pine over owning a 1073's?

The problem with it and it's brethren is the off board wiring and expense of the switches/knobs... why not look at doing something similar but all ONBOARD or at least a front panel via IDC/molex headers? Switches can still be quality like the Grayhills, or cheap like the lorins, split the freq/trim pots into separate units, allowing for single decks in the EQ's...

The inductors/transformers are easy to get ahold of, so no problems there and we buy them through Colin and continue to support other Forum members in their businesses.

We have yet to see a project like this evolve, lots of talk over several years, but nothing has materialized. We have a few 1272/1290 projects, but why not a 'channel' strip including the EQ?

Maybe with your sense of design Igor they can have a bit of a twist in the design/layout or functions?

While I think thing like a console are admirable, how many units would you sell? How many of us can afford to build our own console?

Now how many of us what an 1073's type clone? Yes, a fairly pricey endeavor, but one I think you would sell alot more of than any custom console/mastering gear etc... just a thought.

Cheers

Matt

jensenmann said:
Or to expand Matt´s project to a channelstrip á la 1073+2254

Jens,

I thought about this as well, but since Igor already has the 2254C comp out maybe a better option would be to make a board that allows you to add it to a 1073 type module and you can switch the order around, i.e Pre--> Eq ---> or Pre --> Comp ---> Eq?

It would save him time having to layout another PCB and allow him to not have to loose one product to bring us another... each path could have it's own ins/outs on the rear of the case?

It should also allow people like me who already have a SEPARATE 2254C to NOT use this in the case if I choose, so just Pre + Eq, but expandble to include the 2254C if you want.

Cheers

Matt

Stuff that I'd like to have in my rack: Something heliosish. Trident A Range Pre and EQ. Sum and aux modules to build small mixers.

I certainly wouldn't mind a "Neve" channelstrip. 1073+ 2254 :);D

But it should have selectable HF boost frequency  8)

I don't know if it's possible to put the compressor in front of the eq though  ???

I would applaud any new designs, maybe something like jensenmann suggested. There aren't a lot of hi end de-essers around either, any topology. Or multiband compressors. There are, what, none?

Sure a name brand clone will always sell better, and nothing wrong with that, but you've been doing this so long I'm sure you're perfectly capable of making a modern classic of your own.

;D
yeah a multiband compressor!!
i was thinking to eventually build a number of compressors and then a crossover and summer to experiment
but surely an integrated design would be something new

My vote would be for a stereo valve (where necessary) eq-compressor/limiter-distortion box type thing for running whole mixes through. That would be awesome!  8)

This may be off the radar but I would like to see a really high end converter - AD and DA.  The projects on this board seem to centre around front end of a signal chain and on processers.

I wish to make an AD/DA that can rival the big end.

Am I the only one???

To be honest, something that will get built. a lot of excitement over new ideas but not all the pcbs get built.

no stupid parts
functional rather than clever for the sake of it
1U or 2U but not cramped

recording / mixing / mastering pick one and aim it there rather than all things tp all men

Iain

I vote for a polished SSL comp with:

1) no caps in signalpath either by use of dc servo or transformer in and output.
2) a choice to use line receivers, drivers  (that, INA, drv) on in and outputs.
3) Maybe choice between normal opamps and DOA's if you want to make a mastrering version.
4) on board option for using parallel vca's (like those used in the original ssl).
5) like you said: all side-chain options at normally designed PCB, with easy wiring;
6) onboard psu using lm317 & lm337.
7) onboard hard bypass with relay's.
8 ) onboard choise between oxfort and gyraf mode.

This would proabely not sound like a ssl at all...it would be more like another go on the VCA compressor thing..

Thanks!

deuce42 said:
I wish to make an AD/DA that can rival the big end.

Am I the only one???

No, but this is a full SMD project. Almost none here have the means to deal with that. If someone was to offer baked, stuffed boards, it would hardly be DIY anymore. More like putting a motherboard in your PC.

Latest posts

Back