Cult DIY project: need your input

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
or one idea what everyone could use, mastering-mixing-recording:

-a bus box with different "sounds". switch between tube or ss/discrete/whatever, different iron (switchable),... basic volume control.

just for colour/glue, that's it!

No, but this is a full SMD project. Almost none here have the means to deal with that. If someone was to offer baked, stuffed boards, it would hardly be DIY anymore. More like putting a motherboard in your PC.
[/quote]

Kingston - I know that most commercial AD/DA's use SMD - but why does a high end converter need to use them?  Why cant it use conventional components?  Is this totally out of the question? Anyway, I guess since this is Igor's post he may have no interest in this anyway.

I personally feel that my front end is as good as it can really get and building another box is just creating another colour or flavour of the same thing. Between the choice of mic pre's made on this board, top end comp's and EQ's, yet another version of these (or a box which amalgamates these) is really just placing another flavour to the same gear. 

My guess is there are many members here whom are using "front heavy" set ups with average gear after that. A 1290/API into a LA2A/1176 and then into a Pultec actually seems like a slight waste if one is feeding the signal from these into a consumer converter. If nobody is interested in my suggestion, or if SMD is the only way to go, I will shut up about this and let Igor and everybody else decide.

Just my 2 cents/wish list:)

Igor like Freddy said before very good initiative...
I bet you will make a really nice project.

Now i heard some people begging for a 1073 type eq.
Let me tell you theres one in the works...and it wont be long before you see it here...
At the stages the prototype was sent to fab.....

deuce42 said:
I know that most commercial AD/DA's use SMD - but why does a high end converter need to use them?  Why cant it use conventional components? 

AFAIK, most, if not all, AD/DA converter IC's only come as SMD version....

EEMO1 said:
or one idea what everyone could use, mastering-mixing-recording:

-a bus box with different "sounds". switch between tube or ss/discrete/whatever, different iron (switchable),... basic volume control.

just for colour/glue, that's it!

I don't like the idea of having several expensive transformers, tubes, opamps in a box where you can only select one "signal path" at a time.

If I really need something that adds colour/transformer saturation without compressing, I'd use a preamp, which is virtually the same as a "colour" box, but you can use it as preamp too. Many studio's have many different preamps available so you can use different spices simultaneously.

Not too crazy about multiband compressors either. They usually just make things worse IMHO ...

I would love to have a new design on this forum, starting from scratch. But let's be realistic, who's gonna draw up a new design, spend hours testing, prototyping, tweaking etc, in the context of this project (non-nonprofit)

AD/DA Sounds nice though :)

ad/da is very difficult to realize and you can always order an evaluation board for a 100 bucks, we won't beat that prize.
keep the UE100 in mind, the tubes are cheap to get, lundahl makes the right transformers and chokes, if its without expensive ELMA switches
and digital controlled it might be "relative" cheap. you may integrate it into your DAW in a way that you will really use it on every track just like a
stupid plugin

nicholas

Ptownkid said:
1954U1 said:
Maybe a de-esser like this, or a MIDI controlled mastering comp?

The de-esser project is already designed and will be happening already. There was a BIG delay as I was trying not to lose my house...

Ah, great!

Sorry, I was wrongly thinking you abandoned the project..
Hope you still have your house!
The de-esser can wait  :)

deuce42 said:
This may be off the radar but I would like to see a really high end converter - AD and DA.  The projects on this board seem to centre around front end of a signal chain and on processers.

I wish to make an AD/DA that can rival the big end.

Am I the only one???

Actually I'd be well up for that too...

The dynamic EQ sounds good too.

radiance said:
deuce42 said:
I know that most commercial AD/DA's use SMD - but why does a high end converter need to use them?  Why cant it use conventional components?

AFAIK, most, if not all, AD/DA converter IC's only come as SMD version....

Not only that, but for best performance you want several of the support components to be very close to the converter chip, with minimal lead/trace length to reduce inductance. That makes SMD practically unavoidable.

JDB.

For me an analog modular consolle like API ,SSL HARRISON ETC
to configure on own needs channel by channel group by group etc etc
Ciao
Fabio

SMD is the conventional component these days.  Things are moving towards leadless packages like BGAs and Flatpacks.  I've soldered both with a heatgun, flux and solder paste.  It's not that bad but it certainly makes SMD look super easy.

It's time that people just start to learn how to work with SMD just like they did when going from point-to-point to PCBs.

Something like mOBiThs idea: a stereo compressor/limiter/saturator/distortion box. To add colours ranging from subtle compression over slightly overdriven satutation to plain distortion. A bit in between the Culture Vulture and the FATSO but then a more simple design?

Some kind of transient designer would be nice too.

seems like we have a lot of PRE'S/COMP'S/EQ'S and such..(which I love)

what we need is a great AD/DA converter!!

something where we can maximize digital output levels without overs,
and dither down to 16bit with high resolution 24bit detail!

anyone feel me?

building a DIY ad/da probably isn't a good idea.  While it could work ok, there would likely be too many ways to bugger it up when building it.  As stated by JDB, some parts need to be SMD for proper operation.  Not only do they need to be SMD but simple things like having too much flux on certain traces can cause erratic behavior in some cases too.

There are other issues here too, like popular consensus.  People like the OPAX134 parts but in reality those parts can't drive an A/D input well enough and your A/D might not sound as you expected it to.  Surely though people would build them with those parts regardless and then there would be hundreds of pages of "why doesn't my A/D sound right".

I guess what I'm trying to state in simple terms is that this would not be the normal "populate the PCB and add power" project that we have around here.  There are clocking/PLL circuits, specific loading, proper layouts, properly spec'd parts, and so on.  That's not even taking into account the necessity for any processor control for everything.  Someone who builds this would need a lot of test gear and the ability to troubleshoot mixed signal circuits or else they would have an expensive pile of parts that they can't fix in case of a non-functioning build.

Latest posts

Back