Cult DIY project: need your input

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i rather see a nice tube mic project.....but i mean fully instructions and fully working...
what you think?

What's wrong with the G7? ;)

The more I think about this I really like the idea of a marriage between digital control and analogue hardware.
To have a nice EQ that could have total recall with USB link to computer would be great!

Kingston said:
Doesn't everyone have like 4 differently modded GSSL's already? With all the current mods rolled into one unit (turbo, dual sidechain filters, PSU soup up, wet/dry, better opamps etc.) it's still just the age old generic SSL sound and it's not gonna get any better.

I think you should not see this as another GSSL, more as another take on the VCA compressor. You're right, even with all the mods you mention, it still sounds more or less like an ssl. However, if you remove the caps from the signal path, add transformers or DC servo, or even when you use DOA's instead of normal opamps you'll get a much cleaner VCA compressor if you ask me.
I think what Igor wants is to build the BEST VCA comp to date, but build it in a way so people can choose how far they go in their quest for perfection. That is, make room for both DOA's and normal opamps, DC servo, maybe even caps if you still want that old ssl sound  ;)

I'm really into the digital control over analog gear idea.

Digital recall (MIDI NRPNs/SYSEX over USB?) over an analog line mixer/summer with motor-faders!
Or digital control over EQ parameters with relays/motorpots!

I've done embedded programming for PIC18F devices (USB-MIDI/USB-HID devices), and can help in that area.

This may be too big of a project for what Igor is looking for, though.

Skylar said:
This may be too big of a project for what Igor is looking for, though.

Well, having build a mixer myself recently I think I can answer this one....

If you want to please everyone, a simple passive 16>2 summer is the way to go. As soon as you start to add functionality like sub groups, inserts...not to mention EQ's and Mic line pre's, everyone wants it differently. All those mixing needs are just too specific to be included in ONE piece of equipment. If you do include everything, the project will be hugely expensive and complicated....means a lot of unbuild PCB's on the shelf..

Skylar said:
I'm really into the digital control over analog gear idea.

I've done embedded programming for PIC18F devices (USB-MIDI/USB-HID devices), and can help in that area.

ardouino has the advantage of a max/msp interface. So you can built easy a plugin with pluggo, the plugin handles Analog I/O with you prefered interface, ardouino is cheap, has a usb interface, open source. I still think a ue100 would be incredible !!! and it has no inductors, I think it wont be so expensive. the tubes go for 5€ each, if we use the lundahl like in the fairman EQ it's a bit prizey but we could go edcor, but maybe thats a different project and not for Igor

nicholas

bradb said:
Guys,
After building and refurbing compressors for years with only a Digi 002 and Rosetta 800, I FINALLY bought a Speck X.SUM.  This unit is a 16 mono, 32 stereo LINE mixer (Level and pan) which is a step above a standard summing box and allows me to mix ITB / OTB in a hybrid fashion.  I do all my EQ'ing and routing etc in the box and then i patch outputs to my patchbay where I go to my DIY 1176, LA2As etc.  This allows me to actually USE my outboard gear fully during mixing.  I feel like this has totally opened my mixing world up and is probably the future of mixing, hybrid-style..

So a digitally controlled, SUPER high quality LINE mixer with auxs, sends, etc. would be quite nice in my view

+1

my vote also goes to:

transient designer.
IBP type phase tool.
modular channel strip (really any sort of generic form factor project with lots of options).
a good gate (am i missing one kicking around here?).
any high quality microphone. small diaphragm would be nice.

i also like matti's idea for taking the 1073 (or another project that suffers from hard to find/expensive parts and complicated wiring) and making it do-able.

Here's what would be cool IMHO:

A mixer interface for the S800 EQ project. Complete with mute, solo, pan, phase, aux, VU buffers, passive summing to Neve makeup. This would be a very cost effective, yet very high quality solution to building your own mixer - without completely reinventing the wheel. It would be pretty simple too, and I like that. Probably take signal from before the S800's 5532. I might actually build this myself in the not too distant future.

What I would *****REALLY**** like (but can't do myself) is a 24 track AES-EBU HD recorder that functions and feels like a tapedeck with the reliability of an airplane's "black box". Simple: play, stop, rew/fwd, record, punch, jog/shuttle, pre/post roll, track arm/play. Swappable (like tape) SATA drives (in RAID 1.) The capability to set standard short crossfades for punches. Destructive, but with multi level undo/redo. Bargraph LED for each channel. Nice beefy remote, time display, no virtual screens or menus - everything has a button. Low latency. Perhaps an ethernet port. Oh yeah, and cheap too (around $1000). Computer recording is a "war of the worlds" for me from a left/right brain perspective. Both Mac and PC annoy me equally. I really like the concept  of the Alesis HD24, but those dumb@sses forgot to include AES. I think the Tascam X48 is overpriced and too much like a PC. Same for Radar. Whatcha think Igor? :)

Best of luck with the new project, I'm sure it'll rock hard whatever it is!!

M.

Another vote for a doable 1073 and something like a el Fatso / Anamod (Saturation, Distortion, HF Limiting).

In terms of mixers I'm with radiance, there's just so many custom needs, I think it's impossible to generalise a project like that..

Cheers
Christoph

Mabye we can stop calling it a mixer. It is a device to connect our beloved analog gear in a digital envirement. What we can do in software we dont need. Levels, aux sends, mute and solo is all taken care of.
We only need recallable pan on 16 mono channels, and a some stereo inputs straith to the summing bus. two busses would be usefull, and the best DOA summing amp in the universe ;D
And Igors monitor controller on the end, of cause.

Joechris said:
Mabye we can stop calling it a mixer. It is a device to connect our beloved analog gear in a digital envirement. What we can do in software we dont need. Levels, aux sends, mute and solo is all taken care of.
We only need recallable pan on 16 mono channels, and a some stereo inputs straith to the summing bus. two busses would be usefull, and the best DOA summing amp in the universe ;D
And Igors monitor controller on the end, of cause.

I guess this is what others have mentioned about there being too many people wanting different things.  :)

I'd just like to point out that the above solution is out there, and without level control on your mixer / summer, you cannot easily use your hardware outboard gear during mixing.  You don't want to be mixing with the gain knob on your LA2A.

I really like the idea of a 16>2 summing box with a couple of buses, switchable option for transformers or not.  Maybe to keep things small the summing box stays in a rack and connects to breakout fader pack with panning and bus controls.

Good point Brad , but we have to live with post computer fader inserts if we want an afordable solution. You can record your LA2A to a track if you need large level adjustments.
This is of topic, sorry.

turning off notification for now bros... i'll pop in later to see where you guys are heading.

(i have a feeling there's going to be some round and round on these summing boxes for awhile)

partly my fault... sorry...

been re-reading Igor and if I understand, he wants to create a piece of gear thats gonna pop up in studios around the world.  That is probably not a summing box..  but more like a Distressor.  Something useful and novel...

Someone mentioned a vocal stressor a few posts back, that could be cool.
transient designers are analog?  and not a bunch of DSP?

How about something that is MIDI controlled?  so you can have a midi control track running while youre mixing, controlling some crazed parameters?

I like the 1073 idea, but how about some lexi stuff/a reverb?? I'd be willing to help on the software side, but I've never worked with audio, just some experience in a bunch of different languages.

the best part about that is once you've built it (if you have a programmer too), you can update the software to the newest version... cmon, how hard could vintage reverb algos be?

Latest posts

Back