D-EF47 Tribute To Oliver Archut U47 Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don't take offense, but what you're doing is too dangerous. You have no idea what you're doing and you're fiddling around with things that could easily kill you.

That's why no one likes to help you kill yourself, the danger is totally real.

Don't you know anyone you can at least do the power supply with? You could learn and then do it yourself later on. This is really too dangerous, your mains connection knows no mercy and even if you don't get a direct electric shock, you can put yourself and your family/friends in real danger later with a faulty power supply--> fire hazard!

Don't get me wrong, but the questions you're asking clearly show that you're beyond your capabilities and it's just too dangerous for that here. Seek help locally...
No offense taken at all. I wish there was help locally, but this is kind of a dying art so knowledgeable people are few and far between. I’m too involved at this point. I’ll get it figured out, one way or another.

I’ve made good headway on this project after a few snags. Can anyone explain why a higher value dummy load won’t draw as well as a smaller value? A 150k load won’t draw the current properly, but a smaller load, such as a 15k load will.

Hey everyone - I just finished my build and have found that it is quite a bit brighter, and harsher in the upper midrange than I was hoping. I've never heard a real U47 of course, but just personal preference for my voice I'm hoping to tame that area a bit and get a little bit "softer" of a sound.

I've been doing A/B tests with my Mojave MA-300 (same takes, capsules as close as possible) and finding that while the D-EF47 is significantly lower SNR (which I love), I actually prefer the timbre of the MA-300. With my D-EF47, I find myself immediately doing this kind of thing on my voice:

Screenshot 2024-07-27 at 11.18.35 AM.png

It's got an aliexpress body, AMI BV8R, no-name EF-80 from tube supply depot, and a Beesneez M7.

I've thought about a couple options:
- leave it as is, it is a solid microphone
- upgrade tube to a NOS telefunken EF800 from miktek
- swap the capsule for an Arienne Audio Flat K47

I know this is all super subjective - but wondering if ya'll have any thoughts about where to go next? Don't really want to put a bunch more money into chasing something it'll never be.

IMG_8834.jpeg
IMG_8796.jpeg

Hey everyone - I just finished my build and have found that it is quite a bit brighter, and harsher in the upper midrange than I was hoping. I've never heard a real U47 of course, but just personal preference for my voice I'm hoping to tame that area a bit and get a little bit "softer" of a sound.

I've been doing A/B tests with my Mojave MA-300 (same takes, capsules as close as possible) and finding that while the D-EF47 is significantly lower SNR (which I love), I actually prefer the timbre of the MA-300. With my D-EF47, I find myself immediately doing this kind of thing on my voice:

View attachment 133421

It's got an aliexpress body, AMI BV8R, no-name EF-80 from tube supply depot, and a Beesneez M7.

I know this is all super subjective - but wondering if ya'll have any thoughts about where to go next? Don't really want to put a bunch more money into chasing something it'll never be.

View attachment 133422
View attachment 133423
I have my build with an ef14 and a beesneez k7 and it’s not too bright. I’d say try Ari flat 47 and see if that changes it without that lift in the upper frequencies. I have a pair of her flat 47’s in fet 47 mics and they sound really smooth.

View attachment 133421

View attachment 133422
View attachment 133423
Hi, I found the same problem with the mid range and changed to EF800 and edge terminated capsules and much less mid honk!!

I would change the tube first then see what you think.

View attachment 133421

View attachment 133422
View attachment 133423
The u47 is a forward mic in the upper mids. It is not suitable for every voice.
Now….a tele ef 800 might give you a smoother sound in the upper mids…I have found that some ef80/ef800 brands tend to emphasise the upper mids more around 4/5k. Another thing is to try a 10:1 transformer ( bv11 style). I believe it works much better with ef800/ ef80 tubes. Also both filter and output caps affect the sound ( c2,c3). Maybe experiment there also…the caps that you have there are good but the mids and highs might feel a little “dry” and hard compared to a nice mp cap.

Thanks for the ideas ya'll! Totally understand that the U47 isn't exactly a universal mic choice. Still fun to tweak :)

Just swapped in the Flat K47, much happier with where it's at. I'm going to try the EF800 too - $10 EF80 from tube supply depot might just be the weak link.

That said, I honestly am wondering if something is up with this beesneez capsule - it sounds almost lo-fi compared to the flat k47 and compared to my Mojave MA300. Think "telephone" / laptop mic.

Biggest takeaway from this project so far - the Mojave is a very good mic haha. A little noisy, but very good.

Thanks for the ideas ya'll! Totally understand that the U47 isn't exactly a universal mic choice. Still fun to tweak :)

Just swapped in the Flat K47, much happier with where it's at. I'm going to try the EF800 too - $10 EF80 from tube supply depot might just be the weak link.

That said, I honestly am wondering if something is up with this beesneez capsule - it sounds almost lo-fi compared to the flat k47 and compared to my Mojave MA300. Think "telephone" / laptop mic.

Biggest takeaway from this project so far - the Mojave is a very good mic haha. A little noisy, but very good.
Can you measure the capsule with an LCR meter? Each diaphragm to backplate. You could contact Ben if you think there is a problem with the capsule. An M7 will sound different than a K47. It might not be for everyone, but I prefer the M7 sound.

I have a Beesneez M7 in an M49 build and it's the best vocal mic I've ever heard. Almost as versatile as my U67 build. I have an Ari Flat 47 in a EF-U47 and it sounds great. Just doesn't sound nearly as good as the M49 for vocals. The only times the EF-U47 wins out (on vocals) is with soft almost spoken vocals or pop sounding vocals.

Back