D&R Triton console hot to the touch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds like dirty jacks or switch contacts (oxidized, and higher voltage punches through thin oxide layer). I've seen this most often in inset jack switch contacts.

JR
This. I've had this on an insert point - A&H GL2 fwiw. I recall my guitarist and myself looking puzzled when a 'soft' initial note didn't make it onto disk but the rest of the tracking seemed fine. Seemed oddly reproducible - blast it with level and it would work for a short while eg single digit seconds.
Can shove in a TRS jack and link Send/Return but I went at it with Caig DeOxit and a cotton bud.

Last edited:
Sorry I don't speak English, I hope you understand me
Checking the PSU tension comes first. DR torroidal transformers do not perform well with a small increase in input voltage. The transformer of my DR Triton begins to vibrate when the voltage exceeds a few volts of 220, eliminate the problem by putting an alternating voltage regulator. Regarding the failure in the L or R output, the first thing I would do would be to clean the connectors and inserts (if the failure occurs in both the monitor output and the balanced one, it may be the inserts).
f you want to improve the quality of the preamps, replace the SM2017 with the THAT 1512 (you will get a more defined, dynamic sound with a better frequency response)
If you want a little more character there is a jensen doc on adding a transformer to the preamp.
If you want to improve the balanced output, I replaced mine with OPAs with very good results (I don't remember the model right now).

Quick update: Firstly, thanks again to everybody for responding. I am literally in Pro Audio Tech Limbo.
Yesterday, blew out dust on channel strips and PSU. Unplugged all XLR mic inputs. Powered up desk. After an hour, I started tracking some guitars. Finished that in an hour and the surface was nowhere nearly as hot. The main areas of heat were in the master section, close to the VU's and left side of channels. I also un-muted all channels.
Just now, swapped out PSU. Will let it sit for a bit, do some playback.
Film, with sports and weather, @11

Quick question....the spare PSU (GRS Systems GMPS-18) seems quite robust and performed admirably during the short time I had it powered up yesterday, but I'm very leery about the supplied cable between it and the desk. Anybody know who either makes a stock 5 pin XLR designed for this use or an entity that could fabricate one. Would hate to get so close and the weak link be a substandard cable.

Waiting on parts for new umbilical. And while I've got your attention, while going through the big box of spare parts, I'm coming across channel strips with different number, ie; 1b, 1d, etc. Are these compatible? Seems most of the channels are 1b.

Waiting on parts for new umbilical. And while I've got your attention, while going through the big box of spare parts, I'm coming across channel strips with different number, ie; 1b, 1d, etc. Are these compatible? Seems most of the channels are 1b.
The company is still active. You may contact them directly.
https://www.dnrbroadcast.com/

The company is still active. You may contact them directly.
https://www.dnrbroadcast.com/
I reached out to D&R. They said this knowledge of my console had been lost over the ages! They did refer me to DSA-AVL in the Netherlands who may have answered my questions, but left it for me to decide!
I did connect the spare power supply and all heat issues are gone now. Tried swapping the master section modules, but I really need a tech to dive inside the desk as the replacement modules are different from the installed ones. Someone over the years modified the master section and removed many leads. My local tech is closing shop, so time to take the console on a road trip.
Thanks to everyone for helping out.

Latest posts

Back