Dead V676

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timtom

I got a non working v676, I recapped the elkos and tantalums except c107.
I started tracking the power lines, R713 was burnt, I replaced it but at ST701/1 I only got ~3V left. It should be ~24V, right?

I suspect the transistors to be broken. Is there a way to measure them? Can they also be broken if the measure correctly with a Multimeter Diode Test?

Attachments

• TELEFUNKEN V676.pdf
    170.7 KB · Views: 1
but at ST701/1 I only got ~3V left. It should be ~24V, right?
Yes, I would expect almost 23V there, 3 volts is definitely too low, something is pulling your supply voltage down. See attchment for voltages.
I suspect the transistors to be broken.
This can, but does not have to be the fault.
Is there a way to measure them?
Yes, you can also check the transistor in the circuit itself, for example, by temporary deactivating and bridging the entire darlington series regulator and seeing if your operating voltage is still too low.

If so, your fault is not in the series regulator (transistor further upstream?), if not, then these components are suspect.
Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 18-02-32 73560-9262acb90023e32bb54e84f89f7b171f.data.png

How high is the voltage at point ST701/9?

Can they also be broken if the measure correctly with a Multimeter Diode Test?
In my experience, transistors that are measure correctly are not broken...

Attachments

• telefunken_v676a_servicemanual.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
How high is the voltage at point ST701/9?
It's 24V.
Yes, you can also check the transistor in the circuit itself, for example, by temporary deactivating and bridging the entire darlington series regulator and seeing if your operating voltage is still too low.
I'll do that.
I also checked the card it outside the v676 and with 24V at ST701/9 there is still 3v at the ST701/1.

Pull the daughter cards & see if you get a better voltage at ST701/1. If you don't you have a blown BSY90. You really need to verify this first.

You can test most of the other cards out of circuit with a bench PSU, sig gen & scope.

I was repairing a V676 recently which was blowing the BSY90 when the gain switch was in it's lowest position (line mode). It was one tantalum that was short.

Pull the daughter cards & see if you get a better voltage at ST701/1. If you don't you have a blown BSY90. You really need to verify this first.

You can test most of the other cards out of circuit with a bench PSU, sig gen & scope.

I was repairing a V676 recently which was blowing the BSY90 when the gain switch was in it's lowest position (line mode). It was one tantalum that was short.
I pulled the other cards and the voltage was still low.
Did you replace the BSY90 with another transistor? It's hard to find a BSY90. Another posts mentions the BC517 as replacement.

Yes I used something else. I got through a few transistors before I got it working again so just used what I had in my parts collection. I can't remember exactly but one sub was a bc441 as I had some lying about. It's just used as a pass transistor for regulating the voltage so any npn with the same sort of current rating should work.

Sorry, no BSY90 in stock, only BSW65, BSX45 and a lot of Germanium transistors for fuzz pedals🤠

Sunday is the right day to sort through old inherited stock...

In theory, how bad is it to bridge this darlington and use the amplifier?
I don't know, the old guys must have designed it with a target in mind. It probably ensures consistent results under varying conditions, perhaps also a slightly better signal-to-noise ratio? Try it out.

I replaced the darlington with a bc517.
If I measure now without ground I got 23,1V when I connect the ground the voltage slowly rises until ~13V.

The test circuit outside the card works fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0778.jpeg
    IMG_0778.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0777.jpeg
    IMG_0777.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0781.jpeg
    IMG_0781.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I just had no replacement for the bsy90 here. Now everything is working with the bc517 and I get 23v at ST701/1.
I confused R713 with 4,7k instead of 4,7 ohm.

Edit:
The Fault was broken T704 (BC107b) and a burned R173.

BSY90 actually works back in t he circuit with a new BC107b and a correct Resistor.

Last edited:
Voltages are fine now and the amplifier works but heavily distorts. When tracking the signal path it stays clean until St701/7 and after that is distorted.
It is the same board that had the broken parts.

Measering the voltages from the v676a service manual the are all fine except the ones at St701/7 is way to low.

Latest posts

Back