DIY DUAL GERMANIUM MIC PRE-EQ BASED ON NEVE EARLY DESIGNS

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Baxandall type EQ is the one Neve uses for Bass and Treble. As I wouldn´t do a main board but interconecting the daughterboards as in the originals, you can use whichever transformer you like, input, output, line or mic, in terms of layout or pin configuration.

This is a list of the needed TONE capacitors. I strongly suggest Mullard mustard or equivalent:

- B100: 1000, 2200, 4700 pF, one each.
- B101: 1000pF x1
- B105: 1000 pF x1
- B104: 1000,2200,5000( 4700 ), one each
- MID EQ ( If frecuency selectable): 4n7, 5n0, 10n0, 22n0, 33n0, 47n0, one each.
- FIXED BASS & TREBLE: 100n0 x 5.
- FIXED TREBLE SWITCHED BASS: 47n0 x5, 100n0,220n0, 330n0, 2 each

OK, since no one answered my questions, let's see if I can answer them myself :grin:

-So, Wonderland, you are offering to make the PCBs for the amp card, and possibly the EQ cards? Yes?

-Group buys for other parts and metal work are still in the discussion and 'maybe' phase? Yes?

-Gardner inputs - why do we need them? Because they were the originals? And you want to sell yours? Or is there any other reason? Why can't I put a 10468 in, instead? :grin:

The inductor needed for the 1057 is a T1148 = VTB9042
100mH / 200mH / 300mH / 600mH / 1H

Will up-load the schematics upcoming week!

OK, since no one answered my questions, let's see if I can answer them myself :grin:

-So, Wonderland, you are offering to make the PCBs for the amp card, and possibly the EQ cards? Yes?

-Group buys for other parts and metal work are still in the discussion and 'maybe' phase? Yes?

-Gardner inputs - why do we need them? Because they were the originals? Yes And you want to sell yours? Not anymore Or is there any other reason? Why can't I put a 10468 in, instead? You can put whatever you want. You can even, as someone who I really trust tell me once, change all PNP for NPN, reverse the electrolytics and make it all silicon. You can substitute the B100 and B104 for a B283 and make a 1272...

Honestly I´ve been quite busy this last week, basically sick in bed and finishing some studer project that was delaaaaayyyying like spanish flights....

Things are, at this moment, ready for beginning to work, ONCE WE ( a.k.a. the involved on the project ) decide to actually get actively involved, both to participate in the few decissions that must be taken and to COLLABORATE in resourcing what it´s still needed.

I would be glad if those of you that would like to get actively involved send me or T.K. a pm saying so: " I´m into it. How can I help? "

Me and TeeKay ( basically TeeKay ) were working on redrawing the schematics.
I´ve been working on a real life test, racking one of the 1253´s, just to try different transformers at the input and different configurations of the sensitivity switch.

Pm sent from me as well.
Just let me know what i can do to help!

Are we going for the new germaniums or should we try to hunt down some old ones??
If some of you guys have made a small list of what transistors are needed i could start to look around.
If not, i will try to make my own list!

Teekay, will give you a call tomorrow!

Regards,
Dennis

I posted more or less everything needed:
As an advance:

Electromechanical parts needed:

- 4 pole 10 pos rotary switch. Sensitivity switch.
- 50K or 47K Lin pot and 10K Lin pot for the Baxandall.
- 50K or 47K for the mid eq.
- 2 pole 6 pos for bass switchable frecs.
- 2 pole 6 pos for mid sitchable frecs.
- 2 pole 6 pos for treble switchable frecs.

Transformers:

- Gardners MU7529, 7525 or 7524 mic in.
- Marinair LO1166, LI1166 or LI1167 output.
- Your choice for line in ( in case you need it ).
- Inductors:
Cards:

- B100. Input Amp
- B104. Output Amp
- B101 or B105 ( for the Baxandall EQ )
- B101 or B105 ( for the Mid EQ ).

Transistors needed:
- B100: Acc to schematic: AC107, NKT216 or AC107. In my cards: OC44, NKT 216.
- B104: BC109c, NKT216.
- B105: BC107a, BC109c.
- B101: NKT216 x2, ACY21.
- Outside cards: OC36, NKT216, BC107c ( The last 2 only if eq is added ).

TONE CAPS:

- B100: 1000, 2200, 4700 pF, one each.
- B101: 1000pF x1
- B105: 1000 pF x1
- B104: 1000,2200,5000( 4700 ), one each
- MID EQ ( If frecuency selectable): 4n7, 5n0, 10n0, 22n0, 33n0, 47n0, one each.
- FIXED BASS & TREBLE: 100n0 x 5.
- FIXED TREBLE SWITCHED BASS: 47n0 x5, 100n0,220n0, 330n0, 2 each

Sweet. Thanks for the part's list, Wonderland! Let me try to fill everyone in on what I understand is going on here at this point after quick PM's from Wonderland and Teekay. Hopefully a summary will help those interested yet very confused (like I was :grin:) to get on board.

Tekay is working on redrawing the schematic right now and hopes to have it up shortly.

Tekay also mentioned to me that he is thinking of drawing up a PCB layout for himself, and he would like to include some modifications for switches and the sort. I personally will not have the time to do a PCB layout as I have a big project coming up and am leaving town in the few days, and I just can't be counted on to do it. There was some mention of doing a copy of the original layout. I would personally be fine with doing a modified version of it, as long as the basic circuit and components were the same with basic modifications for some features. IF Tekay wants to offer that up to us, knowing his work I would be very happy to accept. Any opinions on that? Of course there would be a group buy for these.

I've personally got a spare pair of LO1166's so I may or may not need more, we'll see. However, there seems to be another order brewing right now on the Black Market so if you want original output transformers for this, check out this link:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=18180

Original Gardner input transformers are still available from Wonderland if I am not mistaken. Otherwise, one can surely use a comparable transformer from Sowter or Cinemag or the sort if you wish.

I personally need mounting sockets for the Gardner transformers.

As far as transistors, that's a little hard for me to call at this point. I know that the transistors are very important to the sound, but how the newer ones from Digitron quoted by Wonderland will compare to the originals I have no idea whatsoever. Perhaps others with more experience in this realm can comment?

There was also a question by rascalseven about the quality control specs of those said transistors and their consistency. Last we heard this was being investigated by Wonderland. If we can find a batch of original transistors, that would be great, but I for one have no idea where to find them. I would be nonetheless content with using the new Digitron germaniums if they spec well.

The inductor needed is a VTB9042 from Carnhill - 100mH / 200mH / 300mH / 600mH / 1H . All those interested, we should organize a group order for them. I suspect that once a PCB layout is decided upon and finished, that we can start an order for this and other things.

Capacitors are mainly electrolytics which can be ordered individually and mustard mullards which I know nothing about. Perhaps a group buy is necessary, I don't know.

Switches and pots have been spec'd, but I'm not sure where to go to for the switches. Can anyone locate them? The pots should be fairly easy to find.

Wonderland talked about already having a front panel layout and possibly printing out racks if the interest is there. Some may or may not be interested in that depending on where you live. I'm also sure Purusha would jump all over printing some up if we could put an order for ten or more together. His prices are always very fair and usually the best I've found. Seeing a layout then would help people decide on that one, however, that's not so critical as many people will come up with their own layouts.

If a source for original knobs is found then great, otherwise I'm sure people have their own ideas for what they could use.

I would be willing to act as a point-man for group buys for inductors, transistors, switches, and other critical parts if a significant discount is offered for a bulk buy. Basically, IF others help me source the parts and finding out prices, I would be willing to deal with keeping track of the money, putting in the orders, and with shipping out the parts, perhaps as a kit of sorts if it works out that way and doesn’t get too huge, which at this point it doesn’t seem it will be. I think that will be the best way for me to help with this project. I will be in the States for the next six months or so, so please keep that in mind if we want a separate Euro point man. I'm doubting there will be the interest for that however. Also, I am about to start a long and tasking project, so your patience and understanding with any delays will be necessary, but I would like to help out however I can.

Needed parts are listed above this post. The next step there will be for someone to come up with a complete BOM once we have a schematic and PCB layout.

So the big Q now is who is really interested and what do you want for an EQ? Do we need the PCB to be an exact clone and if Teekay does decide to offer up a PCB of his liking that is not an exact clone as far as layout is concerned, are you still interested? I would like the EQ to be as extensive as possible in the realm of a 1053 or the like within reason, but would settle on whatever was able to be specified and sourced. That is not a deal breaker for me and an exact clone is also not necessary in my opinion. Anyone else have an opinion?

Hope this summary keeps everyone interested up to date and ends any confusion about what is going on with this.

Cheers,

T

Hi,
I would also like to make a FULL eq section. Is another inductor needed for that?
I don't care if the layout is original, as a matter of fact I'd probably like it more if it was made more compact.

And let's not get all silly and order expensive dual concentric switches or anything. I just want a functional pre/eq channel and couldn't care less how close it looks to an original.

My 2 kronur.
hejsan

About the pcb design my idear was to make a mother board then a separate switch / pot pcb for cheap = lorlin / less cheap = ELMA 01 and for the gain switching I was thinking of a relayswitched solution.

Any thoughts?

[quote author="Tekay"]About the pcb design my idear was to make a mother board then a separate switch / pot pcb for cheap = lorlin / less cheap = ELMA 01 and for the gain switching I was thinking of a relayswitched solution..[/quote]
So will it be up to the builder weather to implement the full EQ or just part of it or not at all?

And am I right in thinking that a full EQ consists of:
Low Cut
Hi Shelf
Lo Shelf
Mid Boost/Cut

Please confirm.
hejsan

I had this in mind when I said fully featured:

d2_3.jpg

That's a 1053. That would be a pretty great project. As much in that direction of features as we could take it, the happier I would be. Ultimately however, that is up to the abilities and time available to the person doing the PCB layout.

T

Wonderland,

For those of use who bought Gardners inputs from you a few weeks back, have you sent those out yet? I was expecting them, but nothing yet.

Mine were a pair of 7529's.

Thanks,

Joel

Back