Do We Need a Transformer Discussion Forum?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

Well, do we? CJ could moderate. It'd be totally unique - I'm not aware of any audio discussion site that has a dedicated forum for transformers.

Other wound components such as inductors could potentially be discussed as well.

Are you up for it, CJ?

J

I think creating a separate section dedicated to just 1 component is slicing the onion a little too thin, no?
Next up would be separate sections for resistors, capacitors...electrolytic or film? ;)

Ethan said:
I think creating a separate section dedicated to just 1 component is slicing the onion a little too thin, no?
Next up would be separate sections for resistors, capacitors...electrolytic or film? ;)

You are probably right. I always have this dilemma when creating files systems. Do I order by topic or project? Right now we have some sort of combination where we have projects like filters, dynamics, preamps  and mixers but topics like truth table and machine shop but also very general ones like drawing board and the lab that reflect the fact we are a DIY group.

So our onion is sliced all sorts of odd ways right now but I am not sure it is as yet too thin. The thing about transformer is that they are not quite commodity items like most other components. They are somewhat custom devices, much like the stuff we talk about in machine shop so on that basis their might be an argument for its own section.

OTOH I would just like an easy to find repository of all our transformer musing so a meta would suit me.

Cheers

Ian

we could have 2 transformer metas'

one with links for vendors and books

one with articles on theory,

it looks too busy with one meta for everything,

that way we could add stuff all the time to the theory meta,

CJ said:
we could have 2 transformer metas'

one with links for vendors and books

one with articles on theory,

it looks too busy with one meta for everything,

that way we could add stuff all the time to the theory meta,
Good!
Then there are links to threads and posts. A third meta?

I have to be honest and say I was being a little tongue-in-cheek when I started this thread... A post I read inspired me to do it. Having said that, if you think about it, in some ways it does make sense. I consider transformers a whole sub-division within audio. If there were such a forum, due to its uniqueness, I suspect it would drag in a surprising amount of traffic...

I'll keep the loom techniques forum suggestion to myself for the moment, then : -) A capacitor forum would be the nerdiest group ever...

J

I have been broadly against the fragmentation of 'the lab', as we used to be known, but I actually think this is a good idea. Transformers are a bit unique (apologies to the pedants out there. I realise there are no degrees of uniquity!). There is some science, some maths, and some dark arts too. Plus the mechanical side of windings etc.

I think it would be popular.

we have looked at  the most popular vintage  types of inputs, inner-stage and outputs,

Jensen Sowter and Lundahl are still going, so we have to leave them alone,

dissections are winding down, winding is winding up,

so a new forum for transformers would lack new material,

the Lab is fine for now, so i think the Lab is  still the best place for dissections,

Back