Donald trump. what is your take on him?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveP said:
And so can the Muslims of the other 57 Muslim countries in the world.
It might suit to make it an anti- Muslim/racist issue, but it's a failed state terror issue.

It's great you want to blame Iran and Somalia for having to take your shoes off at the airport, but how about the US and EU finally start targeting and containing the countries where all these crazies actually come from? Would seem like a minimum requirement if they had any intention of actually dealing with the problem, no?

( Again, 9/11 was carried out by 15 Saudi's, 2 Emirati's, 1 Lebanese, 1 Egyptian)

And Dave, you're an immigrant living  in a foreign country. Some of the statements you make don't reflect this reality.

dmp said:
Seems like critics of the status quo (obama's last 8 yrs) either strongly criticize him for being too militaristic or too weak-- opposite positions.
Status quo?

In fact it is possible to be both.

The surge-lite in Afghanistan was understaffed wrt military leadership's manpower request, and a questionable strategy due to different culture in Afghanistan vs. Iraq where the surge was successful, at least until the US withdrew.  Afghanistan was cleared of al qaeda pretty quickly. The taliban have a long history in the region and are far more entrenched. (Interesting that Russia is dabbling in political relations with the Taliban. Russia has much history in the region.)

Support of regime change in Libya, created another lawless region for bad actors to infest. (Admittedly this was led by EU, but US provided a lot of the munitions).

The massive expansion of the drone program has been relatively successful, depending how you measure it, but far from symmetrical or respectful of foreign countries sovereignty.  It seems a matter of time before bad guys start using drones.

In the crystal clear hindsight, more troops for longer in Iraq, less troop expansion in Afghanistan and less support for Libya regime change (while I shared these opinions years ago). More or less activity in Syria, the feckless red line and weak support of Assad's opposition is a debacle that displaced lots of migrants escaping for their lives and is still unlikely to actually depose Assad (more a threat to Lebanon and neighbors in the region, than to us while still a bad guy.)
In fact, I've argued he's taken a middle approach that over time would have been effective and was the best informed choice he could take. The minimum level required would be to prevent a attack on the US - as the consequences would be  huge -not just to victims in the US, but  because the level of response would spill a whole lot of blood and create turmoil. The higher level would require support from Congress, which he had to work without for his entire tenure, and may just create a non-ending cycle of violence. Only providing opportunity for other things, besides terror, can we really change the dynamic.
Already we are seeing the incompetence of Trump by providing PR for terrorist groups. With this ban, they are telling anybody who would cooperate with us in mid east countries that we will abandon them later.  After only 1 week, it will only be much easier for terrorists to demonize the US.
The terrorists already hate us and always will... Radical Islam kills more muslims than westerners so it is questionable about who hates whom. Some of the radicals will only stop trying to kill us when they stop breathing. The drone program only targets top leadership like whack-a-mole... kill one and another leader pops up.

I appreciate all this recent attention to the middle east but the knee-jerk media response is not very thoughtful (IMO more anti-Trump posturing).  I look forward to seeing the actual new policy toward this region. Trump doesn't even have his cabinet in place yet.

JR

A little girl was shot the other day.

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/30/obama-killed-a-16-year-old-american-in-yemen-trump-just-killed-his-8-year-old-sister/

It's great you want to blame Iran and Somalia for having to take your shoes off at the airport, but how about the US and EU finally start targeting and containing the countries where all these crazies actually come from? Would seem like a minimum requirement if they had any intention of actually dealing with the problem, no?
That's wrong, I never said that, I blame our home grown radicalized Muslims for my inconvenience.

And Yes, I totally agree and I would want to include Russia in that consortium.

With all the special forces we now have, we could have finished Al Shabab in Somalia for example. but that is African territory and they are sensitive about the West policing their problems, Kenya would take it as an insult I expect.

French special forces have done a good job in Mali but I believe they were asked to help by their former colony.

DaveP

JohnRoberts said:
If you are kidding add a smiley face emoticon. If you are not kidding STOP the personal attacks.

JR

In all fairness Matt did say "maybe", as did Dave's remark he was actually responding to:
maybe you live in a left wing bubble?

And Matt's second sentence shows what he was trying to say, or STOP for that matter:
Did we move the conversation forward now?

But I'm all for keeping things polite.  :)
And that goes both ways, of course.

micaddict said:
In all fairness Matt did say "maybe", as did Dave's remark he was actually responding to:
And Matt's second sentence shows what he was trying to say, or STOP for that matter:
But I'm all for keeping things polite.  :)
And that goes both ways, of course.
I have ignored some bait thrown my way using such modifying qualifications....

I hope you don't expect me to read every post in this thread to parse out context.

If it walks like a duck, or quacks like duck, it's probably a duck (or will be perceived as a duck).

Lets take it down a notch PLEASE. I will repeat something a huge bouncer once told me.."it's nice to be nice" (he was really huge).

It's rare how we can have (mostly) sensible and (mostly) civil exchanges, unlike most of social media. I'm just trying to keep us all inside the lines and away from the ditches.

Carry on..

JR

And Dave, you're an immigrant living  in a foreign country. Some of the statements you make don't reflect this reality.
I'm well aware of that actually and my wife and I are spending £30 a week on French lessons, we don't complain if paperwork does not come in English, we translate it laboriously.

I came to France and bought a house for our retirement under existing EU rules in 2010, now Brexit has thrown a spanner in the works and cut my pension by 15% as well, but we must roll with the punches.

The mayor of our commune welcomed us and said we are the future.  The countryside is denuded of people with lots of empty houses in need of renovation, so us paying Impot and taxe d'habitation (council tax), brings the area back to life.  This is entirely different from the UK where all the houses are very expensive and occupied and everyone is crammed together like sardines, the UK should be declared full up in my opinion.

DaveP

Matt can speak for himself, but I think he took exception to my suggestion that he should not debate like a state prosecutor and try to cross examine me.  It was not the left wing bubble, I don't believe.

I did not take exception to "neo-con chickenhawk armchair general" because I don't know what it means.

DaveP

micaddict said:
No, but the quote Matt replied to was right above the one you lifted out.
Damn I'll never get that 10 minutes back....

I read Dave's posts and it seem to follow an escalating pattern of tension between him and Mattias.  Since I deal with similar bait here I do not consider Dave the primary instigator, while he could be "kinder" too.

Dave and everybody, lets be a little kinder to each other (please).

I do not like to air this dirty laundry in public, and since this is subjective, I speak only for myself (not the forum). If it was official we might start erasing the inflammatory language, locking this thread, and/or gonging members. It hasn't reached that level yet, but maybe a stitch in time will save nine.

It seems like there is a lot of interest in this topic, and mostly good behavior from members so i will try to butt out once again and get back to building drum tuners today.  I do not enjoy wading into the scrum but it appeared to be escalating.

lets play nice.

JR

@ Mattias and Dave I apologize to you both if it appears you are being singled out. We can exchange ideas without lowering the level of intercourse to personally criticizing each other, no matter how deftly we couch that criticism with metaphor.

Yeah, glad everybody can shake hands and call a truce here. Maybe we'll set a record - this threads been going for 2 yrs, 4 months! (it's been close I know... nearly went down in flames a few times)

SCOTUS nomination tonight at 8pm, so get ready to post like crazy
It's going to be reality show style, two walk in, only one walks out

JohnRoberts said:
If you are kidding add a smiley face emoticon. If you are not kidding STOP the personal attacks.

JR

If you actually read (and quoted) the entire response which included "Did we move the conversation forward now?" the sarcasm should have been obvious.

DaveP said:
We did not find out until much later that the US caused the Cuban missile crisis because they had installed missiles on Turkey's border with Russia.  The agreement with Khrushchev that they would quietly be taken away in 3 months was to be kept secret.  That is an example of a very stupid and dangerous action that the US did.  Russian containment again.  I think that any scolding of the US by its allies goes on behind closed doors to preserve the illusion of unity.

I understand, and I get that you're critical of the US, but the question is at what point you think that deserves any action whatsoever.

Again, the argument you made was that supporting terrorists makes a nation "bad", and the above isn't that, it is something arguably less 'bad'. But in talking about the above you ignore the world court's ruling on US' actions towards Nicaragua, complete with the verdict for the US to pay reparations, exactly because it supported terrorism. So, again, why on earth aren't we labeling the US as being just as bad? The answer is simply that "they" are bad when they do it, and "we" aren't when we do.

So therefore something else must constitute the difference, right? It's not what is done, it is who does it. So how is that "group" defined? What are the characteristics that we then use to discriminate between people? That's what I'm getting at.

Look, here's an obvious one:

DaveP said:
Just for the record so you don't think I'm being too slippery:  I hate religious fundamentalism, be it Christian, Jewish, Hindu or Muslim.  Every non secular government that I have observed has done bad things to its people in the name of religion.  That is another reason why I don't like the Iranian government, I think most Iranians are obviously fine, (most people are) but I think their government is oppressive.  Hammas is another example so is North Korea where the religion is the leader.  Saudi Arabia is not much better in the way it treats women, they are still in the middle ages.

Yes, religion as a factor to discriminate between people. Now, it may or may not surprise you but I actually don't think religious views are something one should be immune from being judged by. It's no different than political ideology in that it's simply something that exists in a person's head, not something objective and proven, like gravity or global warming.

However, the problem I have with this is as I said first of all that the executive order in the US appears to be violating the US constitution, and as such poses a huge problem if it is left to stand. It is the first slip on a very slippery slope. The other problem I have with what you bring up though is exactly how you characterize Iran versus Saudi Arabia for example. They aren't even close as far as I can see. While they both certainly have pragmatic leaders without a death wish, there are far more and far stronger movements in Iran for a more moderate society, and women are faaar better off there. In addition to this they didn't export hijackers the flew airplanes into buildings in my home town. Know what I mean?

So I reiterate that this executive order is very problematic exactly because of the nations included and because of the clear anti-Muslim undertone. You can couple all of this with calls from people in power to check social media, cell phone contact lists etc on entry to the US to check your background. Now, one can at best justify that using national security as an argument, but not without also accepting that the US is now a nation that looks inside people's heads to ascertain if they're guilty of thought crimes or not. As far as I can see this isn't the "freedom" Americans proudly proclaim is what they're defending.

DaveP said:
Regarding immigration:  I am not opposed to it in principle, but I question the degree to which it has been allowed.  A gradual assimilation over time is fine, but wholesale transformation of towns and cities is quite another.  The problem is compounded when immigrants don't stop at the 1- 3 children that we have, so that the population grows even more.  This is all the fault of disconnected government whose politicians don't mix or live in the circles where the immigration impacts.  This is what causes things like Brexit and Trump.

Immigrant populations that have a higher birth rate, as far as I recall from looking at actual statistics on that specific matter (I did actually), has the birth rate drop in successive generations. In other words everything from birth control education to increased freedom for women (yes, to have abortions even) to a different sense of security financially lead to 2nd generation immigrants and their children having lower birth rates. So it's really just a problem of primarily that first generation.

As for that causing Brexit and Trump; I don't fully agree with that. I think xenophobia, racism and a need for a scapegoat to deal with the lack of progression in society are a bigger reason than cultural changes. It's easier to deal with changes when everyone in the middle class on down is doing well financially. When things aren't progressing it has to be someone's fault. If it's our politicians' fault and we voted them in then it's really our fault. Feels much better to blame those who came here who are different.

Food for thought:

The American Psychiatry Association has a nine-point checklist for narcissism - if someone displays just five of the traits, they have Narcissistic Personality Disorder:

Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognised as superior without commensurate achievements).

Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.

Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).

Requires excessive admiration.

Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favourable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations.

Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends.

Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognise or identify with the feelings and needs of others.

Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her.

Shows arrogant, haughty behaviours or attitudes.

http://www.psi.uba.ar/academica/carrerasdegrado/psicologia/sitios_catedras/practicas_profesionales/820_clinica_tr_personalidad_psicosis/material/dsm.pdf

But in talking about the above you ignore the world court's ruling on US' actions towards Nicaragua, complete with the verdict for the US to pay reparations, exactly because it supported terrorism. So, again, why on earth aren't we labeling the US as being just as bad?
I will take your word for all of this, I did not follow American politics when this was going on, so I have nothing to offer.
The other problem I have with what you bring up though is exactly how you characterize Iran versus Saudi Arabia for example. They aren't even close as far as I can see. While they both certainly have pragmatic leaders without a death wish, there are far more and far stronger movements in Iran for a more moderate society, and women are faaar better off there. In addition to this they didn't export hijackers the flew airplanes into buildings in my home town. Know what I mean?
I agree with most of this in that Wahhabism originated in Saudi and not Iran.  I actually have an Iranian friend who came to Paris in 1968, but as I said before, I don't have a problem with the people, only the leadership supplying arms to Hezbollah.
Immigrant populations that have a higher birth rate, as far as I recall from looking at actual statistics on that specific matter (I did actually), has the birth rate drop in successive generations. In other words everything from birth control education to increased freedom for women (yes, to have abortions even) to a different sense of security financially lead to 2nd generation immigrants and their children having lower birth rates. So it's really just a problem of primarily that first generation.
I really hope this is true.
As for that causing Brexit and Trump; I don't fully agree with that. I think xenophobia, racism and a need for a scapegoat to deal with the lack of progression in society are a bigger reason than cultural changes. It's easier to deal with changes when everyone in the middle class on down is doing well financially. When things aren't progressing it has to be someone's fault. If it's our politicians' fault and we voted them in then it's really our fault. Feels much better to blame those who came here who are different.
I can't agree with this because I have seen what has happened in the UK over a long period of time.  It's probably not something you noticed much in Sweden because the population is small compared to the land area.  Believe me, the UK is bursting at the seams, the price of houses is out of this world, overstretched NHS, lack of school places and ridiculous traffic.  No government has dealt with immigration because of fear of looking like Trump and EU freedom of movement.  Discussion about immigration was suppressed under Tony Blair's government with accusations of racism, but that myth lost credibility over time.  The deep groundswell of resentment finally burst in the referendum and it has thrown a spanner in the works for my retirement in France and cost me 15% of my pension to boot.  Where I used to live is now more like a suburb of Bangladesh, my country is unrecognizable from how it used to be, I wonder if you know how distressing that is to experience.  You might call it culture shock.

DaveP

The American Psychiatry Association has a nine-point checklist for narcissism - if someone displays just five of the traits, they have Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
I'm seeing Hillary here :D

DaveP

mattiasNYC said:
Food for thought:

The American Psychiatry Association has a nine-point checklist for narcissism -

And yes, Trump ticks off every box (because that's how amazing he is--not just any narcissist, but the biggest narcissist of all!!!)

I have friends who have family members with NPD, & they have given valuable insight to me on understanding Trump.  If you've ever dealt with someone with NPD--ugh.  I have a friend who's been completely cut off from friends & family by his NPD wife--she exploits every weakness of character to bend him to her will.  It's quite sick, actually. 

DaveP said:
I will take your word for all of this, I did not follow American politics when this was going on, so I have nothing to offer.

I agree with most of this in that Wahhabism originated in Saudi and not Iran.  I actually have an Iranian friend who came to Paris in 1968, but as I said before, I don't have a problem with the people, only the leadership supplying arms to Hezbollah.

Ok, fine. Please bear with me for just a minute though:

One of the favorite presidents of American conservatives is Ronald Reagan. They typically hail him and cheer him for bringing an end to the clod war. What they typically leave out is the Iran-Contra affair, a name which along with Oliver North should at least sound familiar. The reason this scandal is appropriate to bring up is exactly because of the reasoning that you are implying here, and the example you used.

The US essentially gave Iran - the terrorist supporting country - weapons, and in turn got money which was then handed over to the Contras in Nicaragua - a terrorist organization. This in conjunction with other US anti-Nicaraguan (anti-Sandinista) actions led to Nicaragua taking the US to court and winning. The actions were prohibited by congress, and Oliver North subsequently destroyed documents to cover tracks. Pretty much everyone involved that faced prosecution was either granted immunity or were pardoned by the great Bush Sr.

So, now the question goes back to current colonization. You're either for that or you're not. I would argue it is essentially impossible to maintain without military occupation and force. We're seeing that right before our eyes. The US supports this. Iran supports those fighting against said military occupation and colonization.

So, you can either be in favor of colonization, ignoring everything history should have taught us, or you can oppose it. If you take the stand of opposing it then there are philosophical consequences IF you also then go down the path of characterizing nations based on their behavior, including both their past and current behavior.

We're really just back to the previous point I made: Either we apply these principles universally, or they are overridden by some other more fundamental principle yet to be defined. That other principle is typically just "us vs. them" in some form. In other words, we can pile on all the offenses we are guilty of but it never ever changes the fact that we have the moral high-ground  whereas they never do.

That's the problem.

Now, on a much broader note I'll just state that I think it is far more important that rules apply equally to all than for individual cases to have a certain outcome. The reason for that is because as people see how the individual outcomes affect societies they will adjust accordingly. So if it's equal rights for all then we must all abide by sound universal principles, not cherry pick to whom they apply. In other words "you pick the standard and I'm fine with it, as long as it applies equally to all". And that's exactly where things break down because people generally don't want that.

DaveP said:
I can't agree with this because I have seen what has happened in the UK over a long period of time.  It's probably not something you noticed much in Sweden because the population is small compared to the land area.  Believe me, the UK is bursting at the seams, the price of houses is out of this world, overstretched NHS, lack of school places and ridiculous traffic.  No government has dealt with immigration because of fear of looking like Trump and EU freedom of movement.  Discussion about immigration was suppressed under Tony Blair's government with accusations of racism, but that myth lost credibility over time.  The deep groundswell of resentment finally burst in the referendum and it has thrown a spanner in the works for my retirement in France and cost me 15% of my pension to boot.  Where I used to live is now more like a suburb of Bangladesh, my country is unrecognizable from how it used to be, I wonder if you know how distressing that is to experience.  You might call it culture shock.

DaveP

But your country is a big place, and there are places for you to relocate to that aren't "Bangladeshi". So at the end of the day it's really about money, which is what most of your text above is talking about.

Though fair enough, if you don't like a neighborhood to be "Bangladeshi" then it is what it is I suppose. But I guess I'll just reiterate that over the years people move around the globe and change the fabric of societies, and we normally don't have a problem when we bring our families elsewhere and bring our customs with us, because they all make sense to us, even if they're in the middle of a bunch of black people in Africa or brown people in east Asia, but it's a big problem when they do that to us.

mattiasNYC said:
If you actually read (and quoted) the entire response which included "Did we move the conversation forward now?" the sarcasm should have been obvious.

Not obvious sarcasm to me.  ???  If you have to explain it, it wasn't obvious.

JR

PS: I think I understand part of the problem. It is considered fair game to harshly insult political leaders all the way up to the very top and celebrities we don't agree with.  :mad: Then we are supposed to shift gears to suddenly be nice and civil to mere fellow forum members.  ;D There may be some lag or blurring of lines when we jump between the two modes, since it is much more fun to insult people.  :mad: I don't expect we'll ever get than genie completely back in the bottle in public discourse.  If we can focus on talking about policy and things, rather than people and behaviors, that might help...    or not.

JohnRoberts said:
Not obvious sarcasm to me.  ???  If you have to explain it, it wasn't obvious.

Totally unclear writing. DISASTER! People can't understand..... SAD!!!! Write concise and clear = WINNING!!!

#sarcasm #getit?

JohnRoberts said:
PS: I think I understand part of the problem. It is considered fair game to harshly insult political leaders all the way up to the very top and celebrities we don't agree with.  :mad: Then we are supposed to shift gears to suddenly be nice and civil to mere fellow forum members.  ;D There may be some lag or blurring of lines when we jump between the two modes, since it is much more fun to insult people.  :mad: I don't expect we'll ever get than genie completely back in the bottle in public discourse.  If we can focus on talking about policy and things, rather than people and behaviors, that might help...    or not.

#grabthembythepussy #makefunofdisabled #mexicanrapistdrugdealers #barisset #doh!

Back