Dynamic mics - why so difficult to reproduce?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
soapfoot said "The M380 is a bidirectional, single-pattern moving coil with (I believe?) a headphone driver as mic element".

The UK outfit 'Aston' sold a cheap mic with a so-called 'revolutionary' mic element inside - the mic was called 'Element' - made of (patented, no less! ..we-ell, the name was apparently patented) 'Ridyon capsule technology'. Inside mine was half a headphone.

So it's recently been done, but the quality was gruesome.

soapfoot said "The M380 is a bidirectional, single-pattern moving coil with (I believe?) a headphone driver as mic element".

The UK outfit 'Aston' sold a cheap mic with a so-called 'revolutionary' mic element inside - the mic was called 'Element' - made of (patented, no less! ..we-ell, the name was apparently patented) 'Ridyon capsule technology'. Inside mine was half a headphone.

So it's recently been done, but the quality was gruesome.
The Beyer M380 you mention is literally “half a headphone” wired to the xlr jack. No transformer, no electronics.

I’ve purchased a clone made from NOS beyer parts as well as made 2 of my own from (very) used old stock drivers and they all sound very similar. The Alien8 is another headphone driver mic that sounds fantastic, though less flexible than the M380, imho. But on kick drum with both capsules on… :)

I haven’t used that Aston, but I wouldn’t knock anyone for using headphone drivers.

I suspect that a company like Beyer (read - self serious and giant) would not retool their machining to make a mic that they’ll sell 1000 of. They stopped making that driver/capsule in the 80s when they changed the DT 770/880/990 construction apparently. For all we know the mic could have been a happy accident out of already in-use parts.

The Beyer M380 you mention is literally “half a headphone” wired to the xlr jack. No transformer, no electronics.

I’ve purchased a clone made from NOS beyer parts as well as made 2 of my own from (very) used old stock drivers and they all sound very similar. The Alien8 is another headphone driver mic that sounds fantastic, though less flexible than the M380, imho. But on kick drum with both capsules on… :)

I haven’t used that Aston, but I wouldn’t knock anyone for using headphone drivers.

I suspect that a company like Beyer (read - self serious and giant) would not retool their machining to make a mic that they’ll sell 1000 of. They stopped making that driver/capsule in the 80s when they changed the DT 770/880/990 construction apparently. For all we know the mic could have been a happy accident out of already in-use parts.
I have a sennheiser hd414 sl with one broken side. This headphone has 600 ohms impedance, like the capsule in the Beyerdynamic. So just for the fun of it I soldered a XLR plug to the working "capsule" and tried it in front of kick drum pretty close to the inner head of the drum.
The hd414sl sounds huge and very attractive there, the same in front of a bass cab. I have no experience with the m380 but I guess the same principle (figure of 8 response with a huge proximity effect) that makes the m380 a good microphone for certain tasks apply here also.
I tried various cheap 32 ohm headphone capsules from old Walkman phones but they lacked and measured and sounded crappy.
Here is a comparative measurement with a line audio cm3 ca. 30cm (actually, I do not remember the actual distance, but that is my usual one), in front of a speaker:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-30 at 21.02.37.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-30 at 21.02.37.png
    257.8 KB
Last edited:
I have a sennheiser hd414 sl with one broken side. This headphone has 600 ohms impedance, like the capsule in the Beyerdynamic. So just for the fun of it I soldered a XLR plug to the working "capsule" and tried it in front of kick drum pretty close to the inner head of the drum.
The hd414sl sounded huge and very attractive there, the same in front of a bass cab. I have no experience with the m380 but I guess the same principle (figure of 8 response with a huge proximity effect) that makes the m380 a good microphone for certain tasks apply here also.
I tried various cheap 32 ohm headphone capsules from old Walkman phones but they lacked and measured and sounded crappy.
Here is a comparative measurement with a line audio cm3 ca. 40cm in front of a speaker:
Same principle! I’ve tried probably a dozen headphone drivers now, inspired by learning about the M380. I’ve found the vast majority follow two rules

1) the pickup quality (as a mic) corresponds to playback quality (as headphones).

2) sometimes bad sounding very low impedance (32 ohms and below) drivers sound significantly better with the even a cheap transformer to step up the impedance to something like 300-600ohms.

I’ve found one driver that actually beats out my m380, atm25 and 421 on crunchy tube amp bass guitar. No transformer needed and costs less than 20 bucks for the driver and I mounted in a shock mount with the clips removed. These headphone drivers mics are a really fun and cheap project.

Attachments

• IMG_5307.jpeg
    IMG_5307.jpeg
    83.4 KB
  • dual driver shockmount mic test one no eq.wav
    1.4 MB
Same principle! I’ve tried probably a dozen headphone drivers now, inspired by learning about the M380. I’ve found the vast majority follow two rules

1) the pickup quality (as a mic) corresponds to playback quality (as headphones).

2) sometimes bad sounding very low impedance (32 ohms and below) drivers sound significantly better with the even a cheap transformer to step up the impedance to something like 300-600ohms.

I’ve found one driver that actually beats out my m380, atm25 and 421 on crunchy tube amp bass guitar. No transformer needed and costs less than 20 bucks for the driver and I mounted in a shock mount with the clips removed. These headphone drivers mics are a really fun and cheap project.
That is a very cool way to mount the capsule, I think I am inspired, thank you!

Is it really that much harder to recreate an accurate moving-coil capsule than it is to recreate a K67?
Yes. Anyone with a machine shop, know how and loadsa patience can DIY a good working copy of K67. You can even get suitable diaphragm material easily.

Making a MC capsule is like making a MC speaker unit ... just LOADS more finicky. :)

How many DIYers make their own MC speaker units?

Yes. Anyone with a machine shop, know how and loadsa patience can DIY a good working copy of K67. You can even get suitable diaphragm material easily.

Making a MC capsule is like making a MC speaker unit ... just LOADS more finicky. :)

How many DIYers make their own MC speaker units?
The original question was about manufacturers cloning old mics. Your point is well taken though. Very hard for a DIY person to make a moving coil, but the hundreds (thousands?) of moving coil manufacturers in business today would surely be up to the task.

I’m a believer that there are enough people out there desperate to get rich that if the customer market really was there it would be happening already. But it seems like Warm wants to take a swing at it, so we may see how consumers react to it.

I’m with the guy that said D12 reissue. That could be a crowd pleaser, which would make other manufacturers consider doing the same. Of course it would have to sound good too…

Back