EDAC connector on Amek BC II Need help

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kb

Hi Guys
I've invest into and good old Amek BC II mixer and try to connect it with another equipment. After I've check the unit in detail it's seem to have some problem with the connector. At the back of the unit I've found 3 EDAC connector and I've no clue how to wire the cable for this mixer. It very confusing for and I don't have the schematic of this model and I cannot find it online as well. Here is the pic

Pic at the back

Pic inside the mixer

For no. 3 (inside pic) it doesn't have any ribbon cable attached to it .... I think it was made for future expansion (may be)

I've spot out some circuit board inside in the EDAC connector area that seems to be a custom work from the Amek factory
Anybody can help to guide me how to configure the cable to use with this EDAC connector? Which port do what function?
How can I use the signal from these EDAC connector? Please help

from the photo connectors 1 & 3 look like edac 90 pin  and #2 looks like edac 56. They are all female connectors with nut. So the mating connector would be male with with screw.  Your going to have to find the pinouts so when you make the edac's you know where all the connections go.

Thanks puncho812
I'll order the male connector like you said next week. The hardest part is to identify each pin. I just hope that somebody who have BC 2 can guide me about this and if they have the same "Custom board" install like mine that even better so I can know which port do which port. Anybody who own BC 2 can help? 

Thanks Pierre for the link I hope that some body who familiar  with this board  can help me out
Here is another pic for the circuit board inside

I do own an apparently similar BC2 - at least what we see in the pictures.
The EDAC connectors are a nuisance, they, for instance, have monitor outputs wired on those, and all left (or right?) inputs for stereo channels and so on...
I, personally, completely disassembled the mixer and been planning to rewire everything without the EDACs, so it's been sitting in pieces for years now...
And yes, I also purchased a set of schematics from Colin at audiomaintenance, not cheap, but worth every penny.
Besides, where exactly the long grey ribbon cable on the left of the last picture was going?
I don't think I even have that one.

pucho812 said:
FYI pins come in 2 types, crimp style and solder type. If you don't want to send the $$ to get a crimp hand tool, just buy the solder pins and your done.

Thanks man.

jackies said:
I do own an apparently similar BC2 - at least what we see in the pictures.
The EDAC connectors are a nuisance, they, for instance, have monitor outputs wired on those, and all left (or right?) inputs for stereo channels and so on...
I, personally, completely disassembled the mixer and been planning to rewire everything without the EDACs, so it's been sitting in pieces for years now...
And yes, I also purchased a set of schematics from Colin at audiomaintenance, not cheap, but worth every penny.
Besides, where exactly the long grey ribbon cable on the left of the last picture was going?
I don't think I even have that one.

That was great jackies !!!
Can you help me to identify which one do what function? According to my initial inspection (From pic1: pic at the back)
1 it seems to left out (no connection attached to the port) I guest it should deliver monitor out but still don't know which pin ?
2 ...?? (I have no Idea what it is)
3 it seems to be a "Direct out" from each Ch. (I saw the letter on each wiring with letter "O" on plastic ring then follow by the plastic ring with no. 1-12 screen on it)
If you have experience with this before please help.

off the top of my head ( and i'll let you know if i can find a manual ) conn 3 is line inputs. Its pretty easy to puzzle out the wiring by looking at the rear of the connector. Conn 2 is remote starts etc, you don't need this. Conn 1 is monitoring out, A and B spks and all the external monitoring inputs. Those wire links on the rear of the pcb are normal and set to configure the signals to the meter bridge.

squib said:
off the top of my head ( and i'll let you know if i can find a manual ) conn 3 is line inputs. Its pretty easy to puzzle out the wiring by looking at the rear of the connector. Conn 2 is remote starts etc, you don't need this. Conn 1 is monitoring out, A and B spks and all the external monitoring inputs. Those wire links on the rear of the pcb are normal and set to configure the signals to the meter bridge.

Thanks squib for the info. but I don't understand the connector 2 that you talking about "The remote starts" what is it? Did you mean? Please help

Most of those mixers were equipped with remote mutes and some even with remote faders - vca on each channel, that's "remote starts" for you.

pucho812 said:
from the photo connectors 1 & 3 look like edac 90 pin  and #2 looks like edac 56. They are all female connectors with nut. So the mating connector would be male with with screw.  Your going to have to find the pinouts so when you make the edac's you know where all the connections go.

Sorry puncho812 I just saw your post. According to the question that you ask it is the ribbon cable that attached to the 4 AUX module. I've remove the cable out while I take a photo inside 

jackies said:
Most of those mixers were equipped with remote mutes and some even with remote faders - vca on each channel, that's "remote starts" for you.

Thanks jackies. If you have a pic I'd love to see it to educate myself about this I don't have much knowledge about the big format console before....this is first time.

What configuration is the mixer?

The really important bit to get the channels to pass audio are the DB50 connectors that you can see below the XLRs.

They are the insert send and returns. You either need to jumper the send to the return, or wire the DB50's to a normalled patchbay otherwise the channels won't pass any audio...

Hey, thanks for the pictures!
And Sammas brings a very important point - those connectors have to be connected, I personally have plugs with links soldered in, been a few times when I forget to plug them and then sit there frustrated because nothing is working...
::)

Sammas said:
What configuration is the mixer?

The really important bit to get the channels to pass audio are the DB50 connectors that you can see below the XLRs.

They are the insert send and returns. You either need to jumper the send to the return, or wire the DB50's to a normalled patchbay otherwise the channels won't pass any audio...

Hi Sammas
The configuration of my Mixer is
BC1115/4      12 units
BC1146          1 unit
BC1135/4      2 units
BC1155          1 unit

At this moment I still don't have the proper EDAC and DB 50 cable to test this mixer. Just monitor it through the head phone.
Once I know how to use  EDAC & DB 50 connector configuration I'll order the cable to test it.   

Back