Ela-M 251 Body from Aliexpress

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird, I have never heard a TC capsule I don’t find too bright. I’ve heard Haun’s that are dark but take eq well and sound fairly authentic. Tim’s just sound glassy to me.
However Ben’s sound spot on when I install them.
Just goes to show Paul how your opinion is in the minority.

No, I just have better taste and don’t drink the Kool Aid.
I think the last 2 posters just stated the opposite. kingkorg, like me actually measures these things. Earlier your stated unequivocally an Austrian Audio capsule sounded exactly like a CK12 and I believe before that you said the same thing about the Haun and the Heiserman.

Last edited:
I'm not interested in bashing BN, i've had a few of their products on my bench and i was not impressed. Fiddling with their CK12 for the first time. And i can promise, these are not superior to others available in any way. I could go balistic and share the images and measurements, but as i said i'm not into starting a war right now. They are a family business, people seem to be satisfied with their products, so i don't really care.
Hi there. I am sad to hear that the capsules aren’t perfect. I am more than happy to replace them free of charge if that will help? Just send them back and I’ll send you a new pair. They will be matched and with 1pf of each other.
Let me know.

Hi there. I am sad to hear that the capsules aren’t perfect. I am more than happy to replace them free of charge if that will help? Just send them back and I’ll send you a new pair. They will be matched and with 1pf of each other.
Let me know.
I will drop you a pm. All the best.

I think the last 2 posters just stated the opposite. kingkorg, like me actually measures these things. Earlier your stated unequivocally an Austrian Audio capsule sounded exactly like a CK12 and I believe before that you said the same thing about the Haun and the Heiserman.
They all sound better to me than yours imo yes.

I wish all this backbiting would stop.

Most of us know that even two AKG brass CK12 rarely sound the same. It is a devil of a capsule that according to the law of the universe shouldn’t really even exist, but it does. I think it is a great thing that anybody is even trying to produce great examples of this capsule.

For heavens sake, if you’ve found one you like, let alone a pair, be happy - you’ve practically won the lottery.

Last edited:
Hi All. CK12 capsules can be an absolute pain to make but in saying that I think we know what we are doing. we have made over 3000 CK12 backplates this year alone and have sold hundreds of these capsules to in ones and two's and even more in large batches. As far as I know, we have satisfied each and every one of Customer.

@TIM, hi mate, we too measure each and every capsule. for one off customers, we guarantee 0.5pf of variation between the backplates and if they buy more than one capsule we guarantee 1pf capsule to capsule. For our larger orders of 20+ capsules, we will guarantee 0.5pf plate to plate and capsule to capsule. For our larger orders, we can even manufacture to the specified capacitance +/_0.25pf.

If you have a New CK12 capsule that doesn't sound right, it would make sense to send it back for replacement or warranty. why would you send it elsewhere unless.......

There are some really decent ck12 manufacturers out there. Most buy their metalwork from trusted local machine shops and then finish and tune the parts, then assemble the capsule and they do a really nice job. We take it one step further, we buy the raw materials, program and tool the multi axis Cnc machine, man the machines, sputter the diaphragms and tune then assemble the capsules. Are we better than the others? no we aren't but we are just as capable and we make way more than all of the other manufacturers combined.

I love that there are options these days, but to say a capsule doesn't sound right and not allow the manufacturer a chance to fix it; (putting on my best English accent) "That's just not proper"!!

Ben thanks for chiming in. My comment about measurement, and all my comments here are not in reference to your work or process but to Paul's perception. I was just trying to point out that we can all have opinions. One man's meat is another man's poison.
My capsules are not particularly bright and to classify them that way in every post as if it is fact really does all my years of work a disservice.
I only comment because my work was referenced here and if I don't comment the 500 or whatever incorrect posts that get posted by someone start to ring true no matter how untrue they might be. I am sorry I won't get to see you in NAMM in January. It is always a pleasure.

Ben thanks for chiming in. My comment about measurement, and all my comments here are not in reference to your work or process but to Paul's perception. I was just trying to point out that we can all have opinions. One man's meat is another man's poison.
My capsules are not particularly bright and to classify them that way in every post as if it is fact really does all my years of work a disservice.
I only comment because my work was referenced here and if I don't comment the 500 or whatever incorrect posts that get posted by someone start to ring true no matter how untrue they might be. I am sorry I won't get to see you in NAMM in January. It is always a pleasure.
Hi Tim. Thanks for the message. No worries at all. I’m sad you won’t be at NAMM this year!

Thanks Ben, could you tell us the sound differences , and why you choose the option ?
The Al is more rigid at low frequencies and this tightens the low end response. It allows me to work off a lower resonant frequency without the lows becoming muddy. This lower set resonance in turn also makes the high end response more natural.

I wish all this backbiting would stop.

Most of us know that even two AKG brass CK12 rarely sound the same. It is a devil of a capsule that according to the law of the universe shouldn’t really even exist, but it does. I think it is a great thing that anybody is even trying to produce great examples of this capsule.

For heavens sake, if you’ve found one you like, let alone a pair, be happy - you’ve practically won the lottery.
Well said. Especially since we all have different preferences/expectations. I compared Beesneez' K7 to other K47s and (for me) it blew them away. No I have not used a Neumann K47; out of my price range. In practice, though; I have not liked the K7 and I realized K47s just aren't for me. That's just a preference. M7 forever, for me.

It may be that my BN CK12 has an issue, or (probably more likely) it's just not my thing. I bought it in 2016, and didn't have any reference to compare to at the time.

We have learned so much since 2016, in fact we have purchased 4 new cnc machines since then. I’d be more than happy to replace the capsule with a current version. The Al version may be more what your after.

Email me

We have learned so much since 2016, in fact we have purchased 4 new cnc machines since then. I’d be more than happy to replace the capsule with a current version. The Al version may be more what your after.

Email me
You are wellcome to send a capsule to me for measuring, i will do it free of charge and post all my findings. Same thing i did with Soliloqueen's capsules, no one ever complained.
I have no horse in this race, i don't make any money from my presence here. I will return the capsule back. I just expect all the shipping and import duties to be covered. As i said before, i'm not sharing my detailed findings on the two i have here, and my goal is not to hurt the company.

This would hopefully solve the mess we created here.

Last edited:

Email me
Thanks! I've seen IG videos of your new machine.

I had sent my email to your iCloud address. I'll forward it to the one in your sig

Back