Electrolytic capacitors with hi ripple current

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekid777

Which radial standard 85° capacitors made today can match high ripple current of capacitors made 30-40 years ago?
Thank you

Last edited:

@thekid777

Which radial standard 85° capacitors made today can match high ripple current of capacitors made 30-40 years ago?
Thank you
It will be very helpful for us to answering correctly back to you, if you -First of all- tell us what kind of amplifier is this that you need these radial standard 85° capacitors which are made today that can match the high ripple current of capacitors made 30-40 years ago?...

So let’s say is this amplifier a Hiwatt DR103 100w guitar amplifier and you need a 100 + 100 / 500 Volt Dual Value Radial Caps with Solder Lugs like this one F+T 100uF x 100uF, 500V dual electrolytic caspacitor?...

Because I'll not cook any chicken or eggs!

Ok, but i hope you're also aware that the expected lifetime doubles for every 10C under the rated temperature.

1000h @ 105C -> 2000h @ 95C -> 4000h @ 85C etc

So insisting on 85C caps is... hard to justify. Especially since even the cost differences are minimal.

So let’s say is this amplifier a Hiwatt DR103 100w guitar amplifier and you need a 100 + 100 / 500 Volt Dual Value Radial Caps with Solder Lugs like this one F+T 100uF x 100uF, 500V dual electrolytic caspacitor?...

Do you happen to have some financial interest in promoting all those esoteric capacitors? 🤨

Right—if anyone has some empirical data showing that older capacitors were more tolerant of ripple current, I’d be very curious to see it!

Do you happen to have some financial interest in promoting all those esoteric capacitors? 🤨
Nope, just like the “Lucky Luke” I am still “a poor and lonely” DIY-er who ruined his pockets back in time, making my Marshall JMP 1959 100w Plexi clone, so I know very well "the pain for his pocket" that someone DIY-er Guitar amp. builder has, especially if you multiply the price of the F+T 100uF x 100uF, 500V Dual Value Radial Electrolytic Caps with Solder Lugs, five times for his guitar amp…

Attachments

• lucky-luke-wallpaper-preview.jpg
    lucky-luke-wallpaper-preview.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back