Equaliser Curve Analyser shows frequencies moving - what does this mean?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canidoit

I just got this EQ Curve Analyser plugin that shows the EQ curve of what my equaliser does.

I tested it on an outboard EQ and noticed that most of the mid-low to low end squiggled around and was not stationary.
View attachment Equaliser analysis.mp4

Is this a sign of something wrong with the unit, ie. capacitors are about to die?

Other EQ are more stationary with their lines.

I think it sounds OK though when I use the EQ, but I am wondering whether this would cause any phase issues or abnormalities when I use it for Mastering?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have no idea what your plugin does, but it could be noise, could be a ground loop or, if your plugin outputs a signal sweep, then it could be the fact that your plug-in is implementing FFT, and if the device is sweeping the excitation signal, you should expect some variation. Without more information it is impossible to tell....

However, let me point out that analog audio is not perfect, people are used to plugins and the wonders of a hex word consisting of 000000h, when you go out to the real world, things will happen.

Hi user 37518, I am using the Bertom EQ Curve Analyzer plugin, its free. You have to put it before and after the insert plugin that inserts your outboard EQ.
1. Bertom EQ Curve Analyzer
2. Outboard insert plugin
3. Bertom EQ Curve Analyzer

The first instance(1) sends a repetitive audio burst > goes to the outboard(2) > second instance(3) analyses the results and shows the EQ curve on screen.

I wanted to know if it was an indicator of a faulty unit and if so, then I will get it fixed as I want to use it for Mastering.

Back