F***ing Sovtek!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis

So I'm experimenting with an new build at the moment, a 3 channel all tube guitar preamp, and I'm running the heaters on regulated 12.6VDC.  I've got the heater PSU all hooked up and decide to give it a quick test to see if it will take the load of 7 12AX7's without going up in smoke.  I've decided to go cautiously while I hook it up so I've got a DMM on the output of the regulator, a DMM on the secondary of the transformer, and a clamp-on ammeter on one of the secondaries feeding the input to the PSU, just so I can see what's going on as I run the PSU up.

I turn on the PSU and all is fine - 12.6VDC on the output, 15VAC on the input, no appreciable current shown on the clamp-on.  Plug in a 12AX7 (an old Philips Miniwatt), all goes smoothly, 12.6VDC, 15VAC and curent has increased by 150mA (as you would expect for a 12AX7 run with it's heaters in series).  Continue plugging in 12AX7's noting that the voltages stay largely the same and the current goes up by 150mA each time.

So I decide to plug in the last four 12AX7's in one hit.  They're Sovtek 12AX7WA's, nothing too special.  I look over at the meters and I've suddenly got 10VDC on the reg, 12VAC from the transformer and I'm pulling close to 1.8A from the tranny!  Something's amiss.  So I pull all the tubes out and start plugging in the Sovtek's one by one.  As I plug in each one the heater current rises by 300mA instead of the usual 150mA.  Thinking maybe I got a dud batch I try another four Sovtek's I bought in a different shopping spree - all the same.

So there you have it.  I've got no idea why Sovtek have done it, but they've decided to stick in different heaters in their 12AX7WA's.  Every datasheet I've ever seen for a 12AX7 has always listed the heaters as 150mA in series/300mA in parallel.  For some reason the Sovteks are twice this.

A couple of years back I made a preamp using four Sovtek 12AX7WA's run on regulated 12VDC.  I always thought the regulator ran hot for a load of only 600mA, even though the preamp worked fine.  I guess I need to revisit it and double-check I'm not pulling 1.2A instead!

For those of you who use the Sovtek's in your amps/preamps I'd recommend checking how much heater current they're drawing in case you're pushing the heater supply too far.

interesting find.  I will check my older sovtek 12ax7s when I have time

I googled sovtek 12ax7wa specs and heater current and did not find anything about the heater current Steve Bench's site has some 12ax7 tube curves.  I did find the following links
http://forum.ampage.org/forum.php?cmd=vt&tid=8151
http://music-electronics-forum.com/showthread.php?t=8151

A few questions did you measure the resistance from 4 to 9 to 5 and compare with other 12ax7s?

How did the operation points compare between other 12ax7s plate and cathode voltage?

Its probably a blessing in disguise, Sovtek 12AX7WA's are pretty mediocre sounding.
I pluck them out and throw them in the bin.

Take a close look at those Sovteks, is there a shield between the two triode sections? Check resistance pin 9 to 4 and 9 to 5. Measure open circuit? If yes to both questions they're relabeled 6N2P, these have heaters connected internally in parallel pins 4 & 5, shield is on pin 9. The heater is rated 345mA +/- 30mA at 6.3V only. If you try running it on 12.6V the current draw will increase.
A long shot but stranger things have happened in russian factories...

Gus said:
interesting find.  I will check my older sovtek 12ax7s when I have time

A few questions did you measure the resistance from 4 to 9 to 5 and compare with other 12ax7s?

How did the operation points compare between other 12ax7s plate and cathode voltage?

I get 20 ohms between 4 and 5 and 10 ohms between 9 and 4/5.  The Philips Miniwatt I mentioned earlier has 11 ohms 4-5 and 5.5 ohms 9-4/5.  But I'm measuring the tube at cold, and the actual resistance will vary as the heater warms up.

I'd be curious to see if any other new manufactured tubes (not just the 12AX7 either) exhibit similar deviations from what's in the datasheets.

VacuumVoodoo said:
Take a close look at those Sovteks, is there a shield between the two triode sections? Check resistance pin 9 to 4 and 9 to 5. Measure open circuit? If yes to both questions they're relabeled 6N2P, these have heaters connected internally in parallel pins 4 & 5, shield is on pin 9. The heater is rated 345mA +/- 30mA at 6.3V only. If you try running it on 12.6V the current draw will increase

Yes, I've heard of rebranding of other tubes, but in this case the pinout is definitely for a 12AX7.

I'm just surprised (and also a bit pissed) that over the years I've bought a number of the Sovteks under the mistaken belief that they're a drop in replacement for any 12AX7.  I'd expect sonic and curve characteristic differences between brands, but not something as basic as filament current draw.

Latest posts

Back