Favorite audio books?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Audio books in my life were mostly for long trips with my kid when he was grade school age. One favorite was Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke. Brendan Fraser reads it & gives a delightful performance. I often recommend it to adults I know who regularly consume audio books.

I'd say one of the greatest audiobooks I've ever listened to was Roadside Picnic read by Robert Forster—he was just such an unreal talent at everything.
Norm MacDonald's Based on a True Story is a gem, if only for him reading it. That's one of the best books I've read in years.
Lou Perez's That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore was good for laughs while working or driving.
I'm currently finishing Generation Kill—might not be for everyone, but between hearing Marines' accounts of just how ridiculous Operation Iraqi Freedom was implemented as they were in it and reliving the culture of young men in 2003 was sort of funny will also sobering.

Born Standing Up, written and read by Steve Martin. I'm not the biggest fan of the nostaligic but its a charming account of paying dues and making the do-nuts by someone really adept in the laughing-at-oneself department

Love knowing Ben Franklin/CJ is a beat addict.

Atm, listening in the car to "American Cosmic" by D.W. Pasulka

The pseudonymous "Tyler Durden" in the above book is very much like a modern-day Neal Cassady.

Not electronics

Like this>

For Audiobooks I mostly listen to nonfiction literature, and I can recommend "Abraham Lincoln - The Prairie Years and The War Years" by Carl Sandburg and narrated by Arthur Morey. In general, Arthur Morey does a ton of nonfiction audiobooks, and his voice is a gem.

I don't know if anyone feels the same way, but for fiction I find that reading through the imagery myself is much more imaginative than listening to it in audiobook form. The exception is epic poems or plays that are dramatized by a full cast of talented voice actors, like The Lord of the Rings 1981 Radio Series (Dramatised) by BBC Radio which includes a music score by Stephen Oliver. Fun fact, Ian Holm, who at the time was only 50 years old, voiced Frodo Baggins in the BBC Radio drama 20 years before he was cast as Bilbo Baggins at 70 years of age in the 2001 Lord of the Rings Trilogy by Peter Jackson.

It's worth noting that there are also many educational podcasts for a more conversational experience, with some hosts having a plethora of valuable knowledge and exciting stories to tell (especially if they lived through the 1900's). All the podcasts worth listening to usually have audio-engineers and mixers behind them anyways, so they more or less sound the same as a professional audiobook.

Never really got into audiobooks,
never appealed to me for some reason, but actually with so much litle time to be at home nowadays relaxing and reading, and with so much travelling I guess it makes complete sense to try I out.

Thanks for the thread, you made me rethink my user relation with books

Latest posts

Back