Share a photo

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A dragon fly I photographed whilst walking in the South Downs & I hornet that I took with my home made extreme macro rig. The hornet is a composite of 80 pictures with the in focus parts of each shot stacked using a piece of software called zerene stacker.

Attachments

• dragon.jpg
    dragon.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0
  • hornet.jpg
    hornet.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 0
The dragonfly looks awesome.

Here is a low res but cute phone photo of a banded dotterel chick that I was less than 3 feet away from. The phone is a Samsung galaxy Xcover 4 (released in 2017). I hate spending money on phones, but I like taking wildlife photos. I'm going to need to get a camera.

Attachments

• dotterel.jpg
    dotterel.jpg
    693.3 KB · Views: 0
During the covid lockdowns we escaped to my country place and filled the time by building a studio and guest apartment. It was a struggle getting through it and I completely lost interest by the time I got to the plastering and painting. Doing it on my own took a toll and I spent a month in bed sometime afterward with a herniated disc.

My new hate (love to hate), is that damned MCI console in the picture that’s gone from fire every time I turned on the power to now finally about 75% working.

When I’m in town I build microphones now thanks to you guys.

The picture shows the main room, apartment is to the right with a bedroom above (in the pic).

IMG_3486D.jpeg

During the covid lockdowns we escaped to my country place and filled the time by building a studio and guest apartment. It was a struggle getting through it and I completely lost interest by the time I got to the plastering and painting. Doing it on my own took a toll and I spent a month in bed sometime afterward with a herniated disc.

My new hate (love to hate), is that damned MCI console in the picture that’s gone from fire every time I turned on the power to now finally about 75% working.

When I’m in town I build microphones now thanks to you guys.

The picture shows the main room, apartment is to the right with a bedroom above (in the pic).

View attachment 122248
Hmmmm! A MCI JH-636. The DO require recapping in year 2024 since they are now approx. 40 years old!

Bri

Yes I'm saving up to buy a capacitor manufacturing plant. I'm hoping I can pay for it with secondhand little red IC sockets.
OMG.....red sockets as well! Must have been an early serial number.

FWIW...I seldom have had problems with the axial capacitors....several desks over the decades. Biggest culprits were the radials (22 uF as I recall) which were in the little heat oven in the EQ section....on the main PCB and below the small "sub board". In addition to the closed in area were several 5532 opamps cranking out the warmth.

Lucky you....the Unobtanium module extender!

Bri

/Edit Just be happy that you don't have the infamous Flame.....errr.....Plasma meter option.

Thanks for that Brian, all tips and information welcome I'll start with the 22µf in my maintenance schedules. The module extender is a bonus, and yes I've heard the plasma meters can be a problem- I dont think I could afford the power bill.
It is an early one, serial 119 built in May 1979. Curiously I've been swapping notes with a guy trying to get one going up in Queensland, his is Serial 120 built in June

Thanks for that Brian, all tips and information welcome I'll start with the 22µf in my maintenance schedules. The module extender is a bonus, and yes I've heard the plasma meters can be a problem- I dont think I could afford the power bill.
It is an early one, serial 119 built in May 1979. Curiously I've been swapping notes with a guy trying to get one going up in Queensland, his is Serial 120 built in June
The first one I encountered was a "factory fresh" model from 1979....serial number long forgotten. I was hired as both the main session engineer as well as the fella who kept the desk and a MCI JH-24 multitrack running! People diss MCI....yet here we are 40+ years later using the equipment.

That expiration date on the "MCI milk bottle" seems to keep extending! lol

Bri

/Edit...I assume you aren't using the automation. It was VERY cool to me as a mix engineer in the 1980's but is now a train wreck in terms of maintenance. Hope and pray that at least the fader groups still function!

Last edited:
/Edit...I assume you aren't using the automation. It was VERY cool to me as a mix engineer in the 1980's but is now a train wreck in terms of maintenance. Hope and pray that at least the fader groups still function!

I spent a quite a bit of time with the automation and it's beaten me so far. I figured I'd leave that until everything else works. I have used the automation years ago when I had an Ampex MM1200,but I can't see it being useful now although it would be nice to have working mute buttons (as well as fader groups).

I spent a quite a bit of time with the automation and it's beaten me so far. I figured I'd leave that until everything else works. I have used the automation years ago when I had an Ampex MM1200,but I can't see it being useful now although it would be nice to have working mute buttons (as well as fader groups).
Re. the automation. CHECK the various regulated voltages coming from the 3-terminal regulators on the back edge of the "flop down" Belly Pan. If the various voltages are still attached to the Processor and Digitizer boards via the OEM Molex plugs, chop off the Molexes and hard solder the power lines to the circuit boards.

Beyond that, good luck <g> From the late 1980's, I do recall having major probs with the main processor board. A small company (from Atlanta, GA????) sold a retrofit that got me running again. Got a few more years out of the automation before we sold the desk in the early 1990's. The automation was working well, but in the late 70's when the desk was built, Schadow was manufacturing totally defective pushbutton switches. The Schadow debacle impacted MANY desks and MCI was one of the brands.

In more recent times, when dealing with a 636 desk and kaput automation, I've pondered doing a fader pack mod. Replace the momentary C&K mute pushbuttons with push on/off to work around the errant automation. But, it won't give you back the fader grouping function.

Bri

PS

@Kelvin Zero OOPS! We should move the JH-636 discussion to somewhere like The Lab!

Last edited:
Tube amplifier for ham radio in the large blue-green box on the lower right. Used an 833A tube. This is a friend's Dad's ham radio station.
He built the amplifier and the box on the top of it. He preferred AM rather than side band as the tones were better.

Dads radio station main radio.jpg

Latest posts

Back