Share a photo

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK.....very cool. So I guess unexposed 4 x 5 film/plates are made somewhere...where? And someone can still process them.

I guess that pic was shot on Ektrachrome (sp)?

Bri

New studio photo. 4” x 5” plate. Watson press camera.
Paul, I am assuming this is your studio. I would love to be your teaboy for a week's industrial placement.

I shot (architectural models) on 5" x 4" Sinar a number of times. Not on plate though, just negative film. A friend of mine had a studio next door to my office and he used to let me use it. Sadly he passed away recently (and I am actually helping out his wife in sorting and selling his equipment., over the weekend I was dismantling his over head gantry lighting system which was one of the only three in the entire UK) Very sad.

I’m not sure I have all the terminology correct. He did one shot on 5” x 7” and this one on 4” x 5”. Both with the Watson camera. Different lenses.

The developed film is slides. The scans were done from the silde film on a drum scanner. The processing was done at Colorhouse

They sell large format film. This film was from Larry’s private stash.

Hey Paul.....very cool. Transparencies (sp?) are large pieces of film that you can view with a back light. Negatives are an "inverse" that are seen by human eyes after printing onto photo paper.

Seems like your "plates" were Ektachrome. Somewhere in my disaster of files, I have a 8 x 10 Ektachrome transparency piece of film shot via a VERY large "view camera" at the ad agency.

It's vaguely like seeing a set of a frames on 16mm, 35 mm or 70mm movie prints.

Best comparison I can make is 1" or 2" stereo tape vs a cassette <g>.

Bri

PS....1/2" stereo tape sounds quite nice!

Seems like your "plates" were Ektachrome. Somewhere in my disaster of files, I have a 8 x 10 Ektachrome transparency piece of film shot via a VERY large "view camera" at the ad agency.
Larry had giant view camera's stashed in storage spaces before he retired. He was an art photographer. Meaning he photographed artworks. For places like Sotheby's. He likes the old stuff whether it be photographic or audio. The 1960's are kind of late for him. He has an Ampex 440 8tr and 2tr. He prefers the 350's and 351 he has. All mixed through a Gates broadcast console. Heavily modified.

Paul, I am assuming this is your studio. I would love to be your teaboy for a week's industrial placement.
You are welcome to visit anytime! You have a lot of skills I wish I had. My sister in law is Armenian Turkish. She has family in Turkey and speaks Turkish.

You are welcome to visit anytime! You have a lot of skills I wish I had. My sister in law is Armenian Turkish. She has family in Turkey and speaks Turkish.
Thank you. Hopefully one day, also to meet your family and sister-in-law too.

I am a jack of a number of trades, but you are a master of what you do.

One 1983 afternoon, 40 years ago, I decided to make an experimental music video. The tools I had were a cassette machine for audio playback, an Apple II, a graphics program called Fire Organ, and a VHS machine to record to. I pre-recorded the audio, scripted the titles using Basic print commands, and then used Fire Organ's hot keys to lay in, on-the-fly, the video elements. It was then recorded to VHS.

It's best viewed in the same state of mind it was recorded in...

Latest posts

Back