Favorite DIY masterbus comp? Also chili ingredients! :)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XAXAU

What's your favorite DIY master bus compressor?

Want to get some ideas on what to build. I like snappy action like the SSL but it would be nice with some more color, so it doesn't have to be transparent! :)

Buuut 1178 doesn't have that nice discrete output 1176 does, or the discrete recovery amp right next to the FET... I'd rather go for a dual 1176 even more if looking for some color... I know most of the magic comes from the FET it self, but you can't say those discrete amps have nothing to do!

JS

I really like the UAD 1176 Mk2 on just about everything and it's nice and snappy on buses.

The PM670 looks really nice, is there anyone making PCB's for it anymore?

gyraf said:
1176's are nearly impossible to get to track in stereo...
Yes I've been reading all morning about that, bummer!

What about the 1178, is it good for stereo?

A friend was using the alan smart  [ ssl  ? ]  comp and liked it until he heard it reacting badly overloading low frequency content
and he couldn't not hear it after that , I'm guessing it was artifact / product of the vca chip , dumped it after that.
using the RNC comp on supernice mode could not get it to distort [ the rnc limiter was a different story ]

XAXAU said:
I really like the UAD 1176 Mk2 on just about everything and it's nice and snappy on buses.

I doubt that. Got mine from a member here. But you see some boards from time to time in the black market

weiss said:
XAXAU said:

I doubt that. Got mine from a member here. But you see some boards from time to time in the black market

Time for a new updated run maybe? :)

I wonder why no one's doing it? It's a cool affordable box! :)

XAXAU said:
maybe because it's much cheaper compared to vca comps including all the transformers and tubes ;)

weiss said:
XAXAU said:
maybe because it's much cheaper compared to vca comps including all the transformers and tubes ;)

Is it? :p

I just mean that why isn't anyone perfecting the board and at least doing runs of 10?

If I had the knowledge of making complicated designs like these I'd constantly be perfecting them.

My chili though can win contests!  8)

chili....
I'm a Texan who doesn't live in Texas anymore and I'm starving, and you just gave me a dinner idea.
For me chili is all about slow cooking, and chipotle. I used to like to get the canned chipotle cause the sauce in there is the bomb.
I also like to mix it up and throw some lamb or mutton in at around 40-50%.
Oh also, I like to roast the tomatoes ahead of time cause that really brings out sugars and great flavor. If I'm making green chili (with pork and green chilies) I like to roast poblanos and tomatillos. I can't get any of those ingredients down here in Ecuador, but I do have seeds to grow them in my garden once I have time.

What are your chili secrets? Also do you have any knowledge of vegetarian chili? Nowadays it seems like there are a lot of vegetarians around and I'd love to be able to make vegetarian chili alongside regular chili. If you think back to the dishes origins on the Chisholm Trail it sounds crazy, but maybe its worth a shot.

Back to the bus compressor...
There is another varimu option which is the prr176. The project is cool 'cause you can really tailor it to your needs.

weiss said:
XAXAU said:

i hope you got my irony ;)

I sure do! :)

I think vegetarian chilis are a bit boring since I believe that half of the magic in a chili comes from animal fat, meat, bones, marrow and such.

I usually make the stock with veggies, chilis, bones, marrow, beer and water a day before making the chili. Onions and shredded carrots are good for sweetness balancing IMO. Canned tomatoes go bitter and weird if simmered to long so those go in the day of making the chili, if fresh aren't used.

An underestimated flavor bomb is cow's tail.  A few pieces of vertebrae will do wonders. Big bones with lots of marrow is a must too.

I put in weird stuff like dark chocolate and Swedish chewing tobacco as well. Not a lot, just a hint of it.

I have a nice extreme food shop nearby that has a plethora of chili varieties that I can't remember the names of but I usually trust the guy in the store and try out different combos. Chipotle is a must though IMO.

Back