Feeler: A “Pod” of Pultecs… ezP-1A, ezMEQ5 and ezHLF-3 for Christmas

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Colin,

You've left us starving out here starving :)
Do you have more details on prices and availability?

I know you said two weeks. But it's been a very long week already :D :D

:guiness:

Sorry for the delay.... having trouble sourcing a couple of parts... and I also decided at the last minute to change the fuse holders on the PCB to a different type.

I'll get the ezP-1A kits into the on-line store this week but there will be a lead time... probably about a month.... sorry.

The ezP-1A kit will be GBP 529.00 (or GBP 499.00 each for 2 kits).

Prices exclude freight and VAT (if applicable).

I'll try to do the ezMEQ5 pricing this week.... it will probably be a little more expensive as it has an extra pair of inductors (but that will be offset slightly by less knobs).

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

I'll get the ezP-1A kits into the on-line store this week but there will be a lead time... probably about a month.... sorry.

The ezP-1A kit will be GBP 529.00 (or GBP 499.00 each for 2 kits).

No problem :) but glad you told us because we need to start saving (I surely do :p

The ezMEQ5 will be GBP 40.00 more expensive due to the extra inductors.

The ezMEQ5 and the ezP-1A are both now available for pre-order from our store.

They both use the same tertiary feedback output transformer version of the Pultec amplifier (like EQP-1A).

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Slenderchap said:
Nearly finished with R&D ....

big_pod_of_pultecs_-_small.jpg

Just a couple of ezMEQ5's to go.... they should be done this coming week.

Built an ezP-1A the other day.... took 1Hour 51 minutes .... from a blank PCB to a fully finished unit...

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Well - just to verify Colin's claim of the insanely short build time!!!
Colin asked if I would build an EQ1 from his colourbook guide just to be sure the instructions are good.

i only made 2 mistakes! - the first being that i forgot my specs!! - so I borrowed a magnifying glass and set to it.

As a rule, I always check each individual component for value/type before placing it on the pcb.
Building was done on a pcb assembly frame, so components would be fitted in groups of ascending height and then soldered before moving onto the next batch of higher components. Soldering without my specs warranted that i then check each lot of soldering before moving onto the next batch of components - this increased build time somewhat.
Big components(pots/switches/transformers/etc) were fitted out of the frame, tacking one or two pins, making sure the component was seated properly before soldering the rest of the pins. Output and mains transformers are connectorised, so bolt in, plug in and GO.
NO cables need to be made. 2 ribbon cables are provided to link front panel pcbs to the amp board.

The only build mistake that i made - because i didn't read the instructions, was that i missed the insulation sleeves on the regs and bridge, before fitting the heatsinks. This was remedied on Colins inspection at the end of the build, - it took about 2 minutes to remove the clips, pop on the sleeves, and re-clip to the heatsinks.

A case wasn't available to rack up the pcbs, so it was tested bare on an insulated workbench.
Supply voltages and ripple were checked, the valves inserted, voltages and ripples checked again. XLR's plugged in, audio passed and all control functionality checked.
unit worked from the off.

Checked the clock and from start to finish, time spent was 2hrs35mins. Case will be supplied flat pack and to add the knobs i would reckon 20 to 30 minutes.

SO - give me my specs and i reckon a 2 hour build is definitely possible!!

A stereo pair could easily/comfortably built in a short day at the bench!

Well, Colin has let me take this set and another EQ1 home to play with for a long while - HAPPY TIMES.

Orders are being taken!!

Hi Colin,

Question: is there a tap on the power transformer for those of us with 120V in our walls?

This looks great!

-Scott

Yes, it can work on 110 and 240v... it has a voltage selector switch on the PCB.

[Ironically, this switch is the item which is holding up this whole project.... everyone is out of stock and the manufacturer keeps moving the delivery date... it started as the 20th July and has changed 4 times now... currently we are at the 26th August..... However, we are now going to ship all the orders with the switch missing and some instructions on how to temporarily bypass the switch for either voltage... then send out the switches when the finally get here... at least people can get their units built and in use].

Colin,
www.audiomaintenance.com

I just ordered two ezP-1A kits!!  ;D
Soooo looking forward to building these.
Will my units still be of the first batch?

Thanks for creating these kits!!

Hey Colin,

the links to the ezMEQ5 and EQP1-A color-books on your website don't work - as well as the links to "what's included"

any info on that?

Today built the motherboards for a pair of ezMEQ5s! Now on to the daughter boards and chassis assembly.
586A1103.jpg

and they're done! A pair of the ezMEQ5s to go with our pair of Tube Tech PE-1Bs.
meq5.jpg

Hi Rob - nice build! How long did they take from start to finish?
What software/interface have you used for the plots?

Thanks

Mike

I took my time and double checked my work as I did it every step of the way, so I spent the better part of a day doing the two motherboards. The next day I did the 4 daughter boards and final chassis assembly which took about half a day. Since I was building two, I had to do everything twice, so obviously that took twice as long. You could easily build one in less than a day if you're at all experienced with kit building.

For making the frequency response plots I used Room EQ Wizard V5. Its free and very powerful.

Latest posts

Back