[FEELER] C12 Clone Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please indicate which project configuration would most interest you.

• pcb's only

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • pcb's and donor microphone

Votes: 22 11.1%
  • partial kit (pcb, electronic components, transformer)

Votes: 37 18.6%
  • partial kit with donor microphone

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • complete turn-key package

Votes: 83 41.7%

• Total voters
Wow!! I would be gladly in for one premium package!
Cable,  Neutrik-connectors and Electronic components as far as they are mouser stock parts could be left out since they deliver nicely and fast to Germany.
Andreas

morbleu said:
Cable,  Neutrik-connectors and Electronic components as far as they are mouser stock parts could be left out since they deliver nicely and fast to Germany.
Andreas

From Europe, it may also be easier to order the capsule directly from Tim. . . I think for US customers, there may be advantages to a batch shipment to me first.  Because I think a lot of people here have already gathered various parts and know how to source things for themselves, we'll go a la carte on these kits to accommodate everyone.  But, overall, it's good to know what the end cost will be on the project.

...hey Chunger, thought you might be interested to see this guy's C12 clone...looks like he got the headbasket pretty close...

http://youtu.be/XBL4XM7UeVA

kidvybes said:
...hey Chunger, thought you might be interested to see this guy's C12 clone...looks like he got the headbasket pretty close...

Wow 5000 Quid for the RmS 12 ,  Viva Diy,  ;) ;) ;)
Dan,

chunger said:
morbleu said:
Andreas

From Europe, it may also be easier to order the capsule directly from Tim. . . I think for US customers, there may be advantages to a batch shipment to me first.  Because I think a lot of people here have already gathered various parts and know how to source things for themselves, we'll go a la carte on these kits to accommodate everyone.  But, overall, it's good to know what the end cost will be on the project.
yes you're right! so I would  just need:

AMI T14 transformer
microphone grade NOS GE6072a tube
HT-11A donor mic (full kit)
custom headbasket
PCB kit

Andreas

Great job!
I'm in for:

2x Donor body
2x Head basket
2x AMI Transformer
2x 6072 tube
2x Components if not sourced from mouser, farnell etc. Are they gonna be new or nos?

You guys have any comments on Advanced Audio capsules??
What about their transformers???
They seem reasonably priced..

Chung, you might have mentioned doing a 251 version of the pcb.. I am more interested in building a 251 than a C 12. Will the C 12 pcb be adaptable for building an M 251E? Looking at the schematic, it seems the main circuit difference is an extra cap (and different component values), though they do handle pattern switching differently. I would assume that it would be easiest to leave pattern switching on the supply if building a 251 in the Apex style body.

My U 67 body arrived, by the way--the construction quality is excellent.

Dylan

3nity said:

They are equivalent to the ones offered by Microphone Parts, and go through a similar selection process.

Dave is a die-hard CCDA fanatic, so you won't find any high-ratio transformers in his lineup. ;)  Although his BV11 type is reasonably priced and a great performer.

Dylan W said:
Chung, you might have mentioned doing a 251 version of the pcb.. I am more interested in building a 251 than a C 12. Will the C 12 pcb be adaptable for building an M 251E? Looking at the schematic, it seems the main circuit difference is an extra cap (and different component values), though they do handle pattern switching differently. I would assume that it would be easiest to leave pattern switching on the supply if building a 251 in the Apex style body.

My U 67 body arrived, by the way--the construction quality is excellent.

Dylan

The Ela M251 kit is already in development, but I'm thinking to launch one at a time and make sure we get it right.  The C12 with its fixed bias was the more complex of the 2 so we decided to hit it first.  As Matador mentioned, the stock Alctron HT-11A pcb can be modded very close to the Ela M251 configuration so the sound is attainable already at a reasonable cost.  Another reason we decided to chase the less available C12 sound.

Im in for the premium, although i already received my donor mic from you, plus i would probably stick with the alctron cable and use with caution for a while.

I'm definitely into acquiring this circuit with a custom optimized capsule from Tim Campell, that combo could be unstoppably killer!!

Matador said:
3nity said:

They are equivalent to the ones offered by Microphone Parts, and go through a similar selection process.

Dave is a die-hard CCDA fanatic, so you won't find any high-ratio transformers in his lineup. ;)  Although his BV11 type is reasonably priced and a great performer.

I was of the understanding that they come from the same factory as pelusos stuff.

The bv8 looks very similar to the smaller peluso bv8. The capsules look the same as peluso but peluso reskin/re-tension their ones.

Anyway his products are well priced and overseas shipping is cheap. As mentioned above they perform well. As do his mics.  8)

poctop said:
kidvybes said:

Wow 5000 Quid for the RmS 12 ,  Viva Diy,  ;) ;) ;)
Dan,

Well yes. . . I'm a big fan of DIY, but in all fairness, it makes sense that this guy is using parts that are compatible with original mics because his business grows from vintage mic repair.  I'm guessing FLEA parts?  (wild, wild guess), so he's gotta be starting somewhere between 700 and 1000 for just his body.  Capsule and transformer are premium and point to point hand-build at low volume. . . with the experience  and component optimization of someone who has seen many, many original mics.  I think 5K is a lot better than 12K for an original  :eek:

We're coming from the other end. . . finding the cheapest reasonable-quality body available and piggy-backing on the already high manufacture quantities of that mic.  Then, we re-use as much of the low-cost components as reasonably possible namely the PSU enclosure, jacks, and power transformer, make an honest attempt at faithfully re-producing the original amplifier circuit in a good-looking vintage-style layout that's easy to assemble.  With no compromise to the mission-critical parts, we come in under 1K.  I'm happy with that result!  Certainly it's only possible by the hard work of people like Tim and Oliver who make their parts and expertise available to the DIY community at reasonable cost.

While we're talking capsules here, let me add the edge terminated BeesNeez capsule (K12). I already ordered mine from Tim months ago (based on the well-deserved reputation for authenticity and craftmanship), but the BeesNeez could be a nice alternative for some. Ben and Veronica have been doing special offers for this here DIY family, e.g. the K7, K6 (bought one  :) ) and M7 (all still being discounted for us; I asked yesterday and Veronica confirmed.) Who knows, they might do something similar for this project.

BTW, that Beesneez K12 capsule is in the -Producer Series- Phelicity. And we all know who that microphone was named after. (!) I think it's also in the Studio Series Shelise (made in-house, though not in the super heavy duty Producer Series body). This microphone has the Cinemag 2480 tranny and a reliable, affordable and available (albeit soldered in) tube. It costs 999 and was discounted to 799 aussie dollars until 11 days ago. Growing your own is more fun plus we'll get closer to the original C12, but I was seriously tempted there.

I watched that video and assumed it was Flea, interesting business model.  For the money they want I would expect to see your capsule Tim.

Eric

Back