[FEELER] C12 Clone Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please indicate which project configuration would most interest you.

• pcb's only

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • pcb's and donor microphone

Votes: 22 11.1%
  • partial kit (pcb, electronic components, transformer)

Votes: 37 18.6%
  • partial kit with donor microphone

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • complete turn-key package

Votes: 83 41.7%

• Total voters
I'd like 2 headbaskets and 2 pcb sets and 1 donor mic.

...hey Chunger, thought you might be interested to see this guy's C12 clone...looks like he got the headbasket pretty close...
http://youtu.be/XBL4XM7UeVA

Sounds like they put plate reverb on the mic test? Cheating!

Just pulled the trigger on 200 final revisions pcb sets. . . there has been heavy chatter over the last 2 days with the factory producing my custom headbasket clarifying details of the design.  Hopefully we will see a prototype soon.

I am in for 1 pcb kit and one headbasket as well, Thanks For doing this and Great Work to you both,
Best,
Dan,

thought i posted when this thread first came out, but anyway....
interested in a mic body, C12 headbasket, pcb and Tim's capsule.  there are so many options i don't know if i am following the rules or not regarding my request.  apologies.
best,
grant

OK . . . moving ahead, I just spent a significant amount of time cross-referencing parts sources for all necessary electronic components and purchased parts for 50 complete C12 kits and 10 extra PSU kits as the PSU designed here is likely compatible with other tube microphone projects and I have about 10 spare Alctron PSU's in stock.  Component kits should become available shortly after the PCB's.  These will cost no more than individual purchase via Mouser/Farnell especially if shipping from multiple vendors is figured in.  Final pricing TBD after the dust settles, but we are on target.

I will be moving forward with AMI transformers and GE6072A tubes soon also.  All questions from the factory have been answered regarding specs for the headbasket and they are actively working on the tooling right now.  Hopefully they will be able to accomodate my request for 6 samples for beta testing. . . the headbaskets produced at quantity will be one of the wildcards in terms of timing, but I wanted to push the project forward at this time because I need to get a complete kit together as fast as possible to send to Tim Campbell for capsule optimization.

Yeah, why tarry.  ;D
Guys like you and poctop (and a couple others) really keep things moving. Thanks for the energy, guts and decisiveness. Not to mention the eye for detail.
Oh, and I haven't forgotten what Matador did for this project.

OK. . . I'm thinking to separate the project into these chunks:

Body
Headbasket
Capsule
Transformer
Tube
PCB
Electronic Parts Kit
Cable Kit

The goal for me is to have these in stock, but I'm not sure how many compete C12 kits I will be able to float.  Because I'm simultaneously coordinating a second large import shipment from China to include the new headbaskets, my working capital will be somewhat limited.  In order to make shipping and logistical costs reasonable per unit on import, I need to order as much volume as possible each shipment.  I was hoping the original import batch would keep me in stock on many of these bodies longer, but darn poctop keeps coming out with new kits and decimating inventory so I have to scramble for round 2 immediately  ;)

This means I will only be able to stock  a very limited number of complete C12 clone kits on the first run for first come, first serve web sale, but if anyone wants to guarantee the parts they need on the first batch, they can pre-pay which will obviously allow me to purchase all the required parts to cover those reservations.  If there are unforeseen delays and someone who has pre-paid wants to move forward immediately with building, I can deliver the currently available parts that have been gathered and refund the difference at any time.

I will post in the White Market thread announcing the opening of pre-orders.  PCB's and electronic component kits will be available soon.  Matador wants to do a budget-configuration build and we will use that as an excuse to verify the final revision PCB (which should work just fine since the final tweaks are pretty much cosmetic).  Once that mic is verified working, we will release PCB's for sale.

So, we have generalized pricing and wheels in motion.  The line starts here officially.  I will contact everyone who has already expressed interest on thread, but PM me to get on the reserved list.  I will invoice all reservations as soon as I have confirmed final pricing.

Back