For the L.A. diyers, this looks very interesting for sure.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

During my daily internet search I stumbled across this

HexLabMakerSpace.com

They do classes and other events and teach things like how to use a laser cutter/etcher and how to do 3d printing.  Plus you can get access packages where you get to use the equipment with guidance/help from staff.  Prices are not too bad either. I would definitely spend 20 dollars for one day use of the equipment.  With proper planning could get a lot done in a day.

Here supermarket chain  Asda has launched in store 3D printing facility and will have it through out their branches. Tesco will also start selling them soon. A local copying/printing business here started selling desktop ones.

well I am more interested in the laser engraving and cutting machines they have. I can do a day rate there for 20.00 dollars or a month for 70 dollars.  20.00 dollars is not much to have a front panel laser engraved and cut.  They also do classes on all their stuff and if you go there you get staff support throughout the day.

I am just thinking from a tech point of view I can't see a less expensive way to get panels made.... the idea is pretty cool.

There's a similar space near me. I'm planning to get a membership in the next few months to do laser engraved panels. Really cool.

I wonder if the laser they use are strong enough to cut through bud chassis or other rack mount metal chassis? Only one way to find out. going to chat them up next weekend

Pucho,

We don't always see eye to eye but I have to thank you for the heads up on this place.  I went there tonight and took a class on 3D printing, it was awesome.  They are just getting going and the best bit is that it's literally 5 minutes walk from my house.

I asked about the laser and it will engrave anodized aluminum but not cut.  They also have 3 drill presses.

Does anyone know where to buy blank anodized front panels?

Cheers,
Ruairi

There's one sort of close to me, Riverside, 15,000 sq ft facility. They say it's like a gym only for DIY'ers.
But they want gym prices. $99.00 a month on a 12 month contract. $129 a month for 6 month contract,
$149.00 a month for 3 months. I'm going to see if there's something closer and less expensive.

Winetree said:
There's one sort of close to me, Riverside, 15,000 sq ft facility. They say it's like a gym only for DIY'ers.
But they want gym prices. $99.00 a month on a 12 month contract. $129 a month for 6 month contract,
$149.00 a month for 3 months. I'm going to see if there's something closer and less expensive.

That sounds a lot bigger than the one near me which is probably 2,000 sq ft.  I would go and check yours out before making any decisions, just the people I met last night was worth the price of admission, a rag tag bunch of film, art, electronics and science freaks!

Back