Getting Rid of Iphone?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ios 4 on a 3G is about worthless and so slow.

I'm going to upgrade from a 3g to a 4 myself.

I understand the mac fannage because I do that myself, it's not intentional it's just how helpful they are to me.

I went to NC in may, used the iphone for music, entertainment etc with one device.. The only letdown was the battery life, the phone was dead after 2 flights with about 8 hours of total air time. The phone service was a letdown over in the NC area I stayed in unless I was in the downtown College areas like Chapel Hill. Honestly I've been very satisfied with the service and with the phone function in the Portland Oregon and Seattle WA area's I spend most of my time.

THe MMS is still lacking the complete packaging like most phones, but the chat like messaging function is a dream compared to how other phones work.

It's interesting how different experiences are regionally.  I have a 3GS, and I upgraded to Ios4 pretty much when it came out.  I find my phone has better reception than it did, and I'm really surprised that I could swear my battery life has improved.  It always surprises me how many background programs I have running.

The only real glitch I have seen is that because my email is running in the background, a lot of times my newest emails don't seem to come through right away-they show up in my "all" box but not my "inbox" (I'm linking to my google account.  It seems intermittent, but all said, I'm quite happy with the upgrade, and I find I use the background services alot to switch between things.

> programming on a IIc back in '82

Pretty spiffy machine? Disk drive INSIDE the machine? However, was released in April 1984??

My thumbs are still sore from maintaining the fleet of II and II+ we had.

Anyway..... iPhone 4 News

"Consumer Reports announced on Monday that it cannot recommend the iPhone 4 to potential buyers due to reception problems that are a result of the design of the handset."
"The latest update from Consumer Reports is a 180-degree change from what it advised users earlier this month."
link - Apple Insider

Mbira said:
It's interesting how different experiences are regionally.  I have a 3GS, and I upgraded to Ios4 pretty much when it came out.  I find my phone has better reception than it did, and I'm really surprised that I could swear my battery life has improved.  It always surprises me how many background programs I have running.

The only real glitch I have seen is that because my email is running in the background, a lot of times my newest emails don't seem to come through right away-they show up in my "all" box but not my "inbox" (I'm linking to my google account.  It seems intermittent, but all said, I'm quite happy with the upgrade, and I find I use the background services alot to switch between things.

I did too on my phone but we waited to do my wife's iPhone. We both have the 3G and after I upgrade I'll revert it back and give it to my son. It's very slow in comparison to her phone but the maps application works better but at a huge speed cost. we did a few tests and 90% of the time it took me longer to do anything over her 3.13 iOS.

I'm sure after that report there going to have to do some redesign the phone or offer up the $0.20 cover Apple sells for $30 for free for now. Maybe they will just talk louder that it's a software problem. Clear tape, duct tape... I use a cover anyways always.... I'm still plan on upgrading to a 4, just DIY & House broke.... hopefully they fix it up before I get there.

MartyMart said:
And here is Apple's response to the iphone 4 issue !!!

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/07/02appleletter.html

::)

If you read the Consumer reports there basically calling that statement mostly BS... You can also see the DB level drop on the meter's once they place there finger across the side gap. I dig my apple products but it's rather costly itouch if the phone don't work worth a hoot.

strangeandbouncy said:
Hi,

everyone I know has an iPhone. to  a man/woman, they have all become iPhone bores. "Look at this app" "my iphone can jump throuhg hoops" etc. Trouble is they seem to be really shit at the one thing they really ought to be good at - ie being a PHONE. I can never hear what anyone is saying to me on an iPhone. I have no trouble with any other phones or landlines. Just iPhones. - and it is amazing to be able to do all those things, but what I need is a phone and a computer, not a pale imitation of each.

I'd rather have two plastic cups and a piece of string!

ANdyP

My experience mirrors you in 2 ways:

a) a trusted friend went back to a stoneage phone and told me the Iphone was crap at just 'being a phone'. She warned me. I only got the Iphone as my contract was up for renewal and I get a 'free' phone.

b) The sound on mine is woeful - exactly as you say. Hands-free sound is really bad - no-one can hear me, so I have to ring people back on landline if I want to beaver away whilst talking.

Update: I was told by Apple the courier would come either Friday or Monday. It's now Tuesday, no courier. They've already wasted over a day of my time getting me to restore the phone with 3 different Apple advisors. I wonder how much more of my time they plan to waste?

I want out.

You don't own an Iphone - it owns you. Nasty.

BTW - The satnav on my old Nokia's ten times faster than Iphone.

Justin

> offer up the $0.20 cover Apple sells for $30 for free for now.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/16/jobs_denies_iphone_4_problems/

"Jobs & Co will provide any iPhone owner with a case, free of charge, until September 30. And since Apple can't make enough of its own Bumper cases in time, it'll also offer third-party cases — just log onto their website next week and take your pick."

Back