Good budget ribbon mics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think there is any evidence that how a ribbon is stored increases the risk of it sagging. A pre-stretched ribbon is fairly resilient, as Whoops said. Just avoid dropping and blasts of air. There are other things besides pre-stretching that professional companies look for in a leaf material to prevent sagging and breaking as well.

If you're interested in a ribbon with an adjustable tension, check out the BBC Marconi Type A.

Btw. are there really any practical means to prevent the ribbon from sagging? I've heard that you should store the ribbon mics in vertical position but wonder if that is just an urban legend... Maybe detaching the ribbons when not used would help but that isn't very practical. Maybe there could be some kind of mechanical switch which would let the ribbon loose when not used, or tight again when taken into use, plus a threaded screw for adjustments.
BBC mics - when they were ribbons, like the 4038 - stood (or sat, on tables) for years without being adjusted or 'un-sagged' ..and no-one worried about them losing their tension or needing anything done to them. They simply worked, year after year. So don't worry.

The R∅de ribbon (NTR mic) comes with a screw in the top to hold the ribbon steady during transport (during shipping from Australia, etc) to lessen the chance of it suffering from knocks and bangs, with with dainty handling you really don't need to worry. Many old little Reslos in clubs and dancehalls were knocked about repeatedly, but usually withstood everything ..except people blowing into them to test if they were working or not.

If storing a ribbon mic 'flat', then lying the mic on its edge is preferable. But as ribbons themselves are so lightweight (the ribbon itself, not old-style horseshoe magnets!) the likelihood of sagging is pretty much negligible.

I think a properly corrugated ribbon, that was pre-tensioned before installation and tensioned correctly when installed will not sag or at least not sag that much.

I haven't seen older Royer R-121 with sagging.

But Marik knowns much more about this topic, he is the expert

Hey Whoops,

That statement is correct! Even though the usual 1.5-1.8um ribbons are light enough, still they do have enough mass to result in some natural sag (even sideways). Properly and correctly corrugated and pre-conditioned ribbon will not 'remember' that deflection and if taken care and not abused should last life long. Some manufacturers indeed do insist on vertical storing. Just make your own conclusion.

Maybe there could be some kind of mechanical switch which would let the ribbon loose when not used, or tight again when taken into use, plus a threaded screw for adjustments.

That would definitely increase the cost quite a bit. Also, any adjustments should be made whether at the factory, or by a qualified tech with ability to precisely control tuning frequency.

Again, a properly manufactured ribbon should not have any problems due to storage. Especially this is true to piston corrugated ribbons, which are very robust in general. I am yet to see one single Beyer with a ribbon out of shape--most of the problems are due to Duralum oxidation. Out of hundreds AL95's we sold only one came back for repair--it was badly blown--somebody gave it a really good and powerful puff... something ribbons do not exactly enjoy)))

Best, M

Last edited:
Yes I noticed some people swap the transformer for a Lundahl... and most people commented not to border with that, it only makes it more expensive, not better.

I've also read there's a piece of foam inside the basket and removing that will improve high frequency a bit but it will also make the microphone more sensitive to airflow.

I'll just use it as is...
When I asked Igor about swapping stock transformer in his mic for lundahl he adviced me not to do it. He said that lundahl is great transformer but it’s more about matching resistance of motor and transformer to get great sounding mic.

There is a guy on YT who makes Royer style DIY mics for under $100, Dima Pavlenko:

3D Printed DIY Ribbon Microphone | Lundahl LL2912 vs Hand Made Transformers​

is the title. He lightly touches on many nuggets of information. I just 3D printed up my own personal design down at the library for free out of PLA plastic. As soon as I find (or obtain) an amorphous ring I will wind up a transformer. In my design I am using stronger N52 magnets (vs N42). I am aiming on perfecting a top pro passive ribbon mic for under $10 and elbow grease. Mic making is about matching and adjusting... to obtain the desired goal.

Has anyone tried the Sterling ST170 active (phantom powered) ribbon, which goes on sale for 100 USD sometimes?

They advertise a 20-20KHz frequency response, but a plot on their website shows it's down 5dB at 10KHz and 15dB by about 14Khz, where the plot stops.

Attachments

• Sterling-ST170-active-ribbon-microphone-frequency-response-figure-8-graph.jpg
    Sterling-ST170-active-ribbon-microphone-frequency-response-figure-8-graph.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 0
Has anyone tried the Sterling ST170 active (phantom powered) ribbon, which goes on sale for 100 USD sometimes?

They advertise a 20-20KHz frequency response, but a plot on their website shows it's down 5dB at 10KHz and 15dB by about 14Khz, where the plot stops.
Caveat: These are the only ribbons I've used and I'm no more than a hobbiest so take my opinion for what it's worth.

I have a couple of them, will likely add a couple more (as secondary overheads for a different flavor). One lives on the bottom side of my snare and the other on the hi-hat. My snare tones have never been better. I'm probably using a 70/30 mix of it and the top 57 (70% ST170).

I opened one awhile back and was pleasantly surprised to find Wima caps under the hood.

It is predictably dark and compressed but still detailed, not muddy or muffled, and easy enough to drive with any reasonable preamp.

For the price, and given GC's return policy, no reason not to try it I think.

I also have a few st170, my hands on experience with other ribbons is low as I’ve only ever worked in my own room with my own gear, but I’m happy to have the st170, the price is great and they are not a limiting factor in the outcome of any project I’ve used them on.

Howdy,

I've had great success with the Apex 460 modified by Steven Sank (Talking Dog Transducers)...for $99.00 outlay and the around $200.00 for the mod with NOS RCA ribbon material and a Cinemag tranny, I have 5 of them and they beat ANY others for about 25% of the price of the "Big Boys"...

Ribbons a GREAT, depending on the source and the proper use...Ribbons ARE a different beast!! and one has to know how to use them correctly!!!!!

Blessings

I bought some NADY long ribbon mics about 15 years ago. At that time, several other makers sold the exact same mic with different logos on them. They were very inexpensive and they sound better than many of the low-budget contenders I have compared them to. Overall, I think that the long ribbons tend to sound better than the short ones, though there could be many reasons for that which are not limited to the length of the ribbon (and, I could be wrong!). The Cascade Vin-Jet, long ribbon mic also seems to be a standout among the less expensive makes.

Latest posts

Back