• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale Group buy for Grayhill 71 Series 3 deck, 1 pole switches

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello, everyone,

I am needing to purchase quite a few Grayhill 71BF30-03B12S switches (12 position fixed, 3 deck, 1 pole, 1/4" D shaft, PCB pin, shorting) for a number of preamp builds I have coming up in a couple of months. These are the same used on most all of Neve type preamp builds which have become very hard to find in stock. I plan on buying at least 100 at the end of this month, which makes the per unit cost $37.53 each. I will only initially need 50 of them, but it is almost a $9 USD difference in price between 50 and 100 units. I wanted to check here and see if anyone would be interested in buying some of the other 50 units that I will have available. Price would be $38 a piece ($0.47 for time and gas spent going to post office), plus shipping and 2.9% for PayPal. US shipping would be about $10 and Europe would be approximately $27 from Nashville, TN, USA. I will be buying 100 units regardless and sell the excess but it won't be for this price. Lead time is estimated 12-16 weeks. May 1st will be the cutoff date. Let me know on this thread if you are interested and how many. I'll keep a list and reach to arrange payment after this group buy closes.

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited:
Hey,

Just wanted to put this out there -- if you were able to get the adjustable stop version instead of the fixed, I think these could be used in the Reddish 500 EQ project for the gain switches. The circuit requires two 71 series 2-deck 11 position shorting switches, but I created the pcb to work interchangeably with the 3-deck version as well because the availability and cost of these things fluctuates so ridiculously. However, for that project, it would need to be the adjustable stop switch so folks could set it to 11 positions. You'd obviously still be able to set to 12 for other projects. Just a thought.

The switches you're looking at are 3 deck, 1 pole per deck, right?

EDIT: For anyone purchasing these switches for use in the Reddish 500 EQ, make sure you pay attention to Potato Cakes' post immediately below this (post #3) and the link that he provides. These switches will work great with the project, but you will need to do the minor "surgery" to the switch to set it to 11 positions. Or, as suggested in post #4, you could solder a connection between pins 11 and 12 on each deck in case you ever accidentally turned it to that final position.

Last edited:
Correct. 3 deck, 1 pole. I thought about the adjustable version which I did for the hollow shaft Grayhills I bought years ago, but keeping up with the individual stickers and stop pins is a bit of a pain (quantities of 100 are shipped with pins and stickers separate from the switches). You can change the stop on these without too much trouble:

https://groupdiy.com/threads/adjusting-the-non-adjustable-grayhill-switches.70952/

I do this when I cannot find adjustable Grayhill switches in the desired form factor.

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited:
Also, you could just use the 12 position switches as is and know to not use the 12th position. Or you could solder pins 11 and 12 together to avoid the possibility of undesirable effect such as oscillation or the output being muted.

Last edited:
I am extending the group buy order till 5/6. I have been traveling constantly the past couple of weeks so it will delay me getting these ordered. This Monday I will have a day off and place the order then.

Thanks!

Paul

Back