[GROUP BUY] G9 in 51X format (CLOSED, ALL STOCK GONE)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll add you guys to the list.

Update: mr zayance is working on prototype pcbs for me, and has also helped a ton in spotting potential problems for home etchers. Many thanks to him. In the coming weeks i'll be prototyping and making any needed adjustments before manufacturing.

I thoght I missed this. I'm in for 1 maybe 2 if not too late. Is price still 18?

Prototype pcbs are on the way from zayance's house to mine. Parts on the way from everywhere else, then the madness begins. Once a successful prototype is put through it's paces i'll know more. I don't want to shout out an eta because it will only jinx it and cause delays. That's a scientific fact with proven data to back it up...

Just a quick update, prototype is a success, although I'm not getting the efficiency if hoped for out of the hv converter. It may have to do with layout or just parts selection but similar circuits have been proven to run at around 86% efficiency, where mine is about 73%.

Given that most 51x racks aren't going to be loaded up with both 16v and 24v modules all running at max draw, this efficiency problem might not even be a problem, what do you guys think?

I could use some feedback if anyone has any.

Also, I'm considering designing a front panel "pcb" much like igors designs have used, 8th inch fr4 with holes drilled and silkscreen. What it's three interest there? Three manufacturer has already told me that they can do finish quality silkscreen. I was thinking black on white, but maybe that's just my taste...

Sounds great Gemini, I like the idea of an "Igor style" kit with the mounting hardware and front panel, is that what you meant? Black on white would look good too. As far as the efficiency it might be worth looking at further. I'm probably not the only one that was planning on loading several of these suckers up in the rack.  Looking forward to when we can order these and it's great news that your proto is working.

gemini86 said:
I could use some feedback if anyone has any.

Also, I'm considering designing a front panel "pcb" much like igors designs have used, 8th inch fr4 with holes drilled and silkscreen. What it's three interest there? Three manufacturer has already told me that they can do finish quality silkscreen. I was thinking black on white, but maybe that's just my taste...

Well I had thought about a full pcb and metalwork kit, but this would be a lot of work(time), and also take quite a bit of investment(money), and I'm not sure there needs to be another kit guy on the block. With Jeff's blank bracket, it would be very easy to drill the front using a template and a hand drill.

I'm going to try another layout with the converter design I currently have, if the results aren't what they need to be, I'm going to go with a flyback converter.

Hi Rodney and all others,

Any new news about the project? I'm in for 2pcs if it is not too late...

_
Kurtsa

No news yet.

I've got another project on the bench that I have to get out the door ASAP, but I'm waiting for parts again...I'll try to do some work today to assess the situation with the HV converter.

BTW; does anyone know where to get 10:1 switching transformers, off the shelf? If I need to go the flyback route, I'll need to find a source for this, so I figured start looking now, just in case.

Quick update on progress:

Having problems with the boost converter right now. My previous design worked, but did not have the needed efficiency due to poor layout and a controller that just wasn't up to the task, so I've built a new design using a more modern converter and a better layout, but I'm currently trying to get it running, skip over to the lab to read up and provide input if you can.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=48455.0

Once this is sorted out, production will commence, I will do a final count to see who is still interested after such a long wait.

Back