GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI,

Can we use 500uA or 200uA meters with GSSL?
Here is a link:

http://export.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?sku=7758197

Regards
Dinesh

Dinesh,

You can't link to Farnell sessions - they time out and reset.

And yes, any DC-current reading meter under 1mA will work - but you will need to change the resistor in series with the meter accordingly.

This has been asked and answered many times before - try reading through the GSSL meta (and possibly also this thread).

Jakob E.

-My clone is working fine but i experience a strange thing when turning the relese to 0.6 . It seems to down the threhsold from few db ( and this only occur at 0.6 release )

Any idea ?

Hi there guys just wanted to ask a quick question, I may be doing something silly to cause this or I'll just have to work my way through to sort out the problem.

I'm having a great time putting together the ssl comp. I finally got it all wired up and went and plugged in the unit. I was just starting to check for the correct voltage when the 10r in the PSU section of the board nearest the left vca burnt out :(

there .6watt resistors so I don't think it that.

Just thought I'd see if this is something simple or not.

I have tried searching the boards and turned up nothing so I'm thinking its something stupid on my end.

Gotta love teething problems.

Thanks in advance for the help guys

Cheer...

I´m using a tele (headphone style) connector for my sidechain input.

Is it correct that the Tip is Send and Return the Barrel?

As my female chassies connector is all plastic i would then hook it up to chassies ground as well, right?

Is it important to ground both input, output and sidechain to chassies and power ground?

Anyone?

Better safe than sorry..! /thanks /Toby

I always like to measure the power transformer secondary (AC) before connecting.

But I'd suspect something after the regulator caused it to fry.

Cheers thanks greg I will report back to ya tomara, let you know how I got on.

The thing is my office so will get cracking on it first thing in the morning...

If the 10R resistors burns, there probably is a short to ground somewhere between these and the 12V regulators - 78L12/79L12..

If the short is after the regulators, the regulator nearly always protects by cutting off.

So check for shorts at the lines feeding the 12V regulators.

Jakob E.

Well I found the problem. The wrong value regulator was in place. My friend soldered a 79L12 in where it should have been an 78L12. So once I replaced it it stopped the resistor from burning out.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will keep ya's posted on my progress :)

cheers...

I´m using a tele (headphone style) connector for my sidechain input.

Is it correct that the Tip is Send and Return the Barrel?

As my female chassies connector is all plastic i would then hook it up to chassies ground as well, right?

Is it important to ground both input, output and sidechain to chassies and power ground?

Better safe than sorry..! /thanks /Toby

Hi again,

my GSSL works great but for one problem:

In order for the levels to be right I have to set up my sound card to put out -10db and input +4db, since the GSSL, even in bypass mode, amplifies the output signal. When feeding the unit +4db the input of the sound card (also at 4db) overloads at +6db.

My units has the mods done suggested for the 2181B. I also put in Greg's sidechain board (works great, but didn't solve the issue). There are no transformers in there, nor anything else different to Jakob's design.

This should be a simple change of resistors, shouldn't it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance and my thanks and gratitude to Jakob for an awesome project!

[quote author="living sounds"]
In order for the levels to be right I have to set up my sound card to put out -10db and input +4db, since the GSSL, even in bypass mode, amplifies the output signal. When feeding the unit +4db the input of the sound card (also at 4db) overloads at +6db. [/quote]
No one helped me out with this issue... but I'm willing to pass on the info I learned. The 2 resistors right above the VCA's will adjust the balanced/unbalanced gain of your unit. You probably have 15K resistors in there. Swap them out for 27K resistors and your gain will be right.

[quote author="dustbro"]

No one helped me out with this issue... but I'm willing to pass on the info I learned. The 2 resistors right above the VCA's will adjust the balanced/unbalanced gain of your unit. You probably have 15K resistors in there. Swap them out for 27K resistors and your gain will be right.[/quote]

I'm afraid you didn't do enough reading. :green:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=1379

Hi Guys
Just finished my GSSL ( first diy project ) every thing works as it should, only the threshold act strange.
For example: if i turn the threshold pot counter-clockwise it get lowered immediately, but if turn the threshold clockwise it take some seconds to rise.
What i ve to look for?
I've mounted the 47K resistor between the + pot leg and the control pcb.
Anything works ok ( ratio attack release makeup bypass )
I've still to mount the meter bypass led, and the sidechain board from Greg.
Any suggestion?
Please I need Help!

For example: if i turn the threshold pot counter-clockwise it get lowered immediately, but if turn the threshold clockwise it take some seconds to rise.

This is completely as expected, I don't see the problem? What you hear is the release time of the compressor...??

Jakob E.

Latest posts

Back