GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thankz Radiance,

When I get some free time this weekend I'm gonna try that..... Took a break on it for awhile as i was getting about to the point of selling the project off on the "black market". I was getting discouraged!!

~J~

It doesn't seem to be a control wiring thing, they all seem to be correct. That was the first thing I thought of when hearing the distortion. The meter thing is very strange however! Any ideas about that?

Maybe the pot or bypass switch is wired incorrectly. It's definitely something in the sidechain. Check doide orientation and resistor values is the sidechain.

Hi again,

my GSSL sounds great and is working beautifully - but:

The input (in bypass mode as well as in compression mode) distorts until I attenuate the incoming signal ca. 6,5 db (working at +4db). I'm using 2181LB and have implemented all the mods suggested on Matt's page (100K to 120K, jumpered 10K, removed 68R, changed 3K9 to 5K1, removed 10K, changed 1M to 220K, changed 47K to 120K).

I also noticed that even at the lowest threshold setting the unit does not nearly compress as much as the Waves SSL plugin.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Gregor

[quote author="kryckmeister"]My SSL sounds normal when bypassed. When it's activated it's distorting everything very disgustingly, but apart from that it has some weird behavior.

When threshold is brought down, almost to the bottom and down(maximum compression) my Behringer meter starts hitting the maximum value like 60bpm at 2:1, and strikes harder when ratio is increased to 4:1 and 10:1.

Any ideas of what to start looking for and where?[/quote][quote author="Greg"]Maybe the pot or bypass switch is wired incorrectly. It's definitely something in the sidechain. Check doide orientation and resistor values is the sidechain.[/quote]

I think the resistor in the top left corner of the small PCB (the 1M2) is actually a 12.5 Ohm instead. A gold line was misread for a yellow one, could it be so simple?

..often (several times before in this thread), serious distortion when "in" comes from forgetting the small jumper on the control board, just above the cables from main board..

* I just moved this post, as it got stuck on the bottom of the 2nd to last page...

I'm currently experiencing the following problem with my gssl:

The GR meter is showing compression (20ma in voltage) w/ no input signal (and compressor engaged). I am showing the following readings (again with no input signal):

Point "C": -.21 VDC

TL074 Pin 8: -.46 VDC (might be .046... i forget)

TL074 Pin 7: No DC, and showing no DC on either pin of the electro cap right next to it. Also no DC on TL074 pins 5,6.

Changing the Attack/Release knobs will change these voltages, and the meter position changes as well. Otherwise, the compressor does pass signal and compress.

Jakob says at the beginning of this thread that if you see DC at point "C" with no input that it is either a leaky cap or HF oscillation. I am not sure how to check for HF oscillation (and I don't have a scope :cry: ).

I will continue to check for solder issues, but wondering if these symptoms point to something else.

I really appreciate everyone's help. I'm also learning a shit ton.

Thanks!

Tim

Thanks Jakob,

The diode on the control board is oriented correctly. I should have mentioned that this problem did not occur until I accidentally shorted my +12v rail. I fixed the +12v, and the regulator is still working, but I may have damaged other parts with the short. Maybe that will help narrow down the problem?

Tim

[quote author="kryckmeister"][quote author="kryckmeister"]My SSL sounds normal when bypassed. When it's activated it's distorting everything very disgustingly, but apart from that it has some weird behavior.

When threshold is brought down, almost to the bottom and down(maximum compression) my Behringer meter starts hitting the maximum value like 60bpm at 2:1, and strikes harder when ratio is increased to 4:1 and 10:1.

Any ideas of what to start looking for and where?[/quote][quote author="Greg"]Maybe the pot or bypass switch is wired incorrectly. It's definitely something in the sidechain. Check doide orientation and resistor values is the sidechain.[/quote]

I think the resistor in the top left corner of the small PCB (the 1M2) is actually a 12.5 Ohm instead. A gold line was misread for a yellow one, could it be so simple?[/quote]

When using my Ohm meter the 1M8 Ohm resistor on the top left corner of the Sidechain card reads 700kOhm. The resistor itself was perfect when I tested it before I put it on the board. Any ideas if this is the root to my problem?

[quote author="kryckmeister"]
When using my Ohm meter the 1M8 Ohm resistor on the top left corner of the Sidechain card reads 700kOhm. The resistor itself was perfect when I tested it before I put it on the board. Any ideas if this is the root to my problem?[/quote]
Unfortunately, you cant test a component within a circuit. It is reacting to all of the other parts connected to it. The only way to properly test is by removing 1 leg from the circuit.

UP

please !!! it's very urgent !
I get very little lows ( almost no bass )
and I need the comp for an important recording session

thx

Latest posts

Back