GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built 2 GSSL's each with different capacitors. One turned out warmer and one a little brighter. Both sounded excellent tho. I believe they were identical except each one had a different brand of .1 uf caps.

.1 uf caps???
ah ok. For some reason I had the impression is the .22uF caps that affect the audio... ???

btw, does anyone know what TX stands for? I'm talking about the 100 R* resistors mentioned on the board..

Last edited:
warpie said:
.1 uf caps???
ah ok. For some reason I had the impression is the .22uF caps that affect the audio... ???

btw, does anyone know what TX stands for? I'm talking about the 100 R* resistors mentioned on the board..
If you fit .22uF caps=220nF, this might/will affect the audio. (would result in a HPF @33Hz. This is designed for 22uF caps with HPF @0.33Hz).
TX stands for an optional output transformer.

Yes sorry I meant 22uF... :-\

Ok I see, so in my case (no output transformers) I should leave it as is (1ooR)..

thanks for your help guys :)

Last edited:
ok sorry to bother again.

I've got 10, 22, 33 and 100pF ceramics with tolerance -20% to 80% ( ??? ???)

are they suitable for this circuit??

Last edited:
In fact they are:

50Vdc working voltage and -20% to +80% tolerance

Last edited:
Noise Floor

My gssl has -71db hiss and very little 60hz on right channel. and -65db more 60hz than hiss on the left channel.

this is my problem.
what's going on with my left channel? changed the cables, reviewed and remade some soldering.... same thing... any ideas? Please help me, I'm going crazy! 

Here is the link for the right stuff using 2180's etc.

http://diy.fischerworks.com/gssl_vca.shtml

John

John, I'm aware of this link but it doesn't say anything regarding the capacitors.
All I really need to know before I start soldering is if the capacitor tolerance (for ceramics 10, 22, 33 and 100pF) is important to the circuit.
I believe a -20% to +80% tolerance is quite high and I wouldn't like to 'mess' my circuit up...

Last edited:
warpie said:
John, I'm aware of this link but it doesn't say anything regarding the capacitors.
All I really need to know before I start soldering is if the capacitor tolerance (for ceramics 10, 22, 33 and 100pF) is important to the circuit.
I believe a -20% to +80% tolerance is quite high and I wouldn't like to 'mess' my circuit up...

thanks
mike

Where do you get this numbers from? Cant't belive _any_ electronic part has a tolerance of 80%. 20% on ceramics is normal, I also soldered these into my comp...

I'm not really sure how to read the table from the link you provided but it seems to me, that the second column maybe show the price for 1+ class caps...? Because they are more expensive than a whole 10 pack of a mix of all classes?
I looked up again the caps I bought for the GSSL, they have either +/- 1% or +/-2 percent tolerance, sorry for the wrong information given before...

osterchrisi,

the site states:

"Miniature general purpose ceramic capacitors.
50Vdc working voltage and -20% to +80% tolerance"

where did you get the caps from?

Last edited:
Quick question.

Im adding the expat audio turbo board to my gssl. Am i supposed to leave pin 4 of the that2180 disconnected/bent out of the way on the turbo board?

Thanks.

Hi,

Can someone tell me if I can use 200mA/ 100V diodes instead of 100mA?

Last edited:
ok, sice noone replied I used these diodes ::)

now here's another (newbie) question..

I have used a 10way ribbon wire to connect the main PCB with the control board and as far as I read this is fine.
Now what happens with the wire for the bypass switch, threshold pot and make up pot?
Can I use the same ribbon wire or do I need a 'better' wire (probably an audio wire like the one for connecting the XLRs)?

Last edited:
I used this kinda wire. I guess a pic is worth a bunch of words:

gsslback.JPG

The grey stuff is foil shielded. This is an old pic from a year ago or so. I have the super sidechain board in their also now.

Latest posts

Back