GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in the meantime Thanks for your quick replies...:)

...The toroidal datasheet says:

Pri :white
Sec Yel 0V Green 15V - Yel 0V Green 15V

I dont know if i need to wire those togheter, they are connected on the PCB though. but I dont know really if that's ok.:)

Purusha: regarding shielded cables..how whould i connect them from the PCB. I didnt think i needed shielded for this!

regarding meter..i will let you know..I am still far from calibration for now..:)
I am using That 2180 LB. I have both 3 of 2180LA as well but i though i use the LB for now just in case burn them..eheh

Shield goes between 0 GND and XLR 1, red goes between + and XLR 2, yellow goes between - and XLR 3, you can solder some bridges between all IN and OUT XLR 1 pins and from there to the GND star.

red and yellow can be different color, depends on the cable manufacturer...

[quote author="Purusha"] you can solder some bridges between all IN and OUT XLR 1 pins and from there to the GND star.

[/quote]

Depending on the jacks you use this may not always be ok. I used 1/4" metal Neutrik trs jacks on the ins and outs and thanks to Roger, I found that they were grounding as well as the wire connected to the star ground and was causing a loop. I won't be buying this type of jack in the future, but for now, I had to get some of those spikey start washers to get a really good ground from the jacks to the chassis and remove the wire going to star.

Matt

Shielded cables aren't necessary for the GSSL. I've built 6 units without shielded cables and no hum problems. Let me take a closer look at the picture and see if I spot anything.

Thanks everyone...

...unfortunately i dont think it's a matter of cables or connectors..at least for the amount of noise i am hearing..
..even when everything was just outside the case i had exactly the same noise..
I suppose once this is fixed i can have a closer look at the other details..

i wonder if it could be something with the PSU section...

...Greg .. i hope you see something..:)

ciao..!

just an update..

I made a probe with te wire with the condenser/ resistor following an old post by gyraf.
I get a big hum (from the probe amplifier) touching the + of the rectifier. Is that normal?
Maybe it's a obvious question for most of you, but i really dont know..:))..and i am trying to find out where the problem is.

Thanks again..

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it in the 100 pages... I know that I need to cut the 16 pin connector for the vcas, but does anyone have a good way of doing so? I already broke one in half. :(

[quote author="rbaker"]I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it in the 100 pages... I know that I need to cut the 16 pin connector for the vcas, but does anyone have a good way of doing so? I already broke one in half. :([/quote]

I used the olfa razer :thumb:

Hello again everybody...

..I have uploaded an audio sample of what i get out of my GSSL (with input shorted).
Maybe this will help more undestand what's wrong...or maybe not..:))

http://www.unbearablerecordings.co.uk/ssl/SSL_HUM.wav

Thanks...

Greg..

a positive update!

I have moved the trasformer and the W04 from the middle of the PCB to the edge of the PCB, near the 1000uF caps , on the other connector (the one that was supposed to be right..:)))
The noise has come down a lot , almost completely!..
....so . it seems that this was the main issue...is that normal?..
is there something else i should do maybe?...
in the meantime i will try and finish the case

...thanks ..

Excellent news !!! I have always used that connector by the filter caps. You must have been creating a ground loop some kind of way. It's difficult to know exactly. I didn't see anything obvious from the photo, that's why I didn't reply.

Also, when racking, try to keep wires as short and as tidy as possible. Good work !!! :thumb:

....I will try and follow you advice..:)..

Thanks...do you think I should i use plastic spacers?..I havent found any around here...

ciao!

DQ

Did you put all your jumpers near the big electrolytics? Maybe this cosed the hum problem.

Greg,

I have a stupid question to ask you. What would happen if instead of bi-polar electrolytic caps one would use the normal two way WIMA caps? Let's say instead of all 100uF and 22uF caps. I don't know about their size but in theory, would the G-SSL still work like it should? Someone just told me that the bi-polar caps sound bad compared to the two way capacitors. Maybe he was just talking nonsense, I don't know... :grin:

It'd work in theory, but try and find a 100uF polyester/polypro cap. It'll be the size of a mouse and cost as much as a house (well not really). But lytics can cram high capacitance into small spaces... They're often use to block DC (which is what alot of the lytics are doing in the GSSL).

Regarding sound, I wouldn't say one is always better. They're different, though. Capacitors in the signal path definitely do affect the sound (good or bad). Try it out and see, that's the best info I can give.

Regarding the GSSL, I wouldn't bother.

Hi,

I Already talk about my SSL trouble but Maybe you could tell me what to check??

When I set the threshold at max, so no compression and Make up at 0, My SSL when active has a lower volume than when SSL is bypass.
is it normal, I don't think so....

A suggestion?

I'll try to put a sample tomorrow, I have near 6 dB of difference...

[quote author="Greg"]It'd work in theory, but try and find a 100uF polyester/polypro cap. It'll be the size of a mouse and cost as much as a house (well not really). But lytics can cram high capacitance into small spaces... They're often use to block DC (which is what alot of the lytics are doing in the GSSL).

Regarding sound, I wouldn't say one is always better. They're different, though. Capacitors in the signal path definitely do affect the sound (good or bad). Try it out and see, that's the best info I can give.

Regarding the GSSL, I wouldn't bother.[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation Greg. I will just put some Wimas and Nichicons like you did.

Can you tell me where do you order the Nichicons in USA? I have a friend from USA who will visit me in July so he could bring a few.

Mouser or Digikey... The exact part numbers are in my parts list. Find that thread I started that has all my parts list. It's in there.

Latest posts

Back