GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

I have already asked this question, don't know if it's the right place but I need some advice od Good sound engineers..

I like to use my SSL comp for mastering but I'am hesitate the place where I have to put the SSL ine the sidechain.

EQ PLUGS -> C4-.... -> SSL COMP

or

SSL COMP -> EQ -> C4....

What do you think about that??

thanks

I will try to use this sidechain:

EQs->Multiband compressor->SSL->limiter.

BUt I'am afraid to compress a lot...

I'am worried too, because I will have to Re-digitalize the signal for use my SSL.

Hi all,
just a quick question...I'm changing my ssl bypass from original version to hardwire bypass with relays, but i'm not sure where (or how) to get 12v DC for bypass relay?
I tried several solutions but i'm getting hum...I made a relay board using a test board (i had that one at home and it was faster ot do it;i saw people doing it that way). I think RoogerFoote is not using extra regulators on his boards. I tried to use an extra rectifire using just one secondary and 12v regulator to take it down to 12v...Bypass worked always but i keep getting hum. There is no hum in bypassed mode... I'm missing here something. Just a wiring problem, ground loops?
thanks
well i think i got it...there is still some hum with make up gain all the way up

Hello,

I'm debugging my SSL clone and I need some suggestions.
Here's what I have done so far:
When I put a 1KHz 1Vptp sine at the input, I measure a 1KHz 20Vptp square wave at the output. Moving the make-up gain pot, threshold pot, or bypass switch doesn't make a difference.
After several hours of IC swapping and measuring, I came to the conclusion the sidechain is causing the trouble. I discovered I could make a nice clean sine wave, instead of a square wave, appear at the output by removing the TLO74. I already tried replacing the TLO74, and I also measured the diodes, but it didn't solve the problem. Just to be sure I'm going to order some more TLO74's because I only had one spare left.
I don't know how this rectfier works exactly , so could anyone explain this to me. I'm especially interested to hear what the signal should look like on the different nodes of the rectifier.
I also welcome other suggestions.

Cheers!
R

sorry to add to the length of this thread, i have all ready read it about 10 times through!!!

2 questions

1. i think my -15v rail is sorted to ground...It measures proper voltage but is reads shorted with the continuity checker on my dmm??
There are no soldering shorts and I have tried replacing most of the components associated with the rail...no change?

2. There is no ground path on part of the control pcb (relase and make-up as well as led and all of the .47u caps....etc) even when not connected to the main PCB? with power i measure 10.6v dc where it should lead to ground for example the LED negative terminal (oh yeah it lights up if i short it to ground??)
any thoughts... thanks in advance!

Regarding your first question... measure actual resistance. If something really low like 0.2ohm shows up, that's a dead short. I don't like the continuity beepers in general.

thanks greg...
1. both rails read about 110kohms to chassis ground
2. there was a a broken pad between Control 0 and the off from bypass.

So...I'm really sorry if this is really beginner of me, but I'm still trying to find the correct way to ground my ssl. I'm done with everything but this...I've seen a lot of discussion on how to do it---but nothing that ever said which was was the best. I understand I might need to make some changes (ie: trial and error) but how should I start? The ground connector on my iec has nothing connected to it at this point.

I'm a little afraid to plug it in...this is pretty new to me. :?

Ground on IEC goes directly to chassis !!! Safety !

Also ground from pin 1's on the input XLRs to the chassis.

Measure from the rails to ground to make sure there aren't any shorts.

Then fire her up ! :thumb:

I need help building the SSL clone. I just ordered the PCB's from Denmark and finished them minus the 3 2150 units I am ordering. I need to know where to buy wires, where to hook up wires, rack, PSU etc. Can anyone help a new DIYer?

Thanks,
Adam
:guinness:

Hi Adam,

Read through this thread - and through the SSL-clone threads referenced to by the "Meta-Meta" thread.

And read the page at Gyraf/diy.

And last, read the thread "META - Electronics 101 - By CJ"

That should do.

Jakob E.

Latest posts

Back