GSSL SuperSC board

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been curious to try this filter as a standalone audio path filter - put a few in a chassis to patch in as inserts.  My console inserts are unbalanced anyway, so I wouldn't need to worry about debalancing/balancing.  Has anyone tried this?
Obviously the 47K output resistor would need be changed prob to 100R or thereabouts, and I would drop the external send and return.  If anyone's done this, are there any other changes that need to be made to make it work?

regularjohn said:
I've been curious to try this filter as a standalone audio path filter - put a few in a chassis to patch in as inserts.  My console inserts are unbalanced anyway, so I wouldn't need to worry about debalancing/balancing.  Has anyone tried this?
Obviously the 47K output resistor would need be changed prob to 100R or thereabouts, and I would drop the external send and return.  If anyone's done this, are there any other changes that need to be made to make it work?
Should work as described. Input and feedback resistor of the 1st summing stage would be same value or you'll miss 6dB and 'TM' and 'TL' inverts signal phase.

cool!  yeah, i would probably wouldn't use the "T" filters anyway.  I was thinking about only using the normal filters so that I can do a voice of god type thing for kick and bass guitar, boosting the low on the channel eq, and then using this filter to get rid of all the sub-bass muck.

regularjohn said:
cool!  yeah, i would probably wouldn't use the "T" filters anyway.  I was thinking about only using the normal filters so that I can do a voice of god type thing for kick and bass guitar, boosting the low on the channel eq, and then using this filter to get rid of all the sub-bass muck.
Something like this 10-270Hz variable HPF with same -6dB slope might be less expensive and space consuming ;)

Ok ok ok...
I start to understand :D you basically use the "com off on pota potb" section of the first SSC for the Compressor in/out and the same section on the second SSC for the filter in/out!!!
This is clear now! I'll try immediatly and I'll let you know.

Thank you very much!

By the way, I've added 10db of gain to my unit following your suggestion! It works!!! ;D

Alessio

Harpo said:
Something like this 10-270Hz variable HPF with same -6dB slope might be less expensive and space consuming ;)

Interesting!  What would the feedback values be?
I was planning on designing my own pcb anyway with just the components I need for the filter values I want.  This might be better since I can fine tune the frequency...not to mention a lot less components to buy, and a much smaller pcb to make!

regularjohn said:
Harpo said:

Interesting!  What would the feedback values be?
I was planning on designing my own pcb anyway with just the components I need for the filter values I want.  This might be better since I can fine tune the frequency...not to mention a lot less components to buy, and a much smaller pcb to make!
feedback? Simple non-inverting unity gain buffers. 1st.stage might not be needed with low impedance source, capable to drive 1k8 load, but NE5532 are cheap, availiable and unity gain stable. 1st.stage assumes the required biasing resistor already present from the signal feeding stage. If not, a maybe 47k between opamp pin3 and 0V seems safe for an unknown connected source and if this resistor is in parallel to an already fitted one, this won't rise the hpf from the sending stage by much.

Hi Harpo,
I've followed your draw... All the switches and LEDs are working, the makeup is working. When is in bypass the makeup is disabled. I've check all the voltages on the main PCB on the TURBO and on the 2 SSC everything is OK. I've insert all the opamp in the right places and right orientations.
Now this is what is happening:
When I turn on the unit the audio pass through but when I engage the compressor the threshold is not working and the meter doesn't move (NO COMPRESSION!!!) when I move the ATTACK to POS 1 the meter jump up (the same for the other positions of the attack!)... What the hell is happening???
I can't understand... The control PCB seems fine...
I've measured DC (with signal in) at PIN1 of the TL074 and I dont have nothing... Something strange...

Any idea where could be the problem?

Thank you,
Alessio

Wait a second...
I'm using rotary switches (for ratio, attack and release) with soldering connections (not pcb mount). When I solder the switches should I solder all the pins or just 1 pole and the throws I need?

P.S.
TL072 and TL074 seem OK!

You only need to solder the pins that have copper traces going to their corresponding solder pads.
1 pole and 6 pins on the attack
1 pole and 5 pins on the release
1 pole and 3 pins on the ratio (or 2 poles and 6 pins if you have turbo)

2 poles and 6 pins for the ratio??? I mean the TURBO is connected to the same pole and the same pins as the control boards. Is just all double wires. Right?

Hi guys
a question
GSSL SSC + 2 + turbo
I want to use rotary swich for SSC
I want to use EAO fot turbo bypass

in this configuration for 2 SSC I need 2 relays?
Thanks

ilfungo said:
Hi guys
a question
GSSL SSC + 2 + turbo
I want to use rotary swich for SSC
I want to use EAO fot turbo bypass

in this configuration for 2 SSC I need 2 relays?
Thanks
EAO ??? 2 relays ??? maybe, maybe not.
Please be a little more specific in your requests
(and updating your profile with your location might better help others to help you).

Your single rotary switch will need 2 poles for two filterboards. Number of rotary throw positions needed differs, depending on used board or wanted functions (various cutoff-freq., external, bypass, TM, TL, ...). You might not need or want all offered functions, so you could get away with a 2x6 lorlin type switch, else get the double pole rotary switch that matches your amount of wanted functions plan.

The EAO short form cataloge for their switches program alone is 188 pages. (momentary, latching, type of illumination if any, number of poles/throws, ...). Which type is yours ? LED or inscand.type illumination kit ? for what voltage ?

Relays for a specific board (there are some different boards for a sidechainfilter around this forum) or mounted externaly on a piece of perfboard? (number of relais poles, relais pinout, supply voltage, ...). Only bypassing the turbo function in your config will need a DPDT switching function, done by relais or a switch alone.

Hello Harpo,

I don't mean to "steal" this thread from the original post, but since someone mentioned your name and expertise in the GSSL Help thread,  I am kindly asking for your help:

I am finishing a basic GSSL with just the turbo board, no SSC.  I have an EAO MA illuminated, switch, 2NC + 2NO, (01-262.025).  If I want to use the bypass and knowing I don't have a SSC,  how would I wire it?  have a diagram?

I need :  Bypass,  disable makeup gain, light the lamp (where should i take the power for the lamp?)

And if you feel generous.....  I also want to use an EAO for Power on/off.  This one is straight forward, but the lamp, where can I take the voltage needed from?

Thanks kindly for the help!!

Regards,

Lud

Harpo hello and sorry for the confusion ....
2 x SSC board buy from Gustav I do not know what REV is
2 x Relay 12V
Turbo board from Expat Audio
SSC 2 deck rotary switch 1 pole position 8
Switch with LED light with 3 contacts (do not know what I bought in a store in my city)

colombian said:
I am finishing a basic GSSL with just the turbo board, no SSC.  I have an EAO MA illuminated, switch, 2NC + 2NO, (01-262.025).  If I want to use the bypass and knowing I don't have a SSC,  how would I wire it?  have a diagram?
I need :  Bypass,  disable makeup gain, light the lamp (where should i take the power for the lamp?)
Welcome Lud,

for GSSL bypass you'll need 2 switch poles for the differing voltage potentials. The lamp needs another pole for a 3rd different voltage potential, so obviously one pole would be missing from your EAO switch alone. Easiest solution might be a single DPDT relais for the bypass switching, switching function nearly as shown in Jakobs schematic. (cleanest solution probably would be bypassing the complete GSSL from XLR-in to XLR-out, but this would require 4 DPDT relais for a balanced stereo config).
For a maybe Omron-G5V-2-H1-DC24 or Multicomp-HRS2H-S-DC24V relais, connect relais pin4 to 'COM', pin6 to 'ON', pin8 to 'OFF', link pin8 to pin9, pin11 to the right side of the 'link' (further going to wiper of makeup-pot) on control pcb, pin13 to the left side of the 'link' on control pcb.
Activating this relais thru your EAO switch by connecting relais pin1 with 0V (or to the already linked pins 8/9). Connect relais pin16 to a throw position of your switch (pin1 for default activated or pin3 for default bypassed). Link the switch poles pin2 and 4 and take this junction to the raw +DC before the +15V regulator (easiest soldering spot seems to be the unused hole on GSSL main pcb between 7815 pin1 and the not mounted mid side rectifier). Add a flyback diode, maybe 1N400x, between relais pins 1/16, anode side to pin1.
Illumination with your whatever voltage (6,12,24,28,30,36,48,60V) base T 5.5 incandescent lamp might be done by connecting one lamp pin with 0V and the other lamp pin with either switch throw pin1 or pin3, depending on wanted displaying status (activated/bypassed) with a maybe needed voltage dropping resistor in between (a 24V lamp or greater obviously doesn't need a dropping resistor when fed from a ~22V raw DC source, and a 48V or 60V lamp will probably never show up to a noticable degree). Resistor in ohms, if needed and ignoring voltage drop in rectifier, would be [(transformer secondary AC voltage * root(2) - lamp voltage) / lamp current in A]. For a 12V 50mA lamp and 15VAC transformer secondary this would be (15V*1.414 - 12V)/0.05A = 184.2 ohm. If required, resistor rating would be at least [(transformer secondary AC voltage * root(2) - lamp voltage) * lamp current in A] = 0.46W. I'd pick a 200R/1W part for these example values.
Just look up the datasheets for your switch or prementioned relais types to get the idea (weblinks already posted some pages back, or google them up).

...  I also want to use an EAO for Power on/off.  This one is straight forward, but the lamp, where can I take the voltage needed from?
Maybe from same raw DC spot as previously described, with maybe needed voltage dropping resistor in between. Make sure, these lamp contacts never get in touch with your switched mains AC primary voltage. The LED with 1k resistor in series on control pcb probably could be left out. YMMV.

Good luck

Guys I need help
I'm trying to connect to my SSC board GSSL with this configuration:
2 deck 8 positions for SSC frequency
I want to use the third position for SSC off
I want this to bypass the compressor with a separate switch
this is because I bought this house and I respect the written
sorry for my english I hope I was clear

Attachments

• SSL-NEW WHITE.jpg
    SSL-NEW WHITE.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 99