hacking a HDD recorder to use the ADC/DAC only?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svart

Ok, I've been secretly on a quest to figure out what to do next with my studio.

I'll give you some background first.

My mx2424 works and sounds like boiled moose ass.

Audio coming out of it sounds lifeless and rather dull. Recording straight to a computer sound card, bypassing the tascam, sounds much much better.

The mx2424 uses the AKM chips from the previous generation, the akm5392 and it's DAC counterpart. I'm sure that this box should sound much better as even the Alesis HD24 sounds better from what I have heard of it.

So I've been looking for options and PT is out. I simply cannot afford 8k for a card and software and then add another 6-8k for ADDA converter boxes. The fairlight stuff seemed cool until they released their prices which are even more outrageous than Digidesign's. Same for Radar. outrageous prices for a computer running beos and some converters that are the same as what Alesis sells for 1/5th the price.

I need at least 24 simultanious 24 bit analog I/O and no digital I/Os.

So that leaves me with these criteria to be met:

I MUST have software control of the tracks in some form or another, one reason why I cannot use the HD24xr. If it had the software control like the tascam I would have bought it a long time ago.

Must have the ability to use removable drives and/or a drive bay.

MUST NOT BE MADE BY TASCAM. Their support sucks as do their products.

Cheap.

so far I have these options:

3 modded ada8000s to the adat/firewire bridge with the wavefront ICs using some kind of multitrack software to edit.

or

Figuring out a way to hack my tascam's I/O for better sound, much like the mods for the ada8000.

or

I have heard some people say that they use the converters in the hd24xr as a frontend for their software. BUT I have not been able to find a single instance of anyone actually explaining how they do this.

Lets discuss how we can hack the HDD recorders.

[quote author="Svart"]I MUST have software control of the tracks in some form or another, one reason why I cannot use the HD24xr. If it had the software control like the tascam I would have bought it a long time ago.[/quote]What control do you need, and for what purpose?

Big tick marked up for the HD24

MUST NOT BE MADE BY TASCAM.
ditto

I have heard some people say that they use the converters in the hd24xr as a frontend for their software. BUT I have not been able to find a single instance of anyone actually explaining how they do this.
Easy. Connect up the analogue inputs, push the "All Input" button on the HD24 and take the digitised data out of the ADAT lightpipes into your computer ADAT interface.

i was looking at that ADAT interface as a possibility. seems that some people have actually done this for A/D but I cannot find any info on D/A back out of the hd24.

that could seriously be 24channels of ADDA for less than 2k..

Svart,

I've been toying with the idea (there's multiple threads on this here at groupdiy) for a long time :)

It's possible to make an 8in 8out card "relatively" simply...

Front End CCT --- AD Converter -- ADAT Transmitter
OPA1632 --- PCM4204 -- AL1401A

arghh.. i really must get my adat card finished :(
I wish I could take 2 weeks off and just get it done.

Doing it this way - you could probably build 24in 24out for around $400 including cases and power supplies.

You'd then need something like an M-Audio Profire Lightpipe. (another $500)

I have the original cards out of my Alesis HD24 since I upgraded to the XR versions. I've always wondered about how I could wire them up to make a nice 24 in/out D/A/D converter. Any ideas would be welcome. I haven't been able to get a schematic for the HD24 yet, which makes it kind of hard.

Cheers,
--
Don

Boiled moose ass? Nice metaphor.

Question: Have you tried clocking the moose ass with a high-quality external clock? I've heard it make remarkable differences on a lot of gear.

Peace,
Paul

is there any new information on this?
I have an HD24 that kinda fizzled and won't power up anymore.  I don't need the hdd option, but would love to use the ad/da balanced TRS I/O as stand-alone into my mac, via the adat lightpipes and a lightbridge, if possible.

Svart said:
My mx2424 works and sounds like boiled moose ass.
As long as you don't have to endure the smell... :)
I MUST have software control of the tracks in some form or another, one reason why I cannot use the HD24xr.  If it had the software control like the tascam I would have bought it a long time ago.
So why don't you use a computer wth a DAW software? Studio One is an excellent example, but Reaper also, as well as the usual suspects, CuBase, Logic, DP...
One more argument in favour of a DAW. USB3 disks rock.
MUST NOT BE MADE BY TASCAM.  Their support sucks as do their products.
I understand your frustration, but you may miss out a number of excellent products. I own a DM4800 since 6 years now and never had a single problem with it. It's a superb 32 ch converter with 96x96 matrix. The mixer comes free.
Support may benefit of the re-launch of the forum.
http://www.tascamforums.com/index.php?sid=c8402f7a5d3934c33fc2726e31a77d3d 
3 modded ada8000s to the adat/firewire bridge with the wavefront ICs using some kind of multitrack software to edit. 
I find the ADAT to be a bottleneck, limited to Single Speed (44.1/48k). That is so 1990's  ;)
Figuring out a way to hack my tascam's I/O for better sound, much like the mods for the ada8000.
That's very dubious. You can't polish a moose ass. In practice, all these hacks have very little operational value. They're satisfying for those who love to tinker and mainly those who sell them mod kits.
  I have heard some people say that they use the converters in the hd24xr as a frontend for their software.
I wouldn't buy 3x HD24XR's just for using their older generation converters. There are not many 24ch converters, but the Orion 32 certainly deserves attention.

abbey road d enfer said:
Svart said:
I find the ADAT to be a bottleneck, limited to Single Speed (44.1/48k). That is so 1990's  ;)

No big deal, considering this whole thread is so 7 years ago...

JD 'ex-parrot' B.

Back