Hammond Box measurement

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

This is an end view of the Hammond 1455T1201 enclosure:

1455T1201RED.png
As you can see it is an extrusion with a slide in section at the bottom that I have circled in red. What I want to do is use the slide in part as the top but replace it with a plain sheet of aluminium which I can have drilled and engraved for the controls and legend I need. What I cannot do is work out the correct width a and thickness for the replacement aluminium panel. I have attached the 2D drawing provided by Hammond but I am not sure if that is sufficient to work out what I need. On the attached drawing is an email from where you can request a 3D CAD file of the enclosure which presumably is sufficient to answer the question. However, my 3D CAD skills are close to zero so can someone look at this for me?

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• 1455T1201.zip
    266.8 KB
Spec sheet says minimum thickness of aluminum is 1.5mm....unless that's just the extrusion part...still, ..I'd probably guess that would be it since it's almost looking like that section would be 2mm maybe a bit less.... But I realize that's not scientific....or helpful if not able to get it and go try out some sample pieces....

Last edited:
Spec sheet says minimum thickness of aluminum is 1.5mm....unless that's just the extrusion part...still, ..I'd probably guess that would be it since it's almost looking like that section would be 2mm maybe a bit less.... But I realize that's not scientific....or helpful if not able to get it and go try out some sample pieces....
I have bought a couple and the slide in part does measure 1.5mm thick. I am more concerned about the width of the replacement slide in sheet. I don't want it to flap about but I want to be confident it will be a snug fit without the risk of jamming.

Cheers

Ian

Sorry to hear about your arthritis, that must really suck for a DIY guy :(

I only use handtools, and metalwork is a @#$%$#!! doing it that way, I get my results but it often takes a ridicilous amount of energy and effort to get it right.

I am now saving for a smallish colomb drill / router combo that is not computer controlled but fully manual.

Can you get callipers in those holes to measure ?

You could make a mock up of the slide in sheet from something easy to cut like tag board or some kind of plastic sheet. Then measure.

There are calipers available for around $20. Well worth it.

Back