The Perennial Project Enclosure Problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe not quite what you need but these can be useful for a variety of projects. You can get different sizes with different number of cutouts. And then the Neutrik D panels are available for all kinds of analog, digital, power connections.

https://prospeakerparts.com/product...3-3-4-x-1-5-8-pre-punched-for-3-d-series-xlrs
I had completely forgotten about those. I still have a couple of long thin ones left over from an ancient meter bridge project. Thanks for reminding me.

Cheers

ian

3D printing can be OK, for rough prototyping, and internal parts, for shipping product it leaves much to be desired, with the Fred Flintstone surfaces, unknown finished product material properties. Over hyped.
can be true, but not necessarily so. i can make pretty flawless boxes in terms of surface finish. you can do even better if you use a resin printer instead of traditional FDM. looks injection molded essentially. also you dont even need to have the printer, JLC will do it in either fdm, or resin with any material for extremely cheap, to a high degree of accuracy. newer filaments like PA-CF are extremely durable and look quite nice when used on a well calibrated machine

It's certainly feasible, but there are size limitations (typically large desktop machines are 300x300x300mm).
Another issue is time. I recently printed an open box 200x130x60mm. It took the best of 12 hours.
If the box has a roof, it needs supports that add significantly to the printing time.
Here's an example of a box that also took about 12 hours to print.
See the deformations.View attachment 135897
all of these issues, including the warping are quite easily avoided with a little forethought

Latest posts

Back