Hammond Box measurement

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

This is an end view of the Hammond 1455T1201 enclosure:

1455T1201RED.png
As you can see it is an extrusion with a slide in section at the bottom that I have circled in red. What I want to do is use the slide in part as the top but replace it with a plain sheet of aluminium which I can have drilled and engraved for the controls and legend I need. What I cannot do is work out the correct width a and thickness for the replacement aluminium panel. I have attached the 2D drawing provided by Hammond but I am not sure if that is sufficient to work out what I need. On the attached drawing is an email from where you can request a 3D CAD file of the enclosure which presumably is sufficient to answer the question. However, my 3D CAD skills are close to zero so can someone look at this for me?

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• 1455T1201.zip
    266.8 KB
Spec sheet says minimum thickness of aluminum is 1.5mm....unless that's just the extrusion part...still, ..I'd probably guess that would be it since it's almost looking like that section would be 2mm maybe a bit less.... But I realize that's not scientific....or helpful if not able to get it and go try out some sample pieces....

Last edited:
Spec sheet says minimum thickness of aluminum is 1.5mm....unless that's just the extrusion part...still, ..I'd probably guess that would be it since it's almost looking like that section would be 2mm maybe a bit less.... But I realize that's not scientific....or helpful if not able to get it and go try out some sample pieces....
I have bought a couple and the slide in part does measure 1.5mm thick. I am more concerned about the width of the replacement slide in sheet. I don't want it to flap about but I want to be confident it will be a snug fit without the risk of jamming.

Cheers

Ian

Sorry to hear about your arthritis, that must really suck for a DIY guy :(

I only use handtools, and metalwork is a @#$%$#!! doing it that way, I get my results but it often takes a ridicilous amount of energy and effort to get it right.

I am now saving for a smallish colomb drill / router combo that is not computer controlled but fully manual.

Can you get callipers in those holes to measure ?

You could make a mock up of the slide in sheet from something easy to cut like tag board or some kind of plastic sheet. Then measure.

There are calipers available for around $20. Well worth it.

I have one of those boxes and measured 152.5 mm width.

Excellent. Thank you
Be aware that the screws' threaded the sheet. I don't remember if it was threaded when brand new.
This is a very good point. I had forgotten about the fixing screws. I probably need to add a small cutout in each corner to accommodate the screws or maybe they can be used to hold the panel.

Cheers

Ian

I can confirm that the thickness of the material used in the Hammond 'slot in' panel is around 1.5mm (I don't have a micrometer -- sorry!).
It does fit very loosely into the extruded slot in the case...
The main reason it doesn't flap about is because the centre section of the extruded 'slot in' panel is raised to the level of the main casing, and is 'grabbed' by the edges of the plastic end pieces. That stops any sloppy movement , which would certainly happen with a 1.5mm 'unsupported' panel.

EDIT: further to totoxraymond's comment above, I can confirm that the screw threads do appear to 'skim' the edge of the panel, enough to remove the black anodisng. The 'free' movement of the slot in panel is much reduced by the pressure from the screws -- possibly more than the panel being 'grabbed' by the plastic endpieces?

It does look is if the width of the panel is quite critical -- too wide and the screws won't enter the slot. To narrow and it will all 'flop about'.

It's also quite easy to strip the thread that the screws cut into the extruded holes......

Closest 'non-metallic' item I've found to try out a 'fake' slot in panel - with pretty much the same 1.5mm thickness - is FR4 STRIPBOARD

Last edited:
This is an end view of the Hammond 1455T1201 enclosure:

However, my 3D CAD skills are close to zero so can someone look at this for me?
All you had to do is ask!!!.....
---------------------------------------------------------------- 152.4mm ----------------------------------------------------------------
1728670093547.png
1728673705084.png
1728673258538.png

1728673443228.png

You're welcome!!!

/

Attachments

• HAMMOND -- 1455T1201BK - Aluminum Extrusion Enclosure.pdf
    35.7 KB
@rogs. Excellent work. So it looks as though I can use 1.5mm aluminium and, if I get the width right, it will not slop about because it will be held both by the plastic end pieces and their fixing screws.

Cheers

Ian

All you had to do is ask!!!.....

You're welcome!!!

/
My first thought was to PM you but I found I have so many PMs I could not find our last conversation onto which to tack on this question. So I put it on the main board and lettered it with clues about needing someone to interpret their 3D CAD drawings because I knew sooner of later you would step up. ;)

THANKS!

Can you confirm the thickness of the part of the slide in extrusion is 1.5mm where it protrudes into the main extrusion as in this pic:

1728674218536.png

Cheers

Ian

There is one other small issue. The plastic surround is designed to fit the original removable extrusion. If I replace it with a plain sheet it will not longer mate properly with the surround. This may or may not be a problem.

Cheers

Ian

My first thought was to PM you but I found I have so many PMs I could not find our last conversation onto which to tack on this question. So I put it on the main board and lettered it with clues about needing someone to interpret their 3D CAD drawings because I knew sooner of later you would step up. ;)

THANKS!

Can you confirm the thickness of the part of the slide in extrusion is 1.5mm where it protrudes into the main extrusion as in this pic:

View attachment 138109

Cheers

Ian
If I understand you correctly:

1728676294052.png
1728676013525.png

1728676638239.png

/

Last edited:
There is one other small issue. The plastic surround is designed to fit the original removable extrusion. If I replace it with a plain sheet it will not longer mate properly with the surround. This may or may not be a problem.

Cheers

Ian
Visually it may look a little odd, if only becasue the replacement panel will be recessed below the level of the box edge... but only on the 'slide in' panel side.
As that's going to have holes and text etc.. I don't think it will look out of place.
As I mentioned earlier, the screws need to just 'nip' the edges of the slide in panel.
In truth, they probably contribute more to holding the panel firmly than the plastic endpieces do!
You may need to consider a couple of rubber - or neoprene? - shims - which can be inserted into the gap between the top edge of the endpieces and the recessed slid in panel. Should help a bit with the stability - and might even look better than a gap between the endpieces and the recessed panel ?...

Back