Haufe T14/1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melodeath00

I believe I have read that you can't buy transformers directly from Haufe. However, can anyone tell me if Haufe's current T14/1 transformer is the same as it used to be? The T14/1 is the only transformer that was ever in the Telefunken ELA M 251. It is different from the Hiller T14, which is the one Oliver makes a reproduction of. Thanks!

Melodeath00 said:
I believe I have read that you can't buy transformers directly from Haufe. However, can anyone tell me if Haufe's current T14/1 transformer is the same as it used to be? The T14/1 is the only transformer that was ever in the Telefunken ELA M 251. It is different from the Hiller T14, which is the one Oliver makes a reproduction of. Thanks!

I understand Oliver models his T14 after the Hiller because he thinks it sounds the best. Also read what Klaus Heyne has to say about Hiller and Haufe T14 - recall he described the Haufe as "anemic" in comparison. That Klaus is a colorful guy....

o3misha said:
Contact to Andreas Grosser. If you need his  e-mail, - let me know via PM.
Thank you!

AusTex64 said:
Melodeath00 said:

I understand Oliver models his T14 after the Hiller because he thinks it sounds the best. Also read what Klaus Heyne has to say about Hiller and Haufe T14 - recall he described the Haufe as "anemic" in comparison. That Klaus is a colorful guy....
Haha he sure is. I'm not sure which quote you're referring to from Klaus specifically, but Klaus has also said that the T14/1 is the only tranny that has been in the 251, and he tried the Hiller in a 251 once and the magic was gone. I think he described it as "slow" and "dark" compared to the original combination. I'm happy with my T14 for my C12, but when I build a 251, I will want the Haufe if at all possible for authenticity.

Hi,

At least up to a few months back Haufe will sell these trafos directly.

Careful though, cause they quoted me 120 euros for one trafo, when in fact the trafos were 43 euro each, with 120 euro minimum order...

Regards,

Matt

Any Klaus saying about "anemic" transformer - utter nonsense . This is a completely senseless and amateur judgment is not based on real technical parameters of the  transformer. There are  specific parameters , that describe the properties of the transformer. These properties may be suitable or not for microphone or circuit . Period.
Repeatedly read similar Klaus's arguments regarding  other electronic components of the microphone( tube, biasing ). This engineer does not operate technical data , only his own auditory sensations. It smacks of quackery and amateurism . I apologize in advance for the harshness , but I just boiling .

o3misha said:
Any Klaus saying about "anemic" transformer - utter nonsense . This is a completely senseless and amateur judgment is not based on real technical parameters of the  transformer. There are  specific parameters , that describe the properties of the transformer. These properties may be suitable or not for microphone or circuit . Period.
Repeatedly read similar Klaus's arguments regarding  other electronic components of the microphone( tube, biasing ). This engineer does not operate technical data , only his own auditory sensations. It smacks of quackery and amateurism . I apologize in advance for the harshness , but I just boiling .
Point taken. He is well-respected, however, for the very fact that his judgements are based solely on his listening sessions, and not based on technical specs. Sometimes it takes someone outside a discipline to advance it (ie since he is not an EE, to my knowledge anyway).

I can only say he has a venerable following and is world-renowned for the sounds he is able to glean from his modifications, and his microphones (Brauner VH1 KHE). I don't know him but I do respect his thoughts. As I respect yours; it's always hard to really know what people really mean through words alone.

Peace,

Mike

I do not see any connection between a famous person and the ability to reason correctly from a technical perspective. When I want to explain the difference in the sound of electronic components, even I resort to the technical data that are objective and are the same for all people. It is only right and fair way. Incidentally, for a famous person at all strange -only rely on their feelings and give them as truth.
Thats why I prefer to ask any question to Andreas Grosser. I always recieve full , technically based answer.
Peace

Hi o3misha, we must agree to disagree.

From my perspective, in the end we are talking about tools to create music - artistic tools. In that sense, it is only right that an artist describe how they feel when using a tool and not be expected to resort to technical explanations. This of course does not invalidate technical explanations at all; merely it is a matter of right-brain thinking and descriptions vs left-brain. The ultimately technically perfect microphone that did not easily elicit emotion and inspire artists while they used it would not be a tool that would be sought after. This is only my opinion.

Klaus never claimed to be a technical expert; only one who uses his ears to make a judgment. He is very vocal about his opinion, but at the end of the day it is just that, his opinion. However, I can certainly see how annoying it can be to a highly technical guy to hear someone wax poetic in descriptions of technical things. I respect your viewpoint.

But here's the rub. This technical tool, this microphone, has one sole purpose: to help musicians make music. As such, in the end, I don't care if the mic is stuffed with swiss cheese; if I sing through it and feel the thrill of "touching the music" as I use it, all the tech data in the world doesn't matter. This is not meant to flame your post; just to make the point that all the technicalities of mic specs don't add up to great instruments alone.

On the other hand, I have spoken many times with another great mic tech, Andreas Grosser (terrific gentleman!!). Before I began my journey to make a U47 clone I consulted with him. He told me to use an alternative tube and layout instead of a VF14M. As you may know, Klaus many times has stated on his forum that unless you have an "original" VF14M, an original transformer, capsule, etc, you cannot create the sound of a U47.

So I said to Andreas, but won't these compromises make my clone sound different than a real U47? His response, paraphrased since it's been awhile: As long as the tube is within operating specs, it will have a similar sound. So here is another kind of entry into greatness, a technical angle, which seems to match yours. I took Andreas' advice by the way.

As long as we get to greatness with our microphones and help artists capture the soul of music, I guess it really doesn't matter how we arrive at that point does it?

I hope I don't sound argumentative; it's not my intention. I respect your thoughts completely.

Mike

Understand,please, any changes in the sound of the microphone associated with the technical concepts. Not understanding the technical basis for the processes in the microphone, we will never be able to make the sound you want. It is these mistakes and unwillingness to listen to well-educated people prevent many recognize that the true cause of the uniqueness of old transformers. This is very similar to the difference between an educated doctor and village healer and shaman. You can not become a surgeon and to help people, not knowing anatomy. I respect all opinions, but I always need to know why.

o3misha said:
Understand,please, any changes in the sound of the microphone associated with the technical concepts. Not understanding the technical basis for the processes in the microphone, we will never be able to make the sound you want. It is these mistakes and unwillingness to listen to well-educated people prevent many recognize that the true cause of the uniqueness of old transformers. This is very similar to the difference between an educated doctor and village healer and shaman. You can not become a surgeon and to help people, not knowing anatomy. I respect all opinions, but I always need to know why.
Yes, makes perfect sense. I respect your viewpoint on this, and I too like to know why. Although I cannot always describe technically the reasons why I like one mic over another. I am certain you have far greater technical understanding of circuit topologies and engineering than I do. Thanks for sharing.

I agree, cheers for the discussion!

If anyone else was interested in the Haufe, maybe we could go in on a bigger order

I built a elam 251 two years ago and tried haufe, ami and max kircher's.
Haufe is not very good (bass response)
ami is just fine
Max's is the best sounding

e.oelberg said:
I built a elam 251 two years ago and tried haufe, ami and max kircher's.
Haufe is not very good (bass response)
ami is just fine
Max's is the best sounding

Is the bass response lacking?

Who is Max Kircher? That's not ioaudio Max, is it? I didn't think he made a T14

Strange, to be honest. I have an AMI exactly the same feeling as you do from Haufe. Moreover, in comparison with the original, Haufe closer.

Back