Headphone advice (for mixing)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, I built this:
http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/meier_prj.htm

It used to be on the headwise page. I actually had a thread here about it where PRR spanked me for my oscillating mess... Voltage rails were poorly wired and I didn't use bypass caps either.

Anyway I will try to find my finished schematics, which included a balanced input stage, power supply, etc.

It's great for positioning mics for classical recording cause I feel it gives you a bit of that sitting in front of speakers sound.

Insomniaclown said:
I really like head phones for checking bass. I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH m50's that I use for tracking and bass checking. I like them quite a bit. The sound is non fatiguing, and they are comfy.
I have to agree. I have the Beyerdynamics, Roland, Fostex also and I have always found the ATH-M(40 and 50) series a good balance of comfort, sound and affordability. I found the 770 a little too bass heavy for me. The T40, and the Roland Studio not as clear or defined as the AT overall. They are all great headphones I think, but I just preferred the AT.

My experience with crossfeed circuits is that they rob bass and LF punch.

The SPL phonitor is impressive but mostly as a headphone amp, I either preferred crossfeed off, or on with moderate angle and a lot of the centre control... that centre control is key as it brings the lf and punch back... without it, crossfeed seems to smear everything up and not always in a 100% useful way. SPL seem to have upped the flexibility of that control a good way.

If in doubt, try the redline monitor plugin first and see if you like how the simulated crossfeed hrtf stuff sounds...

-T

Vote for ATH-M50's.

But I think it's a personal choice like monitors. If the monitoring makes music sound the way you like your mixes will sound better. Thtat's why I can't mix with my AKG 701's. As accurate they are, they're just too bass shy for my taste and I tend to compensate and make bass heavy mixes.

pasarski said:
As accurate they are, they're just too bass shy for my taste and I tend to compensate and make bass heavy mixes.

Yep - its why mixing is such a black art despite numerous people holding the view that there are absolute rules for mixing. There are rules, but some of the most famous producers and engineers have been known to do the exact opposite of some of those rules on a constant basis. This is because the particular technique just works for them. Sound is a very personal and subjective thing.  Our subconcious will naturally push the bass up or otherwise if that's the way we like to hear it.  Our brain and ears play by their own rules.

I have several pairs, Grado, Sony, AKG and others, but imho, the Shure 440's are amazing.  I'm thinking of buying a pair of 840's, but am wondering how much better could they be?

gemini86 said:
I use HPs for mixing quite a bit also, but I've trained my ear to them by listening to all my favorite music (artists that I'm trying to emulate, mix-wise) and that seems to help in getting the panning and vocals closer, then a check on the monitors the next day after work let's me do some minor tweaking.

Unfortunately my HP amp came down with a bug... :( I'll have to build a gyraf HP amp, but try out that cross-feed dealeo, if somebody doesn't mind recommending a schematic. :)

+1 for the audio technica's.
I asked the same question here last year, and I opted for the Audio Technicas based on someones reccomendation, and I have not regreted the descision.
really comfy, not fatiguing, they are detailed and smooth at the same time.

Heheh, I also love working at night, only I have found open-back headphones are better / more neutral sounding for mixing, while closed back are better for tracking (obviously due to the isolation they achieve). I find closed-back headphones a little too scooped in the mids (or "bass-and-treble-hyped") in comparison. Well, whatever the case, I never mix something completely on the headphones, I revisit the next morning on my monitors for 1 or 2 hours because when I play it back on the monitors I always get disappointed, but I can actually get it fixed quite easily... In the long run, I'd say it has improved my mixes and the time it takes for a mix to complete.

I use Grados when I use headphones.  I used to use some Sonys but they finally just got beat up too bad.  I got the grados because I was at someones house recording and mixed a song with them, and since had many compliments on the mix so they seemed to be giving me what I was looking for...

However, nowdays I really try and just use nearfields because the stereo separation gets emphasized too much with headphones IMHO

I prefer to mix with headphones & do find it hard to get speakers to sound as good they kinda flatter the mix.....I may check out some of your recomendations....thanks

Latest posts

Back