headphone amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
> a different method of setting bias...by using an O'scope rather than calculations...

Sure, for DIY or boutique-build.

In mass production, and especially in ICs, you don't have time to put a scope on every unit. And IC currents tend to vary from wafer to wafer.

You need a self-bias scheme.

In an "inefficient" Class A amp, the minimum idle current is half the peak output current. The maximum current is the size of the heatsink or power supply. In most headphone cases, the power supply isn't a real concern. So your minimum current is say 125mA (1 watt in 32 ohms), your target current is maybe 180mA to cover wafer baking variation, and routine maximum current might be 250mA. If a 250mA part is fed 30V and put on a 20 deg C/Watt heatsink, it will run VERY HOT, too hot. But it is easy to have temp-sensing on a chip. So if temperature hits 100 deg C (which is tolerable for modern silicon if it is steady, not varying like a Class B design), turn-down the bias current to hold the termperature. Simple thermostat, except proportional not on/off like home-heat thermostats.

Yes, if used with a 50 deg C/Watt heatsink, or a big sink in 50 deg C ambient, maximum allowable dissipation will be like 1.5 watts. On +/-15V supply, bias current will have to turn-down to 50mA. It won't be full Class A with loads under 100 ohms. In 32 ohms, above 150mW (pretty loud) it will work as Class AB. But that is fine for most uses. "Class A" power amps are more a fad than an essential.

We could have a Bias pin and program the desired operating point. But I'd like to see a simple 5-pin TO220 package, which can't spare a pin for bias.

Oh, and logically the bias current should vary with supply voltage. Use a resistor across the rails instead of an FET. At +/-5V we only need about 45mA for class A into 32 ohms. This also gives "cheap box" makers the option to simply reduce rail voltage if they don't want to feed it the current and power needed for full-power operation.

[quote author="Kev"]I have actually forgotten what the T is ...[/quote]Kev, Looky Here! IMO, both D and T sacrifice quality for efficiency because of the o/p filter.
[quote author="PRR"]Sure, for DIY or boutique-build.[/quote]Actually for audio power amps, this can be determined experimentally and then applied to production quantities with remarkable accuracy using 1% resistors IF you know how to pick your devices...esp. in regard to the device used for bias tracking (hint: a diode isn't what you are looking for.) But I may be clouding the issue here because I'm talking about biasing A/B ckts. Class A is different, but as I said before...aluminum is cheep.

HTH!
Charlie

ahhh, i love bringing old threads back to life...

PRR -- I was talking to some of our FAE's about headphone amps, as a customer of mine was hoping to build one with some NE5532's etc. As an alternative, he recommended one of these:

tpa6120a2 - http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tpa6120a2.html

just wanted your thoughts on the device, as it looks quite nice for building a headphone distribution amp... should give a bit more power too running on ±15V as well.

Do you think it's enough?

Cheers

R

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"][quote author="Kev"]I have actually forgotten what the T is ...[/quote]Kev, Looky Here! IMO, both D and T sacrifice quality for efficiency because of the o/p filter.

Charlie[/quote]

Arrggh Tr*path...don't get me started :mad:

But we now return to the regular portion of our program.

H*rman shipped millions of speakers for computers in which I merely interrupted the signal chain to the power amp and tapped off the outputs of a bog-standard BA4560 with some small build-out resistors. No complaints, but clearly no expectations from a bundled low-end speaker either. Most of the computer-oriented headphones were about 32-40 ohms, so we didn't manage much power---otoh, that reassured management that were astute enough to suppose somebody might sue for hearing loss.

The convenience factor was high though: you have the op amps sitting at the half-supply, and run the signal through 5 pin minijacks with normally closed contacts to the tip and ring jack contacts. Run the sleeve to ground through a good-sized 'lytic which you keep charged through a 10k resistor to the half-supply, to avoid big pops when the user plugs in the phones. You automatically interrupt the audio going to the power amp and get the phones signal upon plug-in.

These are the kinds of considerations that make sense when you are building millions of things, but happily don't have much to do with the concerns of this group.

It is a severe constraint for everybody that has to work at low voltage to have the two sides of the headphones common though---otherwise one could do bridge-mode amps and quadruple the power. My big AKG K1000 phones have separate wires but they are hardly representative!

On the subject of output resistances to the phones, a pretty interesting approach would be to put some fairly small current-sensing resistors in the circuit and use a combination of voltage and current feedback to synthesize a given output resistance. With sufficient available voltage and current from the amp this would tend to equalize the signals into diverse load impedances. It is still tough to span the gap between 600 ohm and 8 ohm phones.

Once again this approach would be easier if phones were four-wire, since the current sensing could be done in the low side return rather than flying around on the output hot connections.

To PRR and others about class D or not in iPods: the hard drive doesn't work continuously, so the power drain is not near as bad as one might think. However I believe most of the pods use class AB amps still. One part that doesn't sound too bad is the little LX1701 from M*crosemi, which would work nicely if one could make the four-wire connection. I used this in a portable speaker running off of four AAA's, and although I didn't care much for the consensus EQ (way too much hf boost imo to compensate for the off-axis response), I couldn't fault the amp chips themselves. The part has the advantage of surviving 4 fresh alkaline batteries' voltage, unlike the similar ones from N*tional, and having low EMI due to controlled rise/fall times. It helps if your antenna gain is low as the best efficiencies are achieved with "filterless" operation with attendant large electrical fields.

[quote author="bcarso"]
[/quote]

Hey Brad, what is wrong with Tripath?
I'm seriously considering to buy an evaluation board based on the TA0105 chip and build an amp.
http://www.tripath.com/pb0105A.htm
http://www.tripath.com/downloads/RB-TA0105.pdf
I read lots of good things about expensive audiophile amps based on this board. Do you have any experience with this specific board? Please share your thoughts.

chrissugar

[quote author="chrissugar"][quote author="bcarso"]
[/quote]

Hey Brad, what is wrong with Tripath?
I'm seriously considering to buy an evaluation board based on the TA0105 chip and build an amp.
http://www.tripath.com/pb0105A.htm
http://www.tripath.com/downloads/RB-TA0105.pdf
I read lots of good things about expensive audiophile amps based on this board. Do you have any experience with this specific board? Please share your thoughts.

chrissugar[/quote]

I have no specific experience with that board, although note the specs on noise and signal-to-noise. Also look at the efficiency, at what impedances it's achieved, and compare to alternatives. Think about EMI, which is difficult to assess.

I admire them for their dogged persistence, and I am impressed by the patience shown by their investors. Further comments might be actionable so I will fall silent at this point, considering that this is a public forum.

Thank you Brad.
I know about the noise but from what I read in listening tests there were no serious complains about it.

chrissugar

> I was talking to some of our FAE's about headphone amps, as a customer of mine was hoping to build one with some NE5532's etc. As an alternative, he recommended one of these: tpa6120a2

That chip and its series (basically DSL drivers) is well regarded. It is Class AB but the notch does not show. For an alternate point of view see Headwize thread.

> for building a headphone distribution amp...

Maybe a classroom system. Not nearly enough current or power dissipation to do foldback to a rock band, unless you go to one-per-ear. For bulk distribution you use speaker amplifiers.

> speakers for computers... tapped off the outputs of a bog-standard BA4560 with some small build-out resistors.

This is THE way it is done, from $99 Bee-ringer up to some Famous Mixer Brands. 4560 has the ooomph, and doesn't suck.

> No complaints

Any hint of power voltage and build-out resistor? As you say, this is not a cutting-edge application, but "no complaints" is always a good Guide For Design. (Also for the Tripath evaluation...)

> evaluation board based on the TA0105 chip

They seem to advise a newer chip for new designs.

> what is wrong with Tripath?

I knew nothing about them. At a glance, I see them posting efficiency of 79% at high power. A Class B amp will do 78% on paper. It isn't horribly efficient, though if you compare a realistic Class AB efficiency against the switcher you may get half the heatsinking. Maybe even better if you must meet the stupid FTC test, which is worse than either full-power or normal speech/music use.

Distortion spectrum looks highish, but "different" enough that it may take a generation of listening to hear its flaws.

> Think about EMI, which is difficult to assess.

If I read that correctly, it is "spread spectrum" from ~500KHz-1500KHZ and varies with input signal. For testing, you have to go looking for the garbage, since you can't know where it will show up. My real-world fear would be that Murphy's Law would make interference come out at the worst possible frequency for that time and place. But as I say, I've never seen one of these.

@bcarso --> I'll be glad to say some for you. I think Trip@th is a poor excuse for an amp topology. I admire the fact that they have made a nice little step towards better efficiency (if we really need that in higher powered full-range amps?) and their method of operation is an interesting thought...

However, when manufacturer has to make excuses for the results from typical measurement methods, I become suspicious very quickly. Trip@th amps are still expensive and as far as my experience goes, very unforgiving in their protection. You might be able to get one to pass an RFI/EMI test using a steady state input signal, but I'd guess that all bets are off if you fed it a real music signal.

But don't let me put too many words in your mouth... :green:

@PRR --> IIRC my bear-ringer headphone amp (HA4000) has discrete outputs. But you are correct, many mixers use the 4560... You can always increase the available current by using small value series resistors and then summing the o/p of two opamps too!

Charlie

quote from PRR reply: "> speakers for computers... tapped off the outputs of a bog-standard BA4560 with some small build-out resistors.

This is THE way it is done, from $99 Bee-ringer up to some Famous Mixer Brands. 4560 has the ooomph, and doesn't suck.

> No complaints

Any hint of power voltage and build-out resistor? As you say, this is not a cutting-edge application, but "no complaints" is always a good Guide For Design. "

I ran across one of the very schematics yesterday for a low-end speaker from a few years back sold to Comp*q, and it had a 12VAC wallwart with terrible regulation, giving about 19V d.c. at low load after fw rectification and filtering. The half-supply tracked this, so one got a potential voltage swing of about 16V p-p until the op amp current-limited. The series R's were 22 ohms. I think the 4560 current-limited at about 25-30mA typically. For a bit more current the 4580 can be used. So for very much drive voltage the amp clipped badly, but even with 32 ohm phones 30mA peak yields >14mW, which is plenty loud for most people in a moderately quiet environment.

The op amp dissipation could be high, but I know of no case where the op amp failed.

On the Tr*path stuff, I have more issues with past flakey business behavior I saw than the technical side. But the approach does involve some very high-frequency switching with consequent inefficiency. Spread-spectrum is to some extent cheating too---just because the current testing standards don't catch all the energy because it is 'on-the-fly" doesn't mean that it isn't pollution.

PRR's remark about it maybe taking a generation of listening to hear its [possible] flaws is astute. I haven't had the patience for that as yet, but other switchmode amps often do not hold up well in the long run even though they seem o.k. at first.

Back