Hello from Southern California!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merkley193

Semi long time lurker on the forum, so it’s about time to finally say hi!

I’ve built quite a few kits from Capi & hairball
And finally have worked up the nerve to source all the parts and do it all.

I see lots recommend something simple like the ssl comp for a first build. But of course I’m drawn to something like an La2a or Pultec. Maybe even an nite EQ if I can get my hands on a pcb.

Any opinions or you’re crazy don’t do those first are welcome haha :)

Definitely do not dive into a tube project until you are confident you can remain safe with high voltages.

Cheers

Ian
Thanks for the reply Ian!

I’m not completely confident only because I’m not positive what components to look out for and what can be discharged and what cannot. I can’t seem to get a straight answer on this so it always leaves me worried. Having said that it much different than working on guitar amps?

Thanks for the reply Ian!

I’m not completely confident only because I’m not positive what components to look out for and what can be discharged and what cannot. I can’t seem to get a straight answer on this so it always leaves me worried. Having said that it much different than working on guitar amps?
In many ways it is very similar to or even easier than working on (tube) guitar amps so if you are comfortable with guitar amps then I guess you are ready for a tube project.

Cheers

Ian

I'm building my first tube eq, a recpro inspired pultec. Let me know if you have questions. I've had many along the way.
Thank you!! I really appreciate that!
Are you in the middle of the build still? If you have a thread of the build going send it to me, I’d love to see.

Thank you!! I really appreciate that!
Are you in the middle of the build still? If you have a thread of the build going send it to me, I’d love to see.
I'm building the case and waiting on orders to finish coming in. Finalizing the BOM took a while because I changed my mind a few times deciding on components. I'll put up photos when I get further into it. I want to post good pics of wiring because those are harder to find.

Ron’s Recpro Pultecs are killer if you can afford the kit. You can also source the BOM and go for it if you get the cases from him.

His kits have absolutely top components. I build two years ago and use them on nearly every session

I'm building the case and waiting on orders to finish coming in. Finalizing the BOM took a while because I changed my mind a few times deciding on components. I'll put up photos when I get further into it. I want to post good pics of wiring because those are harder to find.
Ahh makes sense. Yes good call good wiring photos can be very hard to come by as well as life savers.

Ron’s Recpro Pultecs are killer if you can afford the kit. You can also source the BOM and go for it if you get the cases from him.

His kits have absolutely top components. I build two years ago and use them on nearly every session
Woooo that is a high price there. I’m gonna guess though much like vintage amps those components make the magic happen? Or can say a 1k build still have that special something.

Woooo that is a high price there. I’m gonna guess though much like vintage amps those components make the magic happen? Or can say a 1k build still have that special something.
I've found that $1300 will get you a good one, but upgrading transformers (like CineMag CM-S217D) will put you around $1800. Still less than the $2195 kit, but not too far away. I'm at $1850 on mine.

I've found that $1300 will get you a good one, but upgrading transformers (like CineMag CM-S217D) will put you around $1800. Still less than the $2195 kit, but not too far away. I'm at $1850 on mine.
Ahhh that makes sense. From some of the A/Bing I’ve heard it seems like that one thing makes something go from good to great. So time to start saving up then. The one you’re 1850 in on who’s pcb did you start with?

Ahhh that makes sense. From some of the A/Bing I’ve heard it seems like that one thing makes something go from good to great. So time to start saving up then. The one you’re 1850 in on who’s pcb did you start with?
I'm using the turret board layout from recproaudio.com, as well as some of the info at Pultec EQP-1a Equalizers and Kits - RecPro Audio, and some other builds I've come across. Recproaudio has a parts list from 2013 or 2014 that is helpful but needs a little updating. I can share mine with you tomorrow when I get back to my computer. I'm doing other stuff today.

I'm using the turret board layout from recproaudio.com, as well as some of the info at Pultec EQP-1a Equalizers and Kits - RecPro Audio, and some other builds I've come across. Recproaudio has a parts list from 2013 or 2014 that is helpful but needs a little updating. I can share mine with you tomorrow when I get back to my computer. I'm doing other stuff today.
That would be awesome! Thats extremely helpful. No rush what so ever :)

No problem. I just put a few more things in there, BOM and spec sheets. It seems there's no spec sheet yet for the Cinemag HS-29. I'm guessing it's too new. Also, the recpro layout doesn't spell out where each wire of the inductor goes, but if you look at the spec sheet, it shows the mh for each wire, which is shown on the filter schematic. And the wire colors in the layout are for the cheaper Sowters, not the more pricey Cinemags, however, the data sheets and schematics tell us where everything goes.

Latest posts

Back