High end dj mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hegeldas

Hello, i would like to build me a very high end 4ch stereo dj mixer, i think to 4 stereo vca for fader and i am looking for a good design for the eq part, at least 2 bands no more 4 bands, parametric why not but sounding is the fisrt thing i m looking for any idea for pcb for this application?

Why VCA? for the parametric eq you can pick anyone you like and build as many bands as you want with the freq range you want. Would you need phono preamp?

JS

Is you want VCA take a look at THAT CORP Design Notes. There are examples on volume control with VCA

2 band EQ?? simple Baxandall circuit should be fine...you can go 3 band with semi parametric mids with Studer 169. I use my Studer 962 EQ every day and sounds sweet, not surgical but makes everything shine and fat

I'm interested to know what the application is, and how you define high end... It's great to build the best unit you can for any application, but if it is for night club use, the mixer is very rarely the weakest link in the chain.

There's a marked difference between pioneer mixers (which sound pretty bad) and then Allen & Heath xone series let's say, and then Rodec and Rane which are apparently a step up again, though I have no personal experience with those.

But all of those will probably not be the 'weak link' in the chain for any live application. Home use is another matter, maybe!

Not trying to be dismissive here. I'd be delighted so see such a project get off the ground, but itd only be worth exploring for me if it was clear how it'd be better than current commercial offerings.

rob_gould said:
There's a marked difference between pioneer mixers (which sound pretty bad) and then Allen & Heath xone series let's say, and then Rodec and Rane which are apparently a step up again, though I have no personal experience with those.

absolutely right,

take a look at Rane tech notes, also Formula Sound, Bozak and Rodec...these are three of the best dj mixers made. It's pretty easy to find Phono preamp schems on the web.

Would you use turntables using RIAA eq? you can build your own preamps (tube, solid state...)

Latest posts

Back