How fast a 2520 can be destroyed ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="vertiges"]In fact, the real guilty one is Peter !!! :evil: [/quote]

Yes... I'm racked with guilt. I don't know where to turn. Oh look, is that a bird on Mrs. Colthard's roof?

[quote author="vertiges"]He sells very fragile 2520 ! You just overload them with a few millivolts and they smell like hell !!! :green:[/quote]
yeah...

How DARE he sell an op-amp which is capable of so much luvverly output power that it can turn on a light bulb... why if you were to try and use such a device for audio, it would probably make things sound... -I don't know... -"BIG" and "Powerful" and "MIGHTY"!

-Shame on him... -ETERNAL shame!

...In the meantime, everyone else should note that these appear to be pretty darned sweet... -Peter, I think I'll buy a pair from you for my own rather evil porpoises...

Keef

I have my second 312 with one of peters 2520's on board almost ready to go.
No 1 sounded FAB :green: ( went to a mate though and won't be coming back )

In the midst if making No 1 I also totally "fried" a perfectly good 990, if that's
any consolation .... it was just a power short on my stripboard
MM. :oops:

What was the monty python skit .............
miserable fat belgen bastards ?
and who wanted to win wimbleton ?

And isn't PP what your kids do in their pants ?

generous offer to replace the xistors though ,
do you have any boards or kits for sale ?

EVERYBODY TAKE NOTE:

Lesson to be learned: When working on stripboard, ALWAYS protect ICs, DC-coupled transformers, expensive semiconductors and DOA's, by powering up in a 'Safe' manner, and measure voltages at inputs, outputs and power pins BEFORE powering up with expensive bits involved...

Pehaps that should be in a meta somewhere?

Keith

Hey Keith,

Not to hijaak, but I imagine that would then be a 928 block, correct? I feel quite bad for you; I know how costly any replacement parts for those are, as are all the 924/944/928/968 series cars. In my (not much) younger and (again, not much) stupider days, we had a 924S in the garage that we were in the process of race prepping, and it needed a new CFI distribution block and computer (L-Jetronic, K-Jetronic? Can't really recall). That was a less than fun expense.

After we had spent a rather inordinately large amount on a rather disproportionately small number of items, we shelved the project and sold the car to a 924/944 race team, who then went defunct and never paid us. Porsches can deliver especially painful and expensive lessons.

I imagine a block would be a rather painful slap to the wallet indeed. What year might the car be?

That was an '84 928... a long time ago!

These days I'm rocking an '89 951 -the 'Turbo-S', which only gets worked upon by a VERY experienced mechanic (Crew chief for 3rd-placed car at Le Mans in 2004) who hac been the ONLY person inside the motor since the car was built in '89...

Some lessons only need to be learned once! :evil:

Sunset_rear_turbo.jpg

Keith

Hi,

I explained "my story" to David Geren, Vice President of Cinemag.
(What a great support service they offer ! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: )

Here is his answer :

Dear Edouard;

I am sorry to hear that your “smoke test” did actually smoke. In all probability, when the amplifier died, the output transistor going to your +15V rail fused to form a direct short which passed all of the current your power supply could deliver through the transformer limited by the transformer’s dc resistance. That would have magnetized the core.

A magnetized transformer core exhibits increased THD. Also, being magnetized, its maximum output level will be significantly reduced. If you have the proper test equipment, you could do a low frequency THD test to determine how badly magnetized it really is if you have another known good transformer to compare it with.

Theoretically, you could demagnetize it by passing a high enough signal level through it. Next you would run the signal up to a level which is high enough to overcome the magnetization and then reduce the signal level. The frequency that it would be done at, by the way, is not an issue so long as it is within the band that the transformer will react to. However, you probably will require a power amplifier capable of delivering the signal at a high enough ac voltage to do the job. After doing that, you would have to test the transformer for THD to assure that the job has been properly done. This is a lot of work and the chance of returning the transformer to original specifications probably is not good.

The bulk tape eraser idea, again, is theoretically good. . . but it will not work. You probably will not be able to generate an intense enough field to do the job.

The best way to save the laminations is to bring it to a temperature to above the Curie Point (Mme. Curie was a French scientist who was, along with her husband, very important in early work on the nature of the atom). Above this critical temperature, the core no longer can support a magnetic field. This requires a furnace running at over 1000 degrees F. Again, the transformer would not like the environment.

Consider the transformer to be "dead." If you send it to us, I can test it for you. First, I must point out that a new CMOQ-2S is currently selling for $26.83 + shipping. Knowing that yours probably is badly magnetized and factoring in the value of your time, I suggest that you simply order a replacement.

With future experiments, I have one piece of advice which I have personally learned the hard way and which you now know: Check out stages in circuits de-coupled from each other. Next test them for function. Finally, hook them all together to verify that the whole system works.

Best regards,
David

[quote author="vertiges"]In all probability, when the amplifier died, the output transistor going to your +15V rail fused to form a direct short which passed all of the current your power supply could deliver through the transformer limited by the transformer’s dc resistance.[/quote]
Exactly. that's why I told you to measure resistance from the output pin to the power pin(s) with the op-amp disconnected... looking for a dead-short output transistor.
[quote author="vertiges"]That would have magnetized the core. [/quote]
Absolutely.
[quote author="vertiges"]A magnetized transformer core exhibits increased THD. Also, being magnetized, its maximum output level will be significantly reduced. If you have the proper test equipment, you could do a low frequency THD test to determine how badly magnetized it really is if you have another known good transformer to compare it with. [/quote]
Yes indeed, the magnetic limit will be reahed on one side a LONG time before the other. LF will be the simplest way to measure it of course... -you could probably tell by LISTENING to a pure LF sine wave and comparing it to a good one.

[quote author="vertiges"]The bulk tape eraser idea, again, is theoretically good. . . but it will not work. You probably will not be able to generate an intense enough field to do the job.[/quote]
It depends on the bulk eraser. -A LEEVERS-RICH 16" high-penetration model would be able to do it... something aimed at doing ¼" tape would stand NO chance whatsoever. -Back in the UK I had one which would do this, but not here in the USA.

[quote author="vertiges"]..Curie point...[/quote]
I thought about that, and you can get most magnets to a point where they temprarily lost their magnetism (It's how Weller TCP soldering irons reguilate their temperature) but to make the loss of magnetism in the iron permanent, the copper would already be liquid, so I didn't even go there...

[quote author="vertiges"]With future experiments, I have one piece of advice which I have personally learned the hard way and which you now know: Check out stages in circuits de-coupled from each other. Next test them for function. Finally, hook them all together to verify that the whole system works. [/quote]
Word. -hence my early comment regarding this being a stripboard layout so therefore untested. -Once someone's built a dozen identical PCB layouts, you can usually assume that the layout is good and take it as read that all the necessary connections are probably made, but I still power up with no ICs in sockets and measure voltage at pins, and if there's no DC blocking cap in the transformer feeds, I leave transformers unconnected also.

Basically David has mainly confirmed and expanded upon what's already been said... mind you, I can bet that the experience has probably cost you about $50, but taught you a lesson worth $1000... -Believe me, you WON'T do that again, and doin git on this and losing $50 is MUCH better than doing it on something irreplaceable, or a 1500-Watt power supply design...

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]
-Believe me, you WON'T do that again, and doin git on this and losing $50 is MUCH better than doing it on something irreplaceable, or a 1500-Watt power supply design...
Keith[/quote]

It seems we arrive at the exact same conclusion !!! :wink:

The sad thing is I've learnt electronics during my 3 years of sound engineer studies... That was 13 about years ago. ( :shock: Rhaaa... I'm getting old)
As I haven't practiced electronics since, I forgot about 90 %. :cry: It's like I've almost to start from the beginning...

In the past, I've to confess I didn't really care about electronics. Knowing the basics was enough for me. All I wanted is to record, to mix... to play with the gear !! :twisted:

But, now, for example with my GSSL, I've realized I'm totally in love with the feeling to know what's happening "inside the machine" when I turn a knobs ! :wink:

eD))

Back