How to sync Tascam 38 or 48 tape machine to DAW

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, in this case you don't have to use the 38 pin cable.

Basically, you have to :

-record a SMPTE signal on track 8 (I think the timepiece can function as smpte generator, otherwise you can use a smpte generator vst plugin)
-Connect the output of track 8 to the smpte input of the time piece, and connect the midi output of the time piece to the midiinput of your DAW (sync on, sync to MTC from midiport, etc)
-Of course you have to setup the synchronisation settings of your daw program. I guess the timepiece will function as SMPTE to MTC converter straight away, but maybe I'm wrong on that. Check the manual.

Then..... Hit the play button of your 48, and the daw should follow.

Which format of smpte to choose.... without using video, it doesn't really matter, as long as you use the same format throughout. I suggest that if you live in an NTSC country, choose 30 frames, if you live in a PAL country, choose 25 frames, etc, etc.

The Motu unit I have is @ twelve years old, but basically brand NIB. The Digital Time Piece is a different 
machine from the Midi Time Piece.
I couldn't even sell it for 25 dollars at one point, so I decided to keep it with the intent of using it as we are talking about here.
At one point I was experimenting with syncing an Alesis HD24 with my Radar24 in order to have more tracks OTB. I was having mild success, but gave up due to time restraints. I'm sure it can be done though.
I now have an eight-track Otari which I'd like to get working with the Radar and/or my DAW so, at some point, I'll be re-visiting the Digital Time Piece.
Would someone still need to stripe a track on their  tape machine with SMPTEif  the tape deck has a Sony nine-pin connector?

Could the machines be synced together WITHOUT striping a track and losing a track of tape, by connecting the Tascam's accessory port (38 pin) to a MOTU and then to the DAW? I want all 8 tracks of tape if possible.

No, you always need a SMPTE time track. Although some recorders have a dedicated time track (very few). The 48 doesn't have a dedicated time track.

Same goes for the Sony format by the way.

IIRC, Betacam SX and DigiBetacam have dedicated smptetracks, as well as the 1"C and 1" B formats. But it's long ago since I worked with these machines, so, I could be wrong on that matter.

For good sync you could also look into getting an adam smith zeta  III,
they don't go for much these days.

It will read smpte from tape, regenerate it locked to a wordclock, control the motors of the tape machine and sync all the machines to your timecode source of choice.

Not all tape machines come standard with variable speed motors, but some higher end ones do. In addition to a SMPTE to machine control, you may also need a personality module/cable to mate the specific machine to the generic controller.

This could be useful for syncing video tape to audio tape machines. For audio tape sync to DAW just stripe a track with SMPTE and be ready to roll with the tape as the master controlling the session.

JR

j.frad said:
For good sync you could also look into getting an adam smith zeta  III,
they don't go for much these days.

It will read smpte from tape, regenerate it locked to a wordclock, control the motors of the tape machine and sync all the machines to your timecode source of choice.

that's a overkill vs what is needed.

Can Otari mx-5050s be slaved to a DAW or is it the same deal as the tascam 38?
Also, I heard that striping SMPTE damages the heads somehow. Is that true?

Hello All,
For new comers to Timecode operation and sync, I would first recommend to read this Timeline manual :
http://faculty.spokanefalls.edu/InetShare/AutoWebs/steveg/SmpteMadeSimple.pdf
After that, you can ask me your questions    :)
Pucho wrote :
" that's a overkill vs what is needed "
Sorry, but this is a very stupid statement !  :-[
Or can you explain more why you consider it is overkill ?
Best,
Guy

Aah - tape sync. Before firewire came around, this was the only studio topic that would make grown men weep.

An important thing to be aware of: Last time I checked (3-4years ago), none of our studio's DAW's (PTHD, Logic) would record while sync'ed to external code. Playback worked fine, but there was massive problems while recording.

Which makes hardware machine-control a must - tape must follow DAW, as it won't record the other way around.

We ended up using TimeLine Lynx systems - they're pretty good at this.

So before deciding on technology, verify that your DAW will record in externally-controlled varispeed.

Jakob E.

Orpheus said:
Can Otari mx-5050s be slaved to a DAW
Provided you have a synchronizer and the adapter, yes.
Also, I heard that striping SMPTE damages the heads somehow. Is that true?
This is ridiculous. SMPTE is just a signal; the fact that it is unpleasant to the ear does not automatically imply that it's damageable to the equipment. Striping the tapes is just one additional pass of tape on the heads. Using a synchronizer could be seen as damageable to the heads somewhat because of the numerous stop-and-go's, but in the end, not more than parking the tape manually.

Latest posts

Back